Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Bohemian Rhapsody (Dexter Fletcher, November 2, 2018) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Henry, May 15, 2018.

1. Henry

Moderator Moderator

2. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

I know Freddie had ridiculous teeth, but these look like dollar store chompers.

Can't wait to see this.

3. I'm wondering if Singer will end up being credited as the director. He got fired after filming most of it, then Dexter Fletcher got hired to finish it. His name isn't in the trailer or any promotion that I've seen, so it seems like the studio is trying to distance the movie from him.

Movie looks... ok? I can't really tell from that trailer, but I like Rami Malek.

4. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Yeah I doubt Singer is credited as the director on this thing when it comes out. No way does the studio want this associated with him.

5. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I'll change the title. I actually forgot he got fired. That whole situation was a bit crazy.

6. Anthony_

Technically they could still credit him. I just would be really surprised if they do and hope they don't.

7. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

yeah I'm not sure about seeing this with the whole Singer thing, especially because he got fired for ghosting them and not for being a creep

also not sure if this is still the originally pitched version where half the movie is about the band coping after Freddie's death which would be insane
    Sacha Baron Cohen: I quit Freddie Mercury biopic after dispute with Queen

8. Man, Rami looks great.

sophos34 likes this.
  9. Dog with a Blog

1. I also wonder who will be credited as director or rather, if Singer has to be mentioned on this legally at all. I dunno how that worked with All the Money in the World
    2. The guy playing Brian May...it's uncanny

sophos34, RobJGolde and BornToRun like this.
  10. Anthony_

11. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I have a feeling this will not be good. Already too much baggage surrounding it. It's been in the works for nearly a decade, Sacha quit, Director got fired.

Hoping I'm wrong.

12. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

My heart swelled up so much watching (and listening to!) this trailer. Instant excitement.

13. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I wish the trailer was more than just a montage of songs. I hope this is good, cautiously optimistic

Dog with a Blog and BornToRun like this.
  14. I actually thought the mash-up really worked for a first trailer, and would assume we'll get a second with more detailed footage closer to release

bradsonemanband likes this.
  15. RobJGolde

Wrecked 'em? Damn near killed 'em!

I said the same thing about the actor playing Brian May. I thought that part was overdubbed with Brian's voice.

Dog with a Blog likes this.
  16. RobJGolde

Yeah I don't think that would go over too well. I think it chronicles the band's formation to their performance at LiveAid, which if I'm not mistaken, Freddie had been diagnosed with AIDS in the months leading up to the show.

17. RobJGolde

‘Bohemian Rhapsody’: Bryan Fuller Slams Fox For Ignoring Freddie Mercury’s Sexuality and AIDS Diagnosis in Trailer and Synopsis

Can't say I agree with this person's take on the trailer. The writer says the trailer is "heterosexual-washing" Freddie's story because you see him twirling a woman around in the trailer and it doesn't make reference to the fact that he was also attracted to men.

1) I feel like the general public knows Freddie was attracted to men, but most probably don't all realize he was bisexual. This might pique people's interest in doing more research on Freddie's story prior to seeing the movie.
    2) Freddie had a girlfriend for many years that he was still in love with until he died, and he left her all of his money and his estate. The woman in the trailer that he's twirling could likely be his girlfriend in the movie. (I know this all seems like random knowledge to have, but I'm a massive Queen fan and I saw it in a documentary a couple years ago)
    3) This one of probably 3 trailers that are gonna be released for this movie, so there's still time for them to reference his bisexuality on top of the actual movie referencing it.

coleslawed and sophos34 like this.
  18. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Seems weird to be so mad that a minute long teaser trailer with barely any dialogue and mostly live performances of songs doesn't show everything you need to see. It would be so weird if in the middle of all that music it just goes "AND HE HAS AIDS."

I certainly hope they do cover all of that in the movie, and I assume they would, but relax brother.

19. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

i liked the trailer but if the movie as a whole does skip the entire sexuality/AIDS storyline, that is a massive, massive miscalculation

20. RobJGolde

I agree completely. I highly doubt that they’d skip out on it entirely though, that’d be super fucked up. I do however think it’s possible that they won’t make it a pivotal plot mechanism or whatever because, for as big as his on-stage personality was, Freddie was apparently quite shy and kept his personal life to himself as best as he could. Who knows though? Guess we’ll have to wait and see, but i’m confident it won’t be left out entirely.

21. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I wish Twitter threads existed when the first Dark Knight trailer came out so I could be outraged that the entire movie didn't have any actual footage

22. Anthony_ May 15, 2018
    (Last edited: May 15, 2018)
    Anthony_

I get the ultimate point of it being important from both an accuracy standpoint and a representation standpoint to lead off the marketing push with Freddy being shown to have both male and female love interests, though. As a straight/cis guy I’m not going to pretend to know what having/not having that kind of representation means to a member of the LGBTQ community like Fuller.

23. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

The movie is going to cover it, its slightly hinted at in the super short TEASER trailer. The teaser's only message is "this dude wrote some fuckin' dope music am I right?". To immediately go public and criticize it for washing over those aspects based on this alone is just dumb

But not as dumb as me giving a shit about any of that so sorry m8's hope it's a good flick

RobJGolde likes this.
  24. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

idk it's not like there isn't a history of sanitized biopics so I could see it as a legit concern, especially with someone like Freddie Mercury
    plus he wasn't diagnosed with AIDS until 2 years after Live Aid so even if it does touch on his sexuality they clearly didn't want to deal with that

RobJGolde, Anthony_ and Contender like this.
  25. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

The teaser definitely played up his songwriting and vocal talent/charisma but seemed to follow the typical musical biopic formula. Still looking forward to it.