Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Blink-182 [ARCHIVED] Band • Page 1282

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by popdisaster00, Jun 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. manoverboard365

Trusted

I'm actually liking Happy Days a bit now in context.

2. The most impressive thing is that even the blink subreddit likes NINE

3. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Happy days is great

bluecharliedeltaecho likes this.
  4. Kross

Newbie Supporter

Anyone know when the VIP entry has been for this tour? I know it varies, but thinking about work and what not, seeing if it makes sense.

5. Kross likes this.
  6. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah, it's soooo good. Honestly, this whole thing is pretty solid all around. I'm happy with it.

bradsonemanband and Kross like this.
  7. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

Hard to explain, but I can’t find the start of the beat until the chorus starts. The count feels all off to start. This might be a personal problem, but it makes it sound like a jumbled mess when Mark sings lol I don’t have that problem with Matt’s verse because I already have a frame of reference where the count is.

David Parke likes this.
  8. 333 GANG

ACAB

Just finished my first listen of this. This is really fucking good. I don’t exactly know what I was expecting, but it wasn’t this.

I don’t know if it’s just recency bias or whatever, but I have no trouble saying this is a better record than California. There’s a little bit of everything here, and some of these choruses are fucking huge.

The First Time slaps and kicks the record off on a really strong note. Heaven hit me HARD. Skiba crushes the second verse, and that chorus is excellent. Black Rain is straight Crimson-era Trio, and holy shit does it ever have me feeling some kind of way. Pin the Grenade might be one of the catchiest songs this band has ever written, and that’s saying something considering their back catalogue. No Heart to Speak Of is a glowing example of why Skiba was the right choice for this band. Ransom caught me completely off guard in the back half, but boy am I here for it. On Some Emo Shit is catchy as hell, that hook is dynamite. Mark sounds great on most of these songs. Skiba is on a different level. Hungover You just works, in every single way. Another huge chorus. The outro rules.

This record is a fucking blast. I’m actually floored by how much I like this. Happy Days and Blame it on My Youth are fine songs, but they’re two of the weakest here. That being said, they do far more for me personally in

Feldy NAILED it. I won’t stand for any slander.

I can’t stop smiling.

Early favorites:

Darkside
    Black Rain
    The First Time
    Pin the Grenade
    Heaven
    No Heart to Speak Of

Fuck it, the entire record.

Well done, blink.

Kross, talltomaz, Rowan5215 and 4 others like this.
  9. 333 GANG

ACAB

I didn’t even mention Run Away or Remember to Forget Me, but fuck, those songs are strong too. This whole thing is so damn good.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  10. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Not into much of this. It’d make a good EP imo. I’m down with The First Time, BIOMY, Pin the Grenade, Ransom, and On Some Emo Shit (terrible song title though). Black Rain was at least intriguing so maybe that one too. Everything else is a skipper for me

11. Darth Amory

Sith Lord.

Aw dude, that's the beauty of Trio. I was a Tom guy on guitar forever but then I learned Trio stuff and LOVED when that shit happened.

12. jesseisabigdeal

Regular

i usually notice things like that but it actually sounds fine to me. difficult drum beat to sing over though

13. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

This is less safe than California for sure but I like most of the songs on that record more

14. 333 GANG

ACAB

I genuinely think this blows the bulk of California out of the water, and I really like that record.

thedrudo and bradsonemanband like this.
  15. HEY! WAIT! PIN THE GRENADE!

Kross, David Parke, thedrudo and 3 others like this.
  16. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

It’s like my brain just doesn’t understand or can’t reconcile it. Then the second time it makes perfect sense to me....like, I could probably even play it on drums.

David Parke likes this.
  17. Full on love the "It was just one time, one time, started turning into two times, a few times ..." melody.

The album's full of little moments, little gems, like that, that weren't in California. I think California felt like a band trying to figure out what they wanted to be and what they wanted to sound like. It ended up being an updated version of the band's safe spots, the things Mark and Travis have done for years and seem to be able to crank out whenever. Matt was more restrained, still obviously finding his place in the band. Nine feels like a more confident group that have clearly written a fuck-ton more songs together over the past few years and that time shows.

There's very little here I think I'll end up skipping. It feels cohesive, fully realized, and pretty sneakily well sequenced. The back half shines for me, right after "Generational Divide" I like or love virtually every song and love how they all work together. I didn't over play the first singles, and that first stretch is really solid, but I'm drawn to so many little things the band played with in the back half of the album. ("Ransom" being the one song that doesn't quite fit for me, even if I like the drum work.)

I like the diversity in sound, and that the album feels distinctly Blink-182 but with a new bag of tricks. Whereas with California it felt like there were times the band would resort to a writing style, technique, melody, or cliche they'd used before, this album shies away from that and it works.

The Matt/Mark combo works very well on this album. Distinct and good usage of both vocalists, complimenting, countering, and supporting the other. Feels more like a group, with intertwined parts, versus "you go, now I go."

I'll have more thoughts over the next few days/weeks I'm sure, but these are some things I've been writing down as notes over the past few days.

18. manoverboard365

Trusted

Damn that outro on No Heart To Speak Of.

MRose24 and bradsonemanband like this.
  19. jesseisabigdeal

Regular

i kept starting it over to hear what you mean but it sounds natural to me. he comes in right on time

333 GANG likes this.
  20. Yes to all of this!

David Parke likes this.
  21. Ronald.

Trusted

I just searched “Blink-182 Nine” and the first article has a picture of the album art on a site called rap hip hop.co

MRose24 and SFguitar like this.
  22. Ronald.

Trusted

All of the singles are better in context to the album for me.

Kross, bradsonemanband and 333 GANG like this.
  23. 333 GANG

ACAB

Yeah, I don’t hear it either. Sounds completely natural to my ears. There’s no way to write this without it sounding insulting (and I promise it isn’t supposed to be), but @Mrk_Brdshw I genuinely think your brain just isn’t processing it properly for whatever reason, haha. But I understand what you mean nonetheless, and have had issues like that with songs from other bands in the past, and it is super irritating.

jesseisabigdeal likes this.
  24. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

Yea, I can get the count super easily. I don’t get this.

Brains can be weird sometimes.

333 GANG likes this.
  25. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

Haha no offense taken, it’s one of those things where once I “find” it, I’ll hear it correctly from there on out.

I know what my issue is though after breaking it down technically; when Travis opens that beat with the triplet, my brain is wanting the THIRD hit to be the start of the measure, for whatever reason. This makes me only able to hear Mark starting on the “and” of the beat so he’s always a half-beat ahead.

As you said....SUPER FRUSTRATING. My musical brain is working against me.

David Parke and 333 GANG like this.
Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.