Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Bluetooth Headphone Revenue Surpasses Non-Bluetooth

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The NPD is reporting that bluetooth headphone revenue has overtaken non-bluetooth headphone revenue for the first time:

According to The NPD Group’s Retail Tracking Service, Bluetooth headphone revenue overtook non-Bluetooth for the first time in June accounting for 54 percent of headphone dollar sales and 17 percent of unit sales in the U.S.

The joy of not having a cord attached to my pocket is amazing. But Bluetooth still sucks, a lot. Trying to use multiple devices, not looking ridiculous with that behind-the-head cord, and the sound quality is still not there. Oh, and every time my phone doesn’t want to connect to the headphones I’m sure it’s punishing me for all the times I set it next to the charger instead of actually plugging it in because, what?, it’s not the boss of me.

Essie and KennyBloggins like this.
  2. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

The idea of bluetooth is great but it needs to be more user friendly. It's very hit or miss when it comes to connecting. Some of my devices its great and others its practically useless.

3. Mr_Hox

I just bought my first pair of Bluetooth headphones today. Just wanted something to pop into my ears at work in between calls.

Jason Tate likes this.
  4. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Hoping against hope they don't remove the headphone jack on the next iPhone but it seems like it's basically confirmed by now

5. Agreed! I tried to cut the cord about 5 years ago but find myself feeling more inconvenienced, mostly due to the charging issue (it's never ready to go when I am). Plus, like you said, sound quality issues make it hard to not swap out the BT set with my trusty wired phones mid-album. BT is just not there.

I'm waiting for some proprietary technology to come out strictly for music.

6. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Love my Bose Bluetooth headphones and think they sound great

7. alexjlow

Regular

Following on from the comment above I wouldnt swap my Bose Bluetooth over ear headphones for anything. Yes, they're slightly pricey but in my opinion they sound actually better on the Bluetooth than with the cable, connect instantly and battery lasts for an extremely long time.

teebs41 likes this.
  8. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Yes!

I've listened with both and honestly couldn't really tell a difference, I'm a pretty crazy person when it comes to sound quality as well. I bought them with the intention I would exchange them back for auxiliary headphones if I thought the sound wasn't good enough. Needless to say I never returned them. It's great having a pair of headphones that I can wear and do house work with and not worry about a cable getting in my way. I wear them mowing the lawn too

alexjlow likes this.
  9. Thursdaysox

We know it from the silence

I have a no-name bluetooth over the ear headset that I wear literally hours a day. At the gym, to and from work on the bus, hanging out at home; the sound quality is awesome and the battery life lasts way longer than I figured it would. No way I go back to cords.

10. Anyone have any suggestions for bluetooth headphones for running? The ones I bought cut in and out when I run. It seems weird that it would be a product of all the movement I'm doing but I have used them stationary and they work fine.

11. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

I'm with everyone here. I love the idea of bluetooth headphones, but until they make a few improvements I'm sticking with my wired Bose on-the-ear headphones.

slickdtc likes this.
  12. sammyboy516 Jul 29, 2016
    (Last edited: Jul 29, 2016)
    sammyboy516

Trusted Prestigious

Interesting. I just bought my first (relatively cheap) pair the other day and pre-ordered these, which I'm super excited abut.

alexjlow likes this.
  13. Zip It Chris

Be kind; everyone is on their own journey.

Never owned a pair of Bluetooth headphones, I like the 'in-ear' and don't want that goofy cord around my neck...same reason I refuse to protect my expensive shades with croakies...but now that my headphone jack is stuffed with lint to the point where plugging my headphones in has become a chore, I think It might be time to give in. Still refusing croakies though.

14. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

I like Bluetooth headphones just fine but, to be fair, the average pair of Bluetooth headphones costs considerably more than a pair of wired buds, so revenue isn't a fair assessment of market share.

slickdtc likes this.
  15. Dan O'Neill

Regular

Try cleaning the lint out with a paper clip. I do that every few months, and I'm always surprised by how much shit gets in there.

16. Zip It Chris

Afraid of messing something up, but i'll give it a shot...

Update from 30 sec. later: AAAAnnnnd it's a miracle...thanks! :)

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  17. Zip It Chris

THOSE look awesome...exactly what I've been looking for.

18. sammyboy516

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah, really positive review from CNET too, they said it's the best sound quality they've ever heard from Bluetooth.

19. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

I have a low-priced pair of bluetooth headphones (Soundpeats QY7) that I wear to listen to podcasts (and protect my ears from dust and debris and road noise) while I bike too and from work. They sound okay, and let me keep my phone in my pannier where it's more protected.

20. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

You would think with how long Bluetooth, and Bluetooth headphones have been around that the tech would work much better than it does. I'm not excited

21. theredline

Trusted Supporter

Man...those seem amazing for the price and no cords at all!

22. Schooner

Trusted

My plantronic something something fit BT ones are fantastic

23. Schooner

Trusted

Theses stats are probably a little redundant considering how many people get the wired white apple headphones included with their phone and don't need to buy wired headphones. But then the others like myself that bought some BT ones for sport and gym.
    I love both. BT is better but love having the wired ones for quick use and when I have battery death on the BTs

24. CheapPop

Regular

I have a pair of Bluetooth headphones I use for the gym, and they are fine, but the sound quality is nothing like I get from my wired headphones that I use at home for music and listening to podcasts. Really not liking that Motorola and Apple are getting rid of the headphone jack. I think it's always better to have Options.

Schooner likes this.
  25. oneeightytwo

Regular

Looking at buying some BT headphones, for the gym (and daily use potentially...). What would you guys recommend?