Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Blink-182 [ARCHIVED] Band • Page 1285

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by popdisaster00, Jun 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. manoverboard365

Trusted

I tried listening to California late last night after giving Nine a few spins. Makes you realize how much of a giant leap this album is from that.

333 GANG, teebs41 and bradsonemanband like this.
  2. I listened to Nine literally all day yesterday, but woke up with the chorus to "Teenage Satellites" stuck in my head. What the hell?!

3. The intro to First Time really reminds me of another song..can't put my finger on it but the riff reminds me of something

SlappinCups likes this.
  4. Heaven is too good.

333 GANG and SlappinCups like this.
  5. TheJMan

Trusted

Hey here's to you Californiaaaaaaaa.

(Maybe that will get stuck in your head instead)

bradsonemanband likes this.
  6. TheJMan

Trusted

Someone, sorry but I forget who, asked if that leaked clip from Feldy's IG story made the album it didn't but I wonder if it will be on the future EP and if it's the song with Diamonds in the title that Mark mentioned awhile back. The 15 second clip sounded really good and gave off an After Midnight vibe.

7. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

No Heart brings me back to 2003....except not the music blink was making back then. haha. I feel like I'm listening to Matchbook Romance or something.

8. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Yes!! I agree 100 percent

BTDandFeelingThis likes this.
  9. HOW'S ABOOT MY DIGITAL E-FIST GETS STUCK IN YER HEAD, PARTNER!?!

SlappinCups likes this.
  10. I only agree 98.6%

Kross and teebs41 like this.
  11. VectorHypeDesign

I no longer have a need for any Blink release between Untitled & Nine - this should have been the true follow up to Untitled. All I needed to hear was in The First Time. The way Mark & Skiba start in separate places in the chorus, only to meet back up and harmonize on "...there ain't nothing like the first time" is some 2003 era/Feeling This type creativity and songwriting that has been lacking on everything since.

Also, credit to Feldmann or whoever was able to recapture Skiba's gritty vocals. Him & Mark finally contrast each other the way Mark & Tom did. On some California songs, I couldn't even tell who was singing what.

12. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I'm usually a pretty good judge of new user names. Totally assumed this would be a spam account.

Carry on.

13. Blink182Bouncer

Trusted

Thriller by Fall Out Boy was what first came to mind for me.

14. Agreed. That was so well done

15. TheJMan

Trusted

Hey it could have been worse, I could have quoted Bottom Of The Ocean instead.

16. I was thinking Foo Fighters’ “In Your Honor” which is one of my fav Foo songs (not a huge fan but understand their influence and appeal)

Jackbo487 and popdisaster00 like this.
  17. TheJMan

Trusted

So are we done ripping Feldy now?

Dumblecore, BG9352, Kross and 2 others like this.
  18. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

I actually do think Blame it on My Youth is the worst song on the album. No Heart to Speak Of, Pin the Grenade, and Heaven are my favorites.

Blink182Bouncer likes this.
  19. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

Agree with all of that. Obviously I've only sat on this for one day, but nothing about NINE jumps out at me as being an obvious flaw from the start which wasn't the case with the last two records.

From the first listen, it was easy to tell that Neighborhoods was "AvA meets +44" to a certain degree (aka, lack of collaboration, communication and direction). California remedied a lot of that and brought back the energy/enthusiasm, but it brought new problems to the table: conventional song structures, repetitive riffs, overuse of "whoa"s and "na na"s, etc. Almost blink-182 boiled down to a formula.

Regardless of how NINE stands the test of time, it at least fixed a lot of those problems from both records. It's cohesive, the collaboration is obviously there, there are plenty of twists and turns, but it's still super catchy and very obviously "blink". We'll have to see how it holds up, but at the very least, it feels like they worked out the kinks this time around.

20. [​IMG]

slimfenix182, TheJMan and David Parke like this.
  21. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

I wish they'd do more songs like On Some Emo Shit. I can't place what it reminds me of, but it' killing me trying to figure it out.

22. Ronald.

Trusted

I'm tempted to say Pin the Grenade is their strongest chorus since Untitled. It feels like Blink and eternal youth without bashing us over the head with lyrics about being young and restless. I went for a run last night to do a playthrough and I got caught on PTG 5-6 repeats. In the new Frightened Rabbit doc Ben Gibbard talks about how people say music isn't what it used to be, but really as you get older it is harder to find music that elicits the same emotional response as when you were young. He says it's out there but it is our job to find it and cherish it. I feel this song is the first Blink song that is as evocative of raw youthful emotions as I felt when I heard Untitled for the first time. That alone has me really happy for what this era is and what could be to come.

Hoping this one is a bridge between Blink finding themselves again in this current iteration on California, and even weirder, more experimental, fearless and unabandoned creativity together. I respect the radio-friendly songs, but I don't think they need them to stay relevant to their core fanbase or the mainstream casual listener. I Miss You is weird as hell and it still stands as one of their staples that literally everyone knows.

Going to jam this all day long and then go dark until the actual release.

Arthur Dantas, MRose24 and Shaun like this.
  23. I'm imaging if people didn't hear BIOMY until the leak. Hearing that for the first time in the context of the album would be a treat for me personally.

24. I still like blame it on my youth a lot. Happy days might be my least favorite.

Shaun and Mrk_Brdshw like this.
  25. Ronald.

Trusted

Yeah, it was a mistake to release it first IMO. It is perfect as a gem hidden in this album rather than the thesis for what to expect the body of work will be.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.