Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Blink-182 [ARCHIVED] Band • Page 1327

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. Preserved Moose

Amateur Hour

What?! Yeah it's a sappy and corny song or whatever but the chorus is the best part. I love the "don't wait for me" part.

2. Kuri44

It's weird, after making my top 10 cali list, it appears that I like more of DLX than OG,but I definitely spent more time listening to OG when it came out. I think the DLX has stronger songs and also benefits from being 5 songs shorter, but OG had more upbeat, summer vibes (it was also our first taste of the new blink, and just new music from Mark in 4 years).

Anyways, I wonder how mine and everyone else's opinions would have differed if DLX had been released first and the OG were the bonus tracks

pbueddi and BTDandFeelingThis like this.
  3. Eva89

Trusted Prestigious

I really like DLX, but i've spent almost a year making memories with the original release, so i prefer Cali OG at the moment. I think Cali is more suited for summer, and the deluxe is the darker twin better suited for fall/winter. That analogy made more sense in my head, lol.

Kuri44 and BTDandFeelingThis like this.
  4. BTDandFeelingThis

Now I Know This World Isn’t Spinning Just For Me Prestigious

I look at it more like OG Cali is great for sunny warm days, and the DX is better suited towards night time/ stormy days or nights.

Erwin89 likes this.
  5. ChampsMusic

Instagram.com/ChampsMusic

Yeah I love when a blink release comes out and it latches onto a specific memory/time.

2003 I was 13 when Untitled came out. Listened to it on my Walkman every night. Literally every night. Got me through the tough times of entering high school.

2011 senior year when Neighborhoods was released. The summer before was hyped with Up All Night. Stayed up all night when that son was released and went surfing the next morning. That school year filled with memories and a blink Soundtrack. Having a house with 6 other guys living like kings.

2012 DED reminds me of Christmas time. I actually really liked this release and I remember hearing When I Was Young and being blown away by it.

2016 California became the summer anthem. My girlfriend surprised me with pit tickets to see blink. Saw Bored To Death live and just was blown away by the whole experience.

I'm sure many band's albums do that for some people, but it's always special with blink.

6. BTDandFeelingThis May 28, 2017
    (Last edited: May 28, 2017)
    BTDandFeelingThis

Great list of memories, I love hearing this kind of stuff. Let's share memories!

2003- I was in high school, and just finding my bearings as a person, discovering music that wasn't radio popular and what not. Friend of mine was a Blink fan, so when I did a rock presentation in power point I threw them on. STFTK sold me so I went and got all their old stuff, and Untitled when it dropped. Untitled got me through so much emotional shit (breakups, arguments with friends etc) in those years. Also contains my favorite song not just by blink but overall.

2011- I had moved to a different state with literally no friends or family around. While working in 2010 at a gas station a woman came in with the OG Blink bunny on her ankle. After a bit of talking I asked her out, and she is now my fiancé. Neighborhoods came out and it was the first album we experienced together, went to see them in Atlanta where they filmed the video for Hearts All Gone. She got 'Even if she falls' tattooed on her wrist. My uncle passed a couple days after the album dropped, and I listened to it the whole 8 hour drive back home, Ghost and a couple other songs were huge helps. DED reminds me of Christmas too, and my holiday bunny shirt and Boxing Day are traditions on Christmas Eve/Day now.

2016 California became my summer anthem as well. I wasn't sure of a blink without Tom, but BTD won me over and I loved it. Her and I listened to every new song as it came out leading up to release, and on release day I threw the CD in my car and just drove listening to it on a clear blue 90 degree day. It was a mainstay through a very eventful summer, and also helped me turn a lot of friends and coworkers into Blink fans. Same with the deluxe. Oh not to mention the whole getting to meet them, get the album signed, get up on the stage for their show...i am sure that helped

7. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

Yeah, I mean I condensed it to 15 and have 7/16 from original Cali and 8/11 (not counting BTD again) from the deluxe. Don't see my list changing either.

Kuri44 and BTDandFeelingThis like this.
  8. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Saw someones do this a couple pages back, so I wanted to share too.

Chesire Cat - Didn't get into this album until high school, mainly because I never really knew about it aside from a few tracks I had found and songs my friends had on mix tapes/mix CDs. Fun stuff on here.

1997 Dude Ranch - I was in 5th grade when my mom bought this album for me because she loved 'Dammit'. Album changed my taste in music and made me want to play guitar. Also, I remember going to see "Can't Hardly Wait" in theatre on the last day of 5th grade with my friends and 'Dammit' was played in the movie, so I was pumped haha.

1999 Enema - Summer going into 7th grade when this came out. What a fun album this was for me during such an awkward time haha. Blink was all over TV/MTV and I remember getting dressed up for school dances while listening to 'Mutt' and imagining what girl I would slow dance with. I also loved "American Pie" solely because Blink had a cameo, ha.

2001 TOYPAJ - This album and BCR is what got me through high school. I took a summer gym class before freshman year started. It was a HUGE class because my hometown's two middle school's merge when going into 9th grade. Every Thursday we would go blacklight bowling for class. The bowling alley always played TOYPAJ when our class was there. Man, that was awesome. 'Rock Show' was pretty big on the radio/tv, but the first song I heard other than 'Rock Show' was 'Please Take Me Home' because the bowling alley played it. I knew it was game time when 'Anthem Part 2' started playing. This album was my soundtrack for a lot of my 'firsts' in high school too. It also played on the beach when we would go hang out. Love it.

2003 Untitled - Sophomore year of HS this came out for me. I wasn't that into it at first because it didn't have the same Blink-vibes the other albums had and I was really into Rise Against, AFI, NOFX, Bad Religion, and Taking Back Sunday at the time. This album meant a lot more to me towards graduation and the first couple years of college. Now, I absolutely love this album. Masterpiece.

2011 Neighborhoods - I was out of college for a little more than a year. Got me through some dark times as I hated my first job out of college, but that Blink buzz was not there for me and I felt a little let down again. Loved going to the shows though.

2016 California - The buzz and feeling that the Dude Ranch, Enema, and TOYPAJ-era gave off came back to me at age 29 (now 30). I've been transitioning to finally settling down. I'm with the girl I am going to be with forever. I live in the place I've always wanted to live. I went back to school to further my education and have one more year left. This album showed me I still know how to let loose and have a good time. New memories have been formed around this album too. I love it for what it is. TBH, I almost don't notice that Tom isn't on this album because they successfully pulled off a fun, summer-time, album that did very well.

That was fun to write up. I love Blink-182.

9. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I don't have a ton of new blink release cycle memories. I got into them in like 3rd grade, they released untitled and then broke up when I was in middle school, so in high school they were putting out AVA and +44 and I strayed away from pop punk because blink and Green Day are really the only pop punk bands I care all that much about and neither was releasing urgent or interesting stuff when I was in high school. So I got into Death Cab and Kanye and a lot of really great other stuff that honestly blows blink out of the water in terms of creativity. I did enjoy +44 and the first two AVA records when I was 15 though.

Neighborhoods came out when I was living in LA working an internship. I got a pre-order with a hoodie and hat or something, and the album was fine. Not really impressive, not really great, but I re-listened to it recently and honestly don't dislike any Neighborhoods cuts except Love is Dangerous. I was pretty high on the album when it came out because I was really happy to hear Mark and Tom singing and playing together again but obviously it's not really something I revisit. I saw blink twice post-reunion and both shows were fun.

Dogs Eating Dogs came out when I was in school in Chicago and I probably felt similarly to how I felt about Neighborhoods, though I remain a little higher on the EP as a whole than Neighborhoods and would have welcomed more Mark/Tom/Travis output with open arms even if I wasn't super into it.

California came out when I returned home to the Detroit area and was working my first real 9-5 job but I honestly don't feel all that differently about it than Neighborhoods, it's fine and I like some cuts a lot. They seem happier and more energized and they're doing very well commercially and critically so I'm happy for the band on that level. Their live show has improved tremendously because of Skiba. I'll always check out new blink but I haven't really been all that energized by new blink releases since 2003. But they were my first favorite band and I still regularly listen to their pre-breakup material fairly consistently so they remain a big part of my life. I'll see them live and check out whatever they do.

10. MegaButterfree

Regular

California came out when my relationship with my ex was at its highest point & everything just seemed amazing, while the DLX came out just a few days after we broke up. Interesting how some of the DLX songs line up with that, especially Good Old Days & Long Lost Feeling. Kind of sucks how DLX will always remind me of that but listening to these new songs a lot have also been helping me to feel better about everything.

11. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Had this guitar laying around for awhile so I decided to turn it into the first guitar I ever wanted (Tom's orange strat). Just waiting on new hardware to be delivered. Can't wait for the white pearloid pickguard.

IMG_8048.JPG.jpeg

12. nchlsnwtn

Regular Prestigious

wish i had multiple memories for each respective cycle. I'm happy with my main blink memory though which was discovering them in fall 2009 while trying to impress a girl i liked who claimed that blink was her fav band (i was a freshman in hs). I binged blink, ava, plus 44, and bcr for months.

been dating that "girl" ever since. we've seen blink twice together and i actually took her to see them for her first live music experience ever, not exclusive to blink. rad times.

13. Summer of '97 - I first heard Josie. Summer between 7th and 8th grade. Had no clue what record it was on or who the band was. I had grown up on rap and hip hop

Can't hardly wait came out and I heard dammit. Bought that soundtrack and rocked that song as well as Third Eye Blind and GnR

Met a girl in vegas that was wearing a blink shirt. I crushed on her a little and bought enema with some money my mom gave me. Listened to it all the way home to LA and that began the love affair. The mtats was icing on the fucking cake and perfection

TOYPAJ had leaked but I didn't know about leaks. They weren't as easy to get. I was in class and a buddy was listening to something that HAD to be blink. It was and I got it from him. Learned all the songs and that was the first album I was stoked to get on release day. Ran over to the wherehouse near my high school during nutrition and knew they'd released multiple versions of the album. Was stoked to see there were stickers with the colors so I bought all three. That is a very very special album for me. I remember my girlfriend at the time didn't like anthem PT 2 and I told her she was nuts. BCR was released but I missed the release day. It wasn't completely lost on me because I saw them play at the whiskey with Tim Armstrong and the movie life opened and then at the wiltern with h20, the used, and taking back Sunday

Untitled came out a year after high school. It leaked and again I wasn't sure how to eat leaks so a buddy I worked with burned me a copy, I went to pick it up with my girlfriend (now wife) and I put on headphones to listen to it in the car while she sat and watched in silence. It was our first fight. The record came out and I went to Tower Records right when they opened to get it. I had also gone to Amoeba records to get the Feeling This 7" the day it came out - which may have been the first vinyl I ever bought. I very specifically got it because Violence was the b-side and hasn't yet been released. I was snapping all day. It was the coolest blink song I had ever heard. Going back further, I had never played a madden game but my buddys did and I made sure they got the game so I could hear "Action" [feeling this] in full. It was a magical summer leading up to the album release.

Their breakup RUINED me. I was a mess to be around for a while. When I found out they were reuniting after travis' crash, I was giddy. Bummed I got engaged and married before their next record came out but it leaked while I was on my honeymoon so Neighborhoods reminds me of driving around Kauai at night. I love that record for those memories.

I was super busy when DED came out so it reminds me of being stressed over work unfortunately but it's still a great release. Not a huge fan of Boxing Day though.

Tom stalling the new record was getting under my skin and my "oh shit!" Reaction when I saw "blink-182 with Matt skiba" was completely positive. I was fucking proud of them for basically telling tom to go fuck himself. That's at least what I told myself had happened. It wasn't QUITE like that but knee-jerk I knew shit was gonna either start happening or stop completely after this show.

CA was an exciting release because forums and social media were so engrained into the fans at this point. More-so than when neighborhoods or DED were released. At least it felt that way to me. I remember when it finally leaked, I took a walk at work and listened to the record in full. That's my memory of that release.

When deluxe leaked, I had to drive somewhere for work and I was texting Arthur from the old b182.com site my reactions to every song. That'll be my fun memory for this one.

This band chronicles my adolescence to man/fatherhood. I couldn't ask for a better fucking soundtrack.

14. oneeightytwo

Regular

David Parke likes this.
  15. I've really come around to the deluxe songs besides Bottom Of The Ocean. My only issue is I tend to cringe to some of the lyrics. Other than that I'm having fun with it.

16. BTDandFeelingThis

[​IMG]

Fuck You Aurora and David Parke like this.
  17. if it's not against the rules, feel free to enjoy this remastered bootleg i did of an old pre-Enema show!

blink-182 - Live in Montreal (9-28-1998) REMASTERED.zip

Setlist:

Pathetic
    Peggy Sue
    Wendy Clear
    Voyeur
    Josie
    Untitled
    Family Reunion
    Mutt
    Apple Shampoo
    Dick Lips
    Dumpweed
    This One Song
    Dammit
    M&M's
    Carousel
    The Country Song
    People, People, People
    Enthused
    Does My Breath Smell?
    13 Miles

if it's against the rules, feel free to remove this.

18. mxn433

I've gone back to the Tom demo album recently and I have to say that 'An Endless Summer' and 'Suburban Kings' really would have been fantastic Blink songs.

19. MegaButterfree

Regular

I remember the first time I ever heard An Endless Summer I was thinking how awesome it would have sounded with Mark singing back-up on it.

Kuri44 and bradsonemanband like this.
  20. mxn433

It really has such a classic Blink feel to it, the riff is great.

MegaButterfree and Kuri44 like this.
    BTDandFeelingThis likes this.
  22. DannyZach

Trusted

23. DannyZach

Trusted

My very own performance of Not Now from last weekend.Dont remember why I have that toilet paper hanging around my neck though.Enjoy haha

24. BTDandFeelingThis

bradsonemanband likes this.
Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.