Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Blue Apron Files for IPO

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Matthew Lynley, writing for TechCrunch, details Blue Apron’s plan to go public:

The company is showing a rather incredible amount of growth. Blue Apron said it generated nearly $800 million in revenue in 2016, up from $341 million in 2015. For the first quarter this year, Blue Apron said it generated $245 million in revenue, up from $172 million in the first quarter last year. Despite all this, Blue Apron said it lost $55 million in 2016, though it said it lost $52 million in the first quarter this year.

A better way to IPO.

2. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

Wait 2 weeks for it to drop, buy in big, sit there for years and PROOFFFIITTT (maybe)

3. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

Never liked these meal services when you could just purchase a CSA and support your local farms.

4. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

They don't make money yet? Seems premature to me.

5. a nice person

Trusted Prestigious

For those of you who don't know what Blue Apron is, I'm sure you also have never listened to a podcast.

6. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

I've always wanted to try this.. anyone have any comments on it that have!?

7. heymattrick

Sending my love

Several friends on Facebook have started using it. I think it's good to promote cooking your own meals, but as a "home chef", it's just so easy to go to the grocery store and buy whatever you need. I'm not gonna lie and act like I know too much about any of these services, but it absolutely has to be more expensive and I don't feel you would LEARN cooking techniques for the long-term.

8. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

I do BA or one of the competitors once a month or so, it's fun to mix it up. Some meals feel worth the money; some don't. I'd say it's good 80% of the time.

9. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

I think their goal is to get people cooking at home vs eating out, not get a box delivered vs going shopping. restaurant quality at home is how they market it. plus, if you're just getting into cooking fancier foods, finding all of the specialty ingredients at the store can be a hassle. without having tried it, it's hard to say what techniques you actually learn, I guess that depends on how prepared the food is when it comes.
    I've wanted to try Blue Apron, but they didn't serve my area when I first wanted to, and haven't checked back to see if they do now.

heymattrick likes this.
  10. heymattrick

Sending my love

True, it can be a great introductory thing. I was always raised to learn to cook and recently it has become a huge passion of mine. I do realize that a lot of people don't really know how to cook at all and if this is a good solution, that's great!

11. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

I've been using it for about 6 months.
    Overall I've enjoyed it, especially when cooking dishes I wouldn't think to make or was too intimidated to try without a guide.

Most of the my favorite have been the vegetarian options which is something I would have never cooked myself.

Cost seems to be pretty great in relation to
    Shopping in the Bay Area.

Biggest minor gripe is I wish you could scale down or scale up the amount of meals you want by week. Sometimes I just don't have the time to cook 3 1.5 hr meals and I don't want to skip the week entirely.

For anyone looking to become a better cook and try new things, I'd call it a win.

12. DandonTRJ

~~~ヾ(^∇^ Supporter

Someone listens to Crooked Media.