Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Bob Dylan Band • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by DaydreamNation, Apr 7, 2016.

1. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Recently tried to get into Dylan, bought Free Wheelin', Highway 61, and Blood on the Tracks to sort of get a good cross section of him. Think I enjoyed Blood on the Tracks most. Feel like the music and lyrics were consistently strong on all three albums (maybe Free Wheelin' is a slight notch lower in terms of lyrics). Feel like I like him best when he's not adopting this particular vocal affectation a lot, it comes off a little ill fitting at times imo

Anti-Counter-Culture likes this.
  2. zmtr

Trusted

This is just fucking insane.

3. Blaine Ryan

That whole '69-'71 period where he was just making simple, folksy music in the woods and deliberately eschewing the whole "prophet of our time" thing is one of my favorites.

I can understand why it was heresy then but looking back it's a lot easier to see it as just a delightful little niche era.

Aregala and zmtr like this.
  4. zmtr

Trusted

100% agree.

Aregala likes this.
  5. zmtr

Trusted

"When I Paint My Masterpiece - Demo" from Another Self Portrait (1969-1971): The Bootleg Series Vol. 10 might be in my top 5 all time Dylan recordings. Just thought I'd let you guys know lol

6. Anti-Counter-Culture

Regular

Anyone else love the crap out of John Wesley Harding? It seems to have a good enough rep, but of all his canonical releases, it doesn't seem to get much attention.

Aregala, coleslawed and Blaine Ryan like this.
  7. Blaine Ryan

It's either top 5 or pretty damn close for me.

Anti-Counter-Culture likes this.
  8. Anti-Counter-Culture

Regular

It's been a contendor for number one, but Blond on Blond beats it by a smidgeon.

9. Blaine Ryan

There's a general aura of mystery about that record that I really love. Greil Marcus wrote a book about it and called it "The Old, Weird America" (he was talking about The Basement Tapes, but it applies).

I also like that it ends with "I'll Be Your Baby Tonight," which is very much a forerunner for the "back to basics" motif his next few records took.

Anti-Counter-Culture and Gjpeace like this.
  10. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

Was inspired by this thread to get back into New Morning and I ended up grabbing it when I saw it at the record store the other day. Great album! I particularly love all of the piano based stuff.

Blaine Ryan likes this.
  11. Blaine Ryan

Need a few tubs of this.

[​IMG]

truelovewaits and DaydreamNation like this.
  12. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

13. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

The Old, Weird America is one of the best music books ever.

14. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

It's a shame we don't talk about Bob Dylan more on this site.

truelovewaits likes this.
  15. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

I should probably get around to listening to one of his gospel records

zmtr likes this.
  16. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

17. zmtr

Trusted

Been obsessed with Nashville Skyline the past few weeks

18. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

Wanna do it together at some point? I've heard the songs but not the albums.

19. zmtr

Trusted

Exactly a year ago haha

20. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

zmtr likes this.
  21. zmtr

Trusted

22. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

His gospel stuff is really underrated, hopefully this new Bootleg Series gets more people on board with it. This performance is incredible

23. Blaine Ryan

A lot of his diehards think the gospel years were his best ever as a live performer, which is tough to dispute.

Shot of Love is a record everyone with more than a casual interest in Dylan should hear, in my opinion. I've struggled over the years to really connect with Slow Train and Saved, but I think they have great moments and qualities, too.

Excited for this set.

Aregala likes this.
  24. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

This is so good

Aregala likes this.
  25. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

I'm so excited for this set