Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Bohemian Rhapsody (Dexter Fletcher, November 2, 2018) Movie • Page 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Henry, May 15, 2018.

1. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

2. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Attached Files:

Dog with a Blog likes this.
  3. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

That's not even the worst. The movie shows Freddie being diagnosed with AIDS prior to Live Aid but he wasn't axtually diagnosed until 2 years later. The movie also shows them performing Fat Bottom Girls 2 years before it was released.

SteveLikesMusic likes this.
  4. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

And them coming up with We Will Rock You in the studio three years the album it was on came out. My biggest pet peeve with movies is how biopics/based-on-true-stories take a big dramatic license on events or even mess up information or timelines, especially for a well-documented band like Queen

riotspray likes this.
  5. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

blame brian may

Connor and riotspray like this.
  6. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I'm normally not a stickler for artistic license. But the complete fudging of Queen's breakup and Freddie's AIDS diagnosis to add drama to the movie is pretty gross.

Joe4th and riotspray like this.
  7. This was fine.

8. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

i hated it. no attachment to any of the characters. they were all completely shallow. also thought that it took off way to quickly in the beginning. would have liked to see some initial struggle. they should have just played the OG performance of the live aid scene or at least spliced it in with the movie.

i just didn't like anything about this

Connor likes this.
  9. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

This was fine. Rami was brilliant and this would probably fall apart completely without him. The Live Aid scene was spectacular though. I felt like I was there. The best parts really were just when it was showing the band perform.

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  10. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

So I think Rami gave half of a good performance. He was much better as short hair Freddie.

I'm not sure how Brian May felt it was a good idea to have them show writing songs years before or after they were actually written. Its just a weird decision to make for a biopic. Its also weird that they made up a character just so they could go meta with Mike Myers. I dunno, when the movie ended i just felt like it was "fine" it wasn't the worst but it wasn't good either. The Live Aid scene would have been great had they not kept cutting to bad CGI crowds and also made it seem like nobody called in to donate until Queen played. Pretty cringey.

All that said... Tim from Jurassic Park has the best style during Live Aid.

Zilla, RobJGolde, Mary V and 2 others like this.
  11. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

It was bugging me all movie where I'd seen the guy playing John Deacon before, and ultimately didn't conclude Jurassic Park, but The Pacific. Then was shocked to remember Rami Malek was in that as well lol.

johnnyferris, aoftbsten and Connor like this.
  12. johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

Sledge and Snafu haha

13. RobJGolde

Wrecked 'em? Damn near killed 'em!

Finally saw it. it’s a passable biopic. Rami’s performance was great though and helped me forgive some of the timeline inaccuracies. And the Live Aid sequence was done really well. I think it is historically accurate that Live Aid donations barely coming in until Queen’s performance caught everyone’s attention, but was it necessary to involve it in the plot? Not really.

14. Sean Murphy Dec 6, 2018
    (Last edited: Dec 6, 2018)
    Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

we saw this last night and mostly enjoyed it. Malek was truly incredible in it, reading about how he prepared for the role afterwards was very impressive. don't know if he will get any Oscar attention but, it was a great performance.

there were glaring inaccuracies, and they were so glaring that you have to imagine they were done with intent, like, they knew some songs weren't released by certain points, but needed a narrative and needed to tell a story so they said fuck it.

the thing that i guess bothered me was that the movie made it seem like the band got back together to perform live aid because freddie was dying/had aids, which we all know historically wasn't the case, but i imagine they wanted the live aid performance to bookend the film, and if they went historically, his aids diagnosis wouldn't be in the film at all, so again they decided on narrative over accuracy, but i don't think any of the inaccuracies took away from the actual film itself, so it was mostly fine.

gwilym lee was extraordinary as well, and feel like his performance is overlooked due to how good remi was.

my wife was in shock to learn john deacon was timmy from jurassic park lol

15. RobJGolde

Agreed about Gwilym Lee, he does an EXCELLENT Brian May portrayal. I also wish they had fleshed out Paul Prenter and Jim Hutton a little more. Like, I know the stories about how Paul drove a wedge between Freddie and the band and that Roger Taylor couldn’t stand him. However, with the way he was written/portrayed, I didn’t find myself caring much about him and thought Ben Hardy as Roger came off as childish when he would be confrontational towards Paul.

16. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

17. RobJGolde

Cool i suppose? That was one thing about the Live Aid sequence I was curious about- leaving those 2 songs out. And again, i feel like the movie would’ve been nomination worthy if they had dove a little deeper into Freddies sexuality, the characters of Paul Prenter and Jim Hutton and not fucked up the timeline concerning Freddie’s diagnosis. It was entertaining, but again, it could’ve been so much more. Rami’s performance made it worth it though.

18. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Rami is excellent in an otherwise subpar movie.

RobJGolde and johnnyferris like this.
  19. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

I was excited to see this until I heard about all the "liberties" they took with the story. I'd still like to see it, but I'll probably wait for the home release since it's only 2 weeks away. Would've liked to have seen the Live Aid stuff on a big screen, but maybe I'll go see something else and then just sneak in for the last 20 minutes like I've been thinking of doing.

RobJGolde likes this.
  20. RobJGolde

I had heard about all of the liberties too, which was a bummer because I love this band so much and Freddie was such a unique, fascinating and complex person. Hopefully the extra footage will bring some more of that out.

riotspray likes this.
  21. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

22. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Finally watched this. No idea how this got an editing nomination. And I also didn’t think Rami was that great, seemed more like an impersonation. Obviously huge issues with how they portray his sexuality and illness as well.

RobJGolde likes this.
  23. RobJGolde

I thought his performance was very good, but I do agree that his illness and his secuality weren’t done proper justice.
    At the same time though, I know freddie was very private about his personal life and his illness, and wanted his music and his ability as a performer to be the center of attention, so I think Brian and Roger wanted to respect that about him.
    Do i think the movie would’ve been better off with more emphasis on his sexuality and illness? Definitely.
    My biggest gripe with how they portray his illness is how they made it seem like he was diagnosed and told the rest of the band right before Live Aid. I think the movie would’ve been better off if they had continued past Live Aid to detail how after his diagnosis, he went on to record “Barcelona” and Queen’s 2 best albums which featured some of his best vocal performances despite being so ill. The story around the recording of “The Show Must Go On” is legendary.

24. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Amy Nicholson and Paul Scheer destroying this movie on their podcast UNSPOOLED is amazing. I and they don't know why people are so enamored with this movie, but I was glad to finally hear real, dissenting opinions on this very so-so film.

25. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

It's an enjoyable movie? The music is great, the performances are really good. It's not the best movie of the year by any stretch but it's understandable why people like it.

coleslawed likes this.