Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Bombshell (Jay Roach, December 20, 2019) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Aug 21, 2019.

1. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

On Wednesday, Lionsgate released the first teaser for the film, which depicts news anchors Gretchen Carlson (Nicole Kidman), Megyn Kelly (Charlize Theron) and others facing years of misconduct by the FOX News boss and their decision to take him down.

In addition to Theron and Kidman, the cast includes Alice Eve as Fox & Friends co-host Ainsley Earhardt, Alanna Ubach as Justice With Judge Jeanine host Jeanine Pirro, Allison Janney as Ailes’ legal counsel Susan Estrich, Mark Duplass as novelist Douglas Brunt, Malcolm McDowell as media mogul Rupert Murdoch, and John Lithgow as Ailes. While most of the cast portrays real-life figures on both sides of the scandal, Margot Robbie plays a composite character, Kayla Pospisil, a FOX News associate producer invented for the film

Hopefully better than Vice

2. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

when was the last good jay roach movie

3. Henry

Moderator Moderator

who asked for this

4. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

they sure did make charlize look like megyn kelly tho

5. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Trumbo wasn't bad but Louie is in it so I'll probably never see it again

Anthony_ likes this.
  6. fowruok

Trusted Supporter

Seriously. My wife pretty much has a 100% success rate at guessing these things, and she had no idea.

7. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

truly unsettling

8. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Zilla likes this.
  9. iCarly Rae Jepsen

oh yeah this is a thing

wait why and Charlize and Lithgow just using their normal voices and lol at Bad Guy , that being said I will love this

10. phaynes12

the prosthetics in this border on uncanny valley for me

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  11. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I still don't know who this is for

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  12. phaynes12

Very Woke White People

basically the girlfriend’s family in Get Out

13. iCarly Rae Jepsen

based on Kate McKinnon in the trailer people who find the politics stuff on SNL funny and like 5 people like me who would watch any movie starring Charlize Theron and Margot Robbie

14. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Ellen

15. phaynes12

Ellen won’t see it bc she’s pissed she didn’t get a cameo and verbally assaulted her personal assistant afterwards

riotspray likes this.
  16. iCarly Rae Jepsen

17. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

big time lol at Lithgow saying "This could kill Fox News!!!"

also

Yeah this was my biggest worry about this movie as well.

18. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I agree with what Ira said about them treating Megyn Kelly, Gretchen Carlson and Margot Robbie’s composite character as heroes and does the bare minimum of showing what a racist network Fox News is and how they weren’t great.

Margot is the best of the cast because she’s not chained to an impersonation and Lithgow is a legit monster. But it gets real goofy when it expands its scope and you have all of these kind-of look-a-likes of Fox News folks that take you of it.

I really don’t like this annual trend of “Comedy director does an important movie about politics.” Much like other people have said and similar to how I felt about “Vice,” I have no idea who this is for.

riotspray likes this.
  19. iCarly Rae Jepsen Dec 28, 2019
    (Last edited: Dec 28, 2019)
    iCarly Rae Jepsen

I found Charlize's Megyn voice so unnerving I had to be like does she really sound like that and I think it's just that there is something deeply unnerving about Megyn Kelly
    they were definitely too nice to Gretchen Carlson, the scene where she was at Whole Foods and she told the liberal lady who called her an asshole that you should be nice to people who disagree with you was eep
    they also made the Murdochs not as bad as they should have
    Kate McKinnon flirting with Margot Robbie and then telling the Bill O'Reilly falafel story and Allison Janney doing an intense Penny Marshall New York accent were incredible, as was Richard Kind
    Margot Robbie calling herself an influencer in the Jesus space and talking about church jeans killed me, as did Nicole Kidman eating Shake Shack and yelling at Janet
    when they were mentioning the Ailes complaints I wish they had included the one that said his dick looks like a raw hamburger
    I liked that everyone apparently hates Jeanine and Kimberly Guilfoyle
    the framing around Trump and them being like this guy won't be president wink wink was a bit annoying but otherwise I think the fourth wall stuff was fine
    I do agree I'm not sure why we're making Fox News movies for CNN viewers, and I think it's hard to nail a way to say Conservative women are fucked over by the patriarchy without being like hey they also reinforce to it

Victor Eremita, riotspray and Zilla like this.
  20. Morrissey

Trusted

From Vice to W. to Bombshell, why do so many movies think that the primary effort should be going toward looking and sounding exactly like the person? That is a party trick, not an interesting tactic to take on trying to create a narrative.

CarpetElf likes this.
  21. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Tom Hanks looks/sounds nothing like Mr. Rogers yet gave a performance 100 times as interesting as the ones you mentioned.

phaynes12 likes this.
  22. Morrissey

Trusted

You are always limited to some degree with the actors you can choose for a role (an elderly actor can't play a high school student, for example), but this obsession with complete impersonation puts you in a really small box and it never ends well.

That was only halfway through this disaster. It gets so much worse. They have a part near the end where they trot out impersonations of nearly every major FOX personality for no real use. A few seconds of people who look like Geraldo Rivera and Sean Hannity just so people in the audience can say "hey I know that guy!"

riotspray likes this.
  23. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Felt and looked like SNL sketches.

24. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

There's always (at least) one movie that drops around awards season that on paper (cast, crew, plot) seems like it could be a contender, but on screen just comes across like a parody.

25. Morrissey

Trusted

"Directed by Jay Roach" indicated how bad it was going to be very early.

joe.boy.fresh. and phaynes12 like this.