Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Bob Dylan Band • Page 10

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by DaydreamNation, Apr 7, 2016.

1. tomdelonge

Trusted

Great playlist!

Every Grain Of Sand
    Dark Eyes
    Brownsville Girl

also Oh Mercy was recorded entirely at night and mostly has a midnight mood

and it’s more of an 8 o’clock song, but maybe Don’t Fall Apart On Me Tonight

2. tomdelonge

Trusted

Oh! Murder Most Foul!

also

I Remember You from Empire Burlesque

And on the covers end, Shadows In The Night has a lot of late night tunes: I’m A Fool, The Night We Called It A Day, Some
    Enchanted Evening, Full Moon and Empty Arms

(Semi-related, but on the sorrowful late night standards wavelength, Frank Sinatra’s suicide trilogy is really good. Where Are You?, No One Cares, and Only The Lonely)

3. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

phaynes12 likes this.
  4. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

Thanks for all the thoughts! Will put them on my playlist and sort through them later.

It's funny, you called out songs from some of the few Dylan albums I have never listened to. I've never heard Infidels so that was my first time hearing "Don't Fall Apart On Me Tonight" (what a great song!). Same with Empire Burlesque and Knocked Out Loaded.

I listened to both Shadows in the Night and Fallen Angels a bunch during quarantine because my uncle loaned them to me on vinyl. Spun Fallen Angels more frequently because I loved the b-side; I'll have to give the former another shot.

I'll have to look into those Sinatra albums, though In The Wee Small Hours is always going to be my go-to sorrowful late night Sinatra music.

5. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

6. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

completely deranged ranking. my god.

7. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

there is a lot of Dylan's music I have not listened to before. think this might be the next larger discog I run through. Not really sure on an order if there is a recommended one, but I'm listening to Blood on the Tracks now and it is v good.

Rowan5215 likes this.
  8. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

you started high, Blood on the Tracks is his best album

9. Matt Chylak

This sentence is so funny to me

10. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

Happy 80th to the goat

zmtr likes this.
  11. phaynes12

couldn’t have said it better myself

Aregala likes this.
  12. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

13. Rowan5215

all the love for "Murder Most Foul" fuckin rules

14. raaaaaaaady

Regular Supporter

I think my favorite Dylan will forever be Another Side. But something that has always driven me crazy is that on "I Don't Believe You" I feel like a complete perv because I've always heard him deliver the line, "...but now something has changed, pussy ain't the same..." which I always thought was pretty crass. But, in every instance I've ever seen the lyrics printed, it's "...but now something has changed, for she ain't the same..."

Please, somebody tell me they hear it the same as I do. Haha. The preceding line of "her mouth was watery and wet" always made me assume that I was correct, but, alas, maybe my mind has always been in the gutter.

15. Matt Chylak

a mercurial genius whose antennae are always picking up his own frequencies. the most important songwriter of all time. happy 80th birthday Bob.

16. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Happy 80th to the best to ever do it

Rowan5215 and zmtr like this.
  17. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

station here is playing only bob until 10 pm

they're going chronological and we should be coming up on "Jokerman" and Infidels soon

hoping we get all 16+ minutes of "Murder Most Foul" to close things out

Matt Chylak and phaynes12 like this.
  18. phaynes12

omg

19. Matt Chylak

You in Philly? XPN has been doing Dylan all day.

Aregala likes this.
  20. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

nah twin cities

listening to the current

they did in fact end with "murder most foul" though B-)

coleslawed and Matt Chylak like this.
  21. Rowan5215

absolutely rinsing his discog today. one new thing I learned: New Morning is a lot better than I give it credit for, and actually really great

Aregala and Matt Chylak like this.
  22. Matt Chylak

Been jamming that Trouble No More live collection — his live performances in that era were just as fiery as the preceding decades and the religious songs (e.g. “The Groom’s Still Waiting At The Alter”) really cook in these arrangements. Being in that band was probably so fun.

Aregala and Rowan5215 like this.
  23. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

I rec the version of the title track with the horn section if you haven't already heard it

absolute stunner

Rowan5215 likes this.
  24. Matt Chylak

Finally listened to Infidels in full for the first time. Really interesting album to think about, especially coming off his Christian period. Starts and ends great but I find the middle four songs (especially "Neighborhood Bully") to be lower tier. "Jokerman" is obviously a jam and I've known that forever, my other favorites were "Sweetheart Like You" and "Don't Fall Apart On Me Tonight". Shout to @tomdelonge for introing me to the latter for my late night playlist as it's what gave me the final push to cross this one off my list!

tomdelonge and Aregala like this.
  25. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

i like infidels more every time i get back to it. sounds tired and overproduced... yet the songs are often so great

Aregala likes this.