Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Bo Burnham - Make Happy

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by therookielot, Jun 6, 2016.

1. therookielot

Punk, Absolute Prestigious

Anyone else watch this yet?

Some great commentary on white privilege and mental health. This kid is brilliant

2. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

My favorite working "comedian"

what. and Make Happy are two of the most amazing specials I've ever seen.

kidwithhelmet likes this.
  3. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

I enjoyed it a good bit, but what. is better by a considerable margin if you ask me.

Jacob Davidson likes this.
  4. Throwback

It was incredible.

5. mad

I was right. Prestigious

I've watched it twice now and the second time there were actual tears in my eyes at the end.

6. therookielot

Punk, Absolute Prestigious

Those lights tho

7. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

what. is probably a funnier special, but Make Happy hits a completely other level of performance art for me. That ending song on the piano is so damn emotional to listen to.

8. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

The "continuity error" joke killed me, much like the "video editor" joke from what.

But yeah I really enjoyed the social commentary and got super emotional at parts.

9. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I loved what. but really wasn't feeling this. Bummer

10. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

I don't see how someone could love "what." and not like this. Sorry for you.

11. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

I prefer What over Make Happy just because I find it funnier, but the commentary of MH is really, really good.

12. Shrek

Exactly how I feel.

13. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

what. is a better comedy special, Make Happy is a better art piece. I do prefer what. just a tiny bit, but the Can't Handle This/Are You Happy back-to-back at the end made me tear up a considerable amount. He hits the nail on the head with a lot of his commentary, mostly regarding white privilege, mental health, and the audience-performer dynamic.

ChaseTx likes this.
  14. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I guess I need to rewatch it because I didn't feel anything the rest of you apparently did haha.

15. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

I watched this with my girlfriend tonight and we were both in hysterics. Bo is such a clever and smart comedian and really knows how to put a show together. I really love the way he tackles the relationship between audience and performer, and the whole bit about living life without an audience was quite impactful and something I've kind of been thinking about lately.

The line in the last song about panicking every time you're unhappy really hit home. The emotional reaction I got from this is typically not something I expect from comedy.

therookielot likes this.
  16. Shrek

I am with @I Am Mick on this one, I didn't feel anything close to tears in regards to the audience speech and last song, which is odd as I am someone that battles depression and anxiety myself. Maybe I need to watch it again. Part of me thinks it may have been because I was waiting for those moments to explode into elaborate bits at any moment, and they didn't. I also watched it with three people who displayed varying degrees of interest. Don't get me wrong, it was poignant and well spoken, but it didn't connect with me on that level.

Also, the PB&J and farting into the microphone were big misses, and a homophobic slur being the basis of a bit made me shake my head.

therookielot likes this.
  17. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

The PB&J bit was my least favorite part. Felt like some random kids Vine that ran too long

18. thesinkingship

D.Va 1 Bad Guys 0

When I was watching this all I could think about was how much I enjoyed it more than what.

19. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

The PB&J bit was probably the weakest thing in this, but it's not terrible. I can see how the homophobic slur bit could be off putting, but I think you might be missing his point. If you've followed his career for very long, you know this isn't the first time he's used that word.

20. thesinkingship

D.Va 1 Bad Guys 0

The country song was really the only bit that I didn't care for because it has been done over and over.

21. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

22. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

There are absolutely some parts of both this and what. that are questionable and borderline but for the most part I'm able to look at them in context and with the understanding that he's attempting to be ironic and facetious and look past them

23. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

"Hey ma, I made it"

:,(

24. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

Is this on netflix?

25. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

yes