Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Bo Burnham - Make Happy • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by therookielot, Jun 6, 2016.

1. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

Yeah this was refreshing and I'm glad we opened a dialogue. Always nice to have a discussion on these things.

I have similar issues with Louis C.K. but I still love his comedy

electro haikus likes this.
  2. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

Have you watched Louie, the series? There is an awesome, awesome episode that opens with Louie and a few friends around a table playing cards, one of them being gay, and Louie asks him how he feels about the "f" word. The dialogue is great, and shows that Louis had a bit of an "eye opener" moment at some point in terms of how those words can affect people. Doesn't justify a continued use of it, but I think his gay jokes tend to be much more friendly. Like his bit about how can't say he doesn't enjoy giving a guy head because he has never done it and he may wind up doing it at some point, lol. The scene in question if you haven't checked it out:

3. fronkensteen

Trusted

My problem with that song was it wasn't funny.

4. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Horace and Pete (Louis CK's new show) also touches on the use of certain words. And is a GREAT show.

5. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

Yes I have and it's one of my favorite scenes in television. Most people don't know the historical context of that word (believe it or not they did the same with transgender people as well. People forget that transgender people have been around forever) but I'm glad that scene exists. I like how he tries to dismantle the negative connotations of words but at the same time it's important to understand their context.

electro haikus likes this.
  6. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

I'll need to rewatch this, but on first watch I was very much let down. I've also been following Bo for a long time and understand his art, but 90% of this was not funny or as thought provoking as his other material. And the f-word bit was tasteless, unnecessary, and didn't add anything to the performance as a whole and could have easily been left out.

7. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

That Louie scene is a perfect example of how/when "forbidden" words can and should be used.

8. kidwithhelmet

WELCOME THRILLHO Supporter

"turn the lights down their faces creep me out"

9. White

Cum for the Cum God. Prestigious

Just finished this and this dude consistently blows my mind. I'd love it if he'd put out a non-comedy album. He's clearly a brilliant writer, has a serious ear for melody, and his voice is coming along like crazy. Make it happen, Robert.

And re the previous discussion about the other f-word song, my opinion of it is as follows: he's written bits before about the assumptions people make about his sexuality and masculinity (his whole family thinks he's gay, fyi), and so my first thought was, although the bit wasn't contextualized well (or at all, really), it was meant to serve as an example of the kind of idiotic responses he gets from random dickheads with nothing constructive to offer. It may be a reach, but typically even Bo's silliest bits have a layer or two underneath them, so I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume there was at least a little bit of depth there.

Though obviously maybe not, but either way I still found it hilarious just because of how overwhelmingly stupid and obnoxious it was.

10. fronkensteen

Trusted

I'm not sure if I would say he's a brilliant writer. He's a funny dude who has a clever way of mixing humor and existential issues, but I don't think that it's all that deep.

That being said, I still enjoy both specials. I would say that what. is better though.

11. White

I meant more the raw lyrics when I said that, not necessarily his comedy overall. Should've clarified.

12. Jacob Davidson

Regular

I was honestly really disappointed in this after seeing all the praise it got. The ending was the best part but it wasn't nearly as good as what. imo

I Am Mick likes this.
  13. fyebes

Regular Prestigious

not as good as what. but still really enjoyable. wouldn't be surprised if he took a year or two off.

14. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

Just watched this. Maybe it's my audio but I felt like the audience missed a lot of jokes lol.

Bo's a good comedian and a better performer. His specials aren't the funniest thing out there but they're certainly one of the most entertaining.

15. jump start

Total ginger. Prestigious

I really enjoyed this special, but I agree, it wasn't as good as what. I actually got to see what. live in Atlanta a few years ago, though, so it'll always be a little more special for me.

16. therookielot

Punk, Absolute Prestigious

Did anyone watch his show on MTV "Zac Stone is Gonna Be Famous"? That was probably the funniest thing he's done IMO. Such a bummer it only got one season

JRGComedy and Jacob like this.
  17. mad

I was right. Prestigious

That show was so good and although I'm pissed it got canceled, Bo's reaction to it not getting a second season is one of the funniest things ever
    [​IMG]

ChaseTx, Jacob, chewbacca110 and 2 others like this.
  18. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

yesss I loved that show. I think Bo would obviously do better on a different channel than MTV and I hope to see him delve into television later in his career. I imagine a more mature comedy show from him would be amazing.

19. Jacob Davidson

Regular

Also a lot of the bits seem pretty similar to what. after watching a second time. For example, the country song making fun of country is super similar to Repeat Stuff. Making fun of a different genre of music in the same way.

20. therookielot

Punk, Absolute Prestigious

hahaha yeah I remembered that.

Poor guy, he was always so anxious about what people thought before an epsiode aired too. He would live tweet along, got a few tweets liked by him too B)

21. Signifire

Headphones blaring three stacks Prestigious

This was fantastic. Watched it yesterday for the first time and then again today. As others have said, not as funny as what. but maybe better overall. The ending was my favorite part. Also I need Zac Stone on Hulu or Netflix please.

22. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

Watched this yesterday. It was okay. Good but not great. I liked what. more.

23. White

Is this thing ever gonna see an album release?

24. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

I liked this more than What. Laughed a lot.

25. He uploaded his finale to youtube.