Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Blink-182 [ARCHIVED] Band • Page 857

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by popdisaster00, Jun 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. It's funny because the WORST blink has ever sounded to me was on that tour. I felt someone in the booth had it out for blink or something. Way too much low end which led to very little in the way of guitar which bummed me out. YES Green Day blew blink out of the water, but I almost feel like that show in particular (at least the LA stop) sounded so bad for them. And that was my thought BEFORE Green Day went on. That was also the best I ever saw Green Day sound although I only ever also saw them on the American Idiot tour where they sounded just as good but it was an outdoor venue.
    I BELIEVE the blink-155 guys had the director of this spot on the pod. I'll have to double check. It never aired (at least in constant rotation) because its premiere date was 9/11/01 or something close to that.

2. TheJMan

Trusted

I don't, it was on the MTV Diary show about the Pop Disaster Tour. It's on Youtube.

3. TheJMan

Trusted

Yeah, it was just Tre and Mike though right? I don't remember Billie saying anything negative.

4. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

I think so? I think mostly Tre but I'm not sure haha

5. TheJMan

Trusted

Yeah the one I'm talking about, which is probably the same one, it was most Tre and a little bit from Mike. They came off poor in the article, it just seemed like they were jealous that blink had surpassed them in popularity at that time.

6. And IIRC, when Macbeth released the Mike Dirnt shoe there's some video where Tom calls Tre "ret****d."

Edit:
    Mike Dirnt shoes, Tom Delonge talks about the riff with GD
    Toward the end of the video (8:00) he talks about the Green Day/Blink riff, asking if it's true Green Day talked crap about them when they toured together. Tom's reply was "It wasn't a Green Day thing, it was a Tre thing cause he's out of his mind and mildly retarded and says things he doesn't really think about". Yup, that's our Tre. He then went on to say that they were really friends, he'd talked to Billie Joe just a couple days ago and has been working with Mike on that design for Macbeth.

TheJMan likes this.
  7. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

I’ve seen Green Day countless times, and Pop Disaster remains one of my favorite shows. I agree that blink had poor sound mixing and couldn’t keep up w/ GD, but I’m still so happy I got to see both of them on the same night. That was the end of my senior year, and holy shit, that was my own personal utopia for one night only.

Best Green Day show I saw, fwiw, was Live Without Warning, which aired on MTV. Some friends and I won free tickets, and they played at a drive in theatre (which is no longer there, but oddly enough was right down the steer from a house I bought way later in my life). It was a huge concert with pyro, lights, etc.

BUT! Best blink show I ever saw was in a club that, naturally, no longer exists right before Enema came out. Small, sweaty, loud. They were right there in front of me, telling their tasteless jokes and playing most of Enema. It was one of those pinnacle moments of my youth. Fuck. Miss those days when Tom was cool. Travis was still just a baby boy.

David Parke likes this.
  8. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

I just remember some interview with Green Day talking about how awkward blink was and how they all had their own bus and did their own thing. I’m sure more was said, but I don’t remember.

9. TheJMan

Trusted

I always felt the blink/Green Day rivalry was mostly made up by fans of both bands.

bradsonemanband and David Parke like this.
  10. BTDandFeelingThis

Now I Know This World Isn’t Spinning Just For Me Prestigious

Is it just me or does Tom like doing the “no we’re fine we just talked a couple days ago!” line when asked in interviews about issues?

11. Thought that was the Riding in Vans with Boys thing.

12. TheJMan May 21, 2019
    (Last edited: May 21, 2019)
    TheJMan

Trusted

Yeah I remember an interview like that too. It was definitely around that time where things in the band weren't great because of Box Car Racer.

BTDandFeelingThis likes this.
  13. It does seem to be a trend in hindsight. Heh.

14. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

What I am remembering was def an interview I read scans of. Maybe Kerrang? It was so long ago. I have that DVD still somewhere I’m pretty sure, but I don’t remember there being much drama on it, if at all.

BTDandFeelingThis likes this.
  15. Kerrang 2002
    There is one red-hot question that surrounds the Pop Disaster tour, which is: why did Green Day take it? Rumours and whispers from those in the know say that is was to blow Blink 182 out of the water, which is something they're certainly doing. On a lazy Sunday afternoon, down by the riverside in Milwaukee, this question is put to Tré Cool.
    "We set out to reclaim our throne as the most incredible live punk band there is," he says.
    Who did you set out to reclaim that throne from?
    "You know who," he says smiling. "Not that they ever were the greatest live band, but with all of the young kids who were coming to see Blink it was nice to have a chance to wreck their whole perspective of how things are."
    Would it be fair to say that you're stealing the show every night?
    "Yeah, that would be fair."
    I thought I would have to work harder to get this stuff out of you, Tré.
    "Well it's the end of the tour," he says. "I don't give a fuck if they read it or not. They can't quit the tour now. That was one of the main concerns actually, that they were going to quit the tour because they were getting smoked so badly. That was something we heard. We were walking on pins and needles to make sure that their egos were stroked the right way."

TheJMan likes this.
  16. I'm pretty sure that's why Tre wasn't in that documentary, because he either refused to do it, or there was some bad blood right during it.

17. The interview.

David Parke likes this.
  18. TheJMan

Trusted

"At the end of 2001, it felt like Blink-182 had broken up. It wasn’t spoken about, but it felt over", said Hoppus later.

Man to be a fly on the wall for those BCR fights. Pretty remarkable that the band was able to put out their best album in the wake of all the tension within the band that had being going on for years.

19. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

I wonder how the band would be viewed today if they did end in 2001. I know my fandom for them would be a lot smaller if they didn’t have untitled

20. TheJMan

Trusted

I think their "legacy" would certainly take a hit if you take away that album. They would probably be looked at by the majority as a "that jokey band" that was super popular for a few years but just faded out of the scene.

I would still probably have been as big of a fan as I am now without that Untitled album because of how important they were to me for those 2 years I was a fan at the time.

21. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

Saying "2 years" sounds ridiculous to me, but that's totally accurate. Those 2-3 I was an obsessed fan before Untitled seemed so intense compared to the 6-ish years of their hiatus and then the 8 years its been since Neighborhoods. That sounds insane to think about.

TheJMan likes this.
  22. BTDandFeelingThis

Now I Know This World Isn’t Spinning Just For Me Prestigious

Maybe it’s like the +44 album where that turmoil pushed them to make that album

TheJMan and bradsonemanband like this.
  23. That's also my assumption.

24. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

I remember Mark’s guest spot on BCR was seen as a pretty big surprise in 2002. Always remember the rumors surrounding blink, how there was always turmoil and drama.

Dark days, and still wild to think about how much creativity came from all of it.

25. SanityIsAFullTimeJob

Regular

Coming from someone who was only 11 years old at the time, did the break up in 2005 come as a surprise, or did people kinda seeing it coming? Like was there a lot of rumours?

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.