Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Bloody Nose, Empty Pockets (The Ross Brothers; January 24, 2020) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by OhTheWater, Jul 14, 2020.

1. OhTheWater Jul 14, 2020
    (Last edited: Jul 15, 2020)
    OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Rent Now for $10
    Slant Review (Kinda gives away some of the behind the scenes stuff)
    Quasi-documentary getting pretty great reviews. Their other films, 45365 (Free on Vimeo) and Tchoupitoulas (available on Criterion) also got some good writeups. I'm excited to watch this one!

2. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Nathan and EASheartsVinyl like this.
  3. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Watching Tchoupitoulas now

4. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

This is news to me! I’ll have to check out some of the reviews soon.

OhTheWater likes this.
  5. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

I've been looking forward to this. Probably going to rent it on Thursday or Friday.

OhTheWater likes this.
  6. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

appreciate the tag, haven't heard of this prior but gonna watch it shortly!

7. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I watched Tchoupitoulas last night. It was pretty good. They're doing some interesting stuff in terms of narrative vs. straight documentary.

8. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Looks interesting. Gonna check this out soon.

9. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Talked to a friend today, he says this is his favorite of the year. I'll probably check it out tomorrow.

10. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

riotspray likes this.
  11. Nathan

One of the most resonant movie experiences I've had this year. Poetic, melancholy cinema. Loved the colors and the intimacy of the cinematography.

riotspray likes this.
  12. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Still on my watchlist!

riotspray likes this.
  13. Nathan

Surprised at how cool critics are on it. From reading it seems most have a feeling of "Yeah the movie is good and the process is unique but it's not good enough fiction to be good fiction or real enough to be good documentary" but I disagree, I think it found a very special, authentic mood. It's a truthful, humanistic portrait. Sparse, but full.

coleslawed likes this.
  14. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

I mean, it was Slant’s #1 film of 2020.

15. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Why have I not watched this yet but I spent 2 nights watching Bachelor Party?

riotspray likes this.
  16. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

watch it, it's good

OhTheWater and TJ Wells like this.
  17. Nathan

I didn’t look hard, just saw a couple critics I like with average scores. That’s cool, it’s really good.

18. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

This was truly an incredibly experience. I don't think I've seen a movie quite like this, probably my second favorite of the year .

19. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

riotspray likes this.
  20. Morrissey

Trusted

I'll get to it before 2021.

21. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

The fact that this was made exactly when it was is nothing short of Kismet. From the Roaring 20s name to the conversations and hints at impending doom throughout the film, the overarching sense of finality and uncertainty that bogs down most of the characters in this is so prescient of what was to come in 2020. Bars like this are shut down, some forever. Where do these people go? What homes do they have? Who are they with right now? At 4am tonight? Speakeasies are making a comeback, at least in the areas of the city that welcome motley crews like this. Do the old regulars get the message passed on to them? Did someone make them aware of the back entrance?

22. Morrissey

Trusted

This was good. Bars are increasingly replacing the church as the American place of community. Restaurants don't want you to linger and the workplace is full of forced relationships; the bar is the new place of worship.

riotspray and CarpetElf like this.
  23. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

seeing this on a bunch of lists recently and its added to my queue of things to see before years end. excited to dive in

24. Morrissey

Trusted

The pandemic has made it much more enjoyable to watch movies of people just talking and sharing experiences. It is the side effect of isolation.

25. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

This movie is like a Black Lodge version of Lovers Rock

aoftbsten likes this.