Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Bo Burnham - Inside (2021, Netflix)

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by therookielot, Jun 2, 2021.

1. therookielot

Punk, Absolute Prestigious

Can we discuss how beautifully arranged and immersive this special is?

Its his best stuff yet.

2. uuu

dumb idiot ignore me

It's great, super well done. Just knowing the emotional stuff being scripted, etc. took that value out of it for me, but it's a SUPER funny special. A+.

3. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

it was great

Indigo likes this.
  4. SmashRipsaw

Outcast Tape Infirmary

Loved it. But it also probably wasn't the best thing for my mental health.

5. Driving2theBusStation Jun 6, 2021
    (Last edited: Sep 27, 2021)
    Driving2theBusStation

Regular

Rarely online anymore, but watched this last night and it made me want to pop in and see Chorus's reactions. It wasn't spontaneous like his stand-up but that's ok imo (after reading about the degree of panic attacks and heckling he got while on stage, who can blame him). Still not sure how to describe Inside other than it made me feel a range of emotions beyond what a lot of comedy specials and online content I've consumed over the past several years have.

6. ReginaPhilange Jun 7, 2021
    (Last edited: Jun 7, 2021)
    ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

I loved it, I started watching some interviews and this one was super interesting because of how much of it was put in his special.

(I know some don't like H3 but it's worth watching imo)

7. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

I thought this was pretty brilliant. Incisive about our moment in society. The fact that it's also really fucking funny was almost incidental.

SpyKi, chewbacca110 and oncenowagain like this.
  8. jorbjorb

7 rings

Ya I really enjoyed this.

9. J12

Trusted Supporter

I thought it was the least funny of his specials, but also the most purposeful, poignant, and brilliant. He's just so incredibly talented.

phaynes12 likes this.
  10. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

This was a great experiment revisiting his style when he first started, but I feel like I need to watch it again because the format was a bit jarring by design.

still think Bo has so much left in the chamber creatively that he’s going to create some unequivocal “masterpiece” (film or musical) in the next decade or two

11. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

once again breaking my posting sabbatical to say that I have watched this 3 times in a week (might make it a 4th tonight) and haven’t been able to stop thinking about it, or get the like 8 songs from it that are constantly stuck in my head out, since my first watch.

been a fan of him since high school when he put out Words, Words, Words and I truly believe this to be a masterpiece and so far above all his other specials, especially upon revisiting the older ones and feeling like none of them have particularly aged very well. I believe this is his funniest, most thought-provoking, and thankfully least edgy/offensive work to date as well. also think he stepped up his game as a songwriter on nearly every level, pretty much none of the songs from his old specials stand on their own outside of the context of the special (a lot of them I just cringed through when rewatching tbh) and many of these songs I absolutely believe do that. I also think this special is a culmination and crystallization of many of the themes he has been discussing in his work since WWW.

anyway, my feelings on this are still evolving and I am sure they’ll continue to do so for some time, but I think this is the most a piece of art in general has struck a chord and stuck with me in I can’t even tell you how long. ironically, despite me breaking my silence here to post it, it’s actually had me considering removing myself from social media completely lol. don’t know that I will end up getting to that point but I think it’s certainly got me owning up to how unhealthy and toxic and downright obsessive my relationship with the online world has been for a long time now, I think changing that dynamic could be a very transformative thing.

anyway, just felt like chiming in on this one here since this has been where I have preferred to come to discuss various media over the years.

12. uuu

dumb idiot ignore me

I've been saying his masterpiece is going to be a silent film comedy.

13. oncenowagain

“the whole world’s ending” “honey it already did” Prestigious

This is honestly one of the the most resonant pieces of art, for me, that I’ve experienced in years.

14. Grapevine_Twine

It's a Chunky! Supporter

This was even better on the 2nd watch.

surgerone and nohandstoholdonto like this.
  15. oncenowagain

Hands Up is a Post Malone lost treasure

JRGComedy, jkauf and chewbacca110 like this.
  16. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

the abrupt cuts to silence hit way harder each watch for me

17. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

The "There it is" song holds up so well without any context. He really nailed it with this special. Hope you keep posting - I don't post here often either anymore but I recognize your username and appreciate your posts.

18. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

The "all eyes on me song" reminds me of this:

ugh so good.

19. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

He already has.

[​IMG]

aoftbsten and Zilla like this.
  20. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Eighth Grade is certainly a very very good movie, one of my favorites, but I wouldn’t say it’s a masterpiece

neo506, oncenowagain and phaynes12 like this.
  21. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

Songs on streaming services on Thursday

22. oncenowagain

Love it

23. soggytime

Trusted

I guess this is my best picture of 2021?

It might be the defining work of art to come out of the pandemic

oncenowagain likes this.
  24. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Oh shit didn't realize this had its own thread

I literally haven't been able to stop thinking about it since it came out. I've still only seen it once (watched it literally the minute it hit Netflix) because I don't want to oversaturate it for myself, even though I've listened to my ripped version of the songs constantly lol (super glad he's dropping an official version, hopefully fully mixed/mastered and not missing any of the short songs).

Favorite songs are Healing the World, How the World Works, Turning 30 (the "my stupid friends are having stupid children" part won't leave my head), Welcome to the Internet (one of his best songs ever, probably the one that would have worked the best in a live setting), That Funny Feeling (genuinely amazing folk song) and All Eyes On Me, which is also one of his best songs ever. Like an even more refined and devastating Can't Handle This

I also will probably never read Jeff Bezos' name in a headline and not get one of the two Jeffrey Bezos songs instantly in my head from now on

25. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

I did a drinking game with my friend the night this came out cause I was sort of expecting it to follow Make Happy's "generally pretty funny but with a very hard-hitting ending" pattern and let me tell ya... that was a bad fucking idea lol