Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Blink-182 Writing Music Remotely

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Mark Hoppus of Blink-182 shared a new Instagram of a writing/recording session with John Feldmann during quarantine.

more

Not all embedded content is displayed here. You can view the original to see embedded videos, tweets, etc.

2. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

Come on guys. Try someone else.

mmhmm, Raku, Uknown76 and 2 others like this.
  3. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Now, under these circumstances is not the time to try working with someone new.

Also, I thought Nine and the team behind that did an amazing job. Also really enjoy most of California. Band has a history of sticking with producers they like, so since Feldmann helps write I don’t see that changing.

fredwordsmith and BornToRun like this.
  4. IAmMikeWhite

@IAmMikeWhite Supporter

I dunno, I disagree with this sentiment. Mark clearly enjoys the collaborative process with people he feels have similar instincts. And if Feldy is that guy after Jerry Finn, I’m happy if blink is happy. I just wish they’d get it over with and add him to the band. Call the four of them blinkfinger trio.

Bartek T., .K. and BornToRun like this.
  5. adamlikesdogs

@meaninglessritual

Weirdly enough blinkfinger trio was my nickname in prison.

AMC, Bartek T., Jonathan and 2 others like this.
  6. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

JRGComedy and Jonathan like this.
  7. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I’ve been digging Feldys recent production work with bands. I was indifferent about his production choices 4 -5 years ago. Mainly bc he clearly didn’t use his digital amps and plugins to their fullest capabilities and gave every pop punk/rock album the same exact guitar tones. I found that really annoying. I still do actually haha. But we can’t deny the guy knows how to write and deliver a catchy hook, which is one of my favorite things about blink-182 and them working together.

8. thisisasong

Neighborhoods was done remotely too wasn’t it.

9. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

I really hated Nine, so hopefully doing something different means we end up with an album I personally enjoy more.

Contender, Uknown76 and Brent like this.
  10. IAmMikeWhite

@IAmMikeWhite Supporter

Well, yeah. But the final cuts off of Neighborhoods were written and recorded in totally separate studios. This is almost certainly just the demo phase of whatever they're working on.

thisisasong likes this.
  11. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

If Feldman can produce it so it SOUNDS live, like the recent Goldfinger quarantine song drops, I actually have ridiculously high hopes. He and Mark know hooks like the back of their hand. The back half of NINE is as good as anything since untitled.

.K. likes this.
  12. Uknown76

Pff Feldman again. Pop sound againnn, very bad news !! >:-(

Raku likes this.
  13. Blink having pop undertones isn't new lmao

.K. likes this.
  14. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

I just hate Feldmann's production style. Everything always sounds lifeless and I can't think of a band he has improved.

15. Mort Michaels

Father, Son, and House of Gucci

I think it is the new way Mark songs and writes that feels lifeless.

16. thisisasong

I always said that if you take half of California and half of Nine, you have a pretty solid album.

17. huntercrunch

Regular

I love California and NINE, so I don't mind them sticking with John. They need a producer, to be honest. Neighborhoods and Dogs Eating Dogs sounded like shit.... which is weird, because Mark's production work on New Found Glory and Motion City Soundtrack was pretty good.

So are Matt and Travis not involved in this? I figured Mark and John did the majority of the writing on the last two albums, but it just seems a bit odd to me.

fredwordsmith likes this.
  18. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

I'm sure they are, but everyone is remote right now.

19. AMC

Regular

311's album from a couple years ago was great. One of their best IMO