Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Blink-182 [ARCHIVED] Band • Page 1585

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by popdisaster00, Jun 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I’m still not part of the group of people who think Untitled is a masterpiece.

Richter915 likes this.
  2. For this band, it's their masterpiece. But can it be compared to shit like Pet Sounds? Probably not.

3. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

It’s easily the best album of their catalog. Not the one I like the most though.

4. This. I like TOYPAJ the best. The packaging, branding, roll out, bonus tracks, tour, etc.

hongfong00 and bradsonemanband like this.
  5. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Untitled reminds me of this time of year. Specifically "Always" and it inspiring me to wear black/white checkered slip on vans to my school's xmas formal.

JamesMichael, Mcrx, Collins and 2 others like this.
  6. Totally agreed on the TOYPAJ era having the coolest everything. Lately, Dude Ranch has been my favorite. But if I had to pick one for a desert island, I'd probably go with Untitled since it's got a little bit of everything.

Mcrx likes this.
  7. Boy, didn’t we all??

JRGComedy and AlwaysEvolving21 like this.
  8. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

Doesn't really have anything that sounds like pre untitled blink though. Ofc pre untitled blink wouldn't fit anywhere on that album

9. I dunno. “Go” and maybe “Always” could have fit on TOYPAJ probably.

Richter915 and Mcrx like this.
  10. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Multiple riffs/songs off Untitled remind me of Box Car Racer.

-Obvious intro
    -The ending of Easy Target
    -All Of This main riff
    -Not Now
    -Asthenia chorus and bridge
    -Stockholm Syndrome (the entire instrumental part in the middle of the song)

I enjoy a lot more of the little things on the album more than some full songs haha.

Mcrx, .K. and bradsonemanband like this.
  11. Untitled has lots of BCR bits, for sure

Mcrx and .K. like this.
  12. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

As important as this record may be to some people, and how different it was from the rest of their discography, I can never consider this album a masterpiece, even for Blink.

Really, it’s like an extension of Boxcar Racer, which came out like a year before. Same producer, same vocalist/guitarist, same drummer. That’s not to say Untitled isn’t better, but they didn’t reinvent the wheel with Untitled. Heck, even Mark made an awesome cameo on BCR. Untitled can be lyrically repetitive for me at times too.

What they did do is make a cool “mature” sounding record in comparison and do it as Blink. They put their time and energy in.
    The record sounds good, and is really distinct in their discography.

I usually find that a masterpiece album is like the definition of a bands sound. Untitled producer some hits, but What’s My Age Again? and All The Small Things are still their biggest songs, and both are not from their album.

Lots of bands do the “different” or “mature” sounding record. Some hit amongst the fan base and some miss. Blink got a hit with their fans, hit with mainstream, and hit with themselves. That’s impressive.

I just wouldn’t call it, or any of their records a “masterpiece”, even if we are keeping it just to Blink. They don’t have a go to record for me. I’m surprised by how balanced I listen to their records, and with that said from, Dude Ranch to present I probably go specifically back to less Neighbourhoods tracks.

But self titled isn’t way out ahead at all. I’m still loving Nine, but their most popular albums are still EOTS, TOYPAJ, and Untitled. Depending on who you ask.

13. TheJMan

Trusted

I think it was a possible title for Untitled. Obviously a wise choice not to use it.

14. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Untitled is the culmination of everything blink loved and was. It’s their masterpiece.

15. Nathan

The label of an artist’s masterpiece shouldn’t be confined to something representative of the rest of their work. The Last Temptation of Christ may be Scorsese’s masterpiece, and what makes much of Kanye’s discography so compelling is that he pushed his sound so much and was able to make multiple albums that could legitimately be called his masterpiece and they all sound different. It’s a bad definition to use

16. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Masterpiece is I term I prefer to use less loosely than others maybe. I don’t think a masterpiece should be a debatable thing, I think what makes it a masterpiece is that it is the best work and standard to which all of their other work will be judged.

It may be for you, it isn’t for me, but it’s ok either way.

17. Nathan

But no piece of art will ever undebatable.

bradsonemanband and .K. like this.
  18. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

There are definitely some authors, musicians, photographers, filmmakers, sculpters, painters, playwrights who have stand out genre defining work or series of works deemed “masterpieces”.

sometimes the scale of work, success, longevity and imitation indicate that.

I just think Blink has more divers dive success, as do many bands, that keep any album from being definite as a masterpiece. I actually think it’s a good thing too, because I haven’t lost interest in their albums since 1996.

19. Nathan

Sure but generally in contemporary art, before works can stand a true test of time, nothing really gets to be deemed a masterpiece the way you’re describing. Plus I like a generous use of the phrase, whether it’s “their” masterpiece, or a masterpiece for a specific genre, it allows for a way to talk about powerful, impactful art in those terms. No, the untitled record is not a work of art on par with Moby Dick. But for that band? It’s their masterpiece. It’s the culmination of theirs and Jerry Finn’s talents and artistry. For pop punk/emo? I think it’s a masterpiece for the genre. It fits the dictionary definitions in a lot of ways. So does Enema, to be honest, for pop punk, even if I think it’s a lesser work in their discography.

20. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I’d say Nirvana’s Nevermind could be accepted as a Masterpiece. It made a cultural music shift, opened the door for thousands of other bands to follow, had indie and mainstream success, is still looked upon as a great piece of art. The album art, the first distinguishable notes of Smells Like Teen Spirit. The fact that the Foo Fighters are potentially the biggest rock band still stems back to Nevermind.

The band didn’t try even and replicate it. That actually almost went on to make an anti masterpiece record which makes In Utero so distinct and different.

21. ChampsMusic

Instagram.com/ChampsMusic

Untitled shaped who I am today. Not particularly in a literal sense, but I wonder what kid I would’ve been if I didn’t have that Untitled CD in my Walkman from 8th grade to high school.

bradsonemanband and .K. like this.
  22. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

It was definitely the record they were due to make at that point in their career. It turned out very well for them.

23. An album like Dookie might be universally considered a “classic album” because of it bringing punk rock into the mainstream and whatnot. But it’s not Green Day’s masterpiece, which would probably go to American Idiot. Is American Idiot my favorite Green Day album? No way. But is it their greatest achievement musically? Yeah, probably.

A masterpiece is the artist’s crowning achievement. A classic album is what K seems to be kind of describing, I think.

Enema is probably Blink’s most classic and universally loved album, but Untitled is definitely their masterpiece.

Richter915, yocoxy, Dog Fish and 4 others like this.
  24. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Untitled just doesn’t have the lyrical strength to me to hold that “masterpiece” crown.

I think the examples of being a classic album from a band and a masterpiece is great though. The masterpiece has to be the best of the best. Production, lyrics, unified, impactful, epic and long lasting.

Michelangelo’s David may be his classic known work, but the Sistine Chapel is his masterpiece.

Mcrx likes this.
  25. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

But again, this is just an opinion, and maybe when one starts listening to the band changes expectations or reverence for an album.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.