Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Blink-182 Talk Deluxe ‘California’ and More

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Blink-182 sat down with Billboard to talk about their Grammy nomination and the upcoming deluxe edition of California:

It’s almost, it’s more than a whole other record, it’s a double album at this point and it’s more of an extension of what we did in the studio earlier. Some of the songs were songs that we did not put on the first album, but are great songs. And some are brand new that we just wrote last week, a lot of high-energy songs, punk rock, some more ballad-y songs, a little more electronic experimentation, it’s a good mix. It’s not a collection of throwaway songs, it’s like a whole other album.

And:

Yeah, there are like four songs that didn’t make the album that we’re putting on there. But then there are brand-new songs like “Wildfire” and “Parking Lot” and “Misery” that are all so f—ing strong, man. It’s amazing. We started writing maybe a week and a half ago and I think we have 14 songs. It’s a good problem to have. I’m really excited about this deluxe edition. It’s gonna be incredible.

Ok, I’m sold.

2. Ska Senanake

Trusted

California just wasm't very good... Doubt this will be either. 14 songs in 2 weeks? Doubt the quality is there. Hope I'm proven wrong.

3. delvec19

Trusted

Loved California, stoked for this!!

4. dubey

Regular

5. California was such a moment for me this summer. Not sure these songs will have the same impact, but damn if I didn't absolutely adore that record for a month or 2.

FTank likes this.
  6. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

Blah, one of my least favorite releases of the year. I'm happy for them still having success but the whole thing seems like 100% pandering to people who miss "OMG the funny and craaaazzzy Bink 182". There's something superbly awkward about a record full of co-writes trying to re-capture the magic of 15 years ago. It's catchy and enjoyable for sure but doesn't seem the least bit sincere. 100% product.

Not trying to discourage anyone from enjoying it. If that's your thing, cool, I just don't buy it anymore. Say what you will about Tom Delonge's misguided ambitions but I still think he was pushing the band forward.

7. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Why not just change the name and make it a new album at this point?

8. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Gearing up for that summer festival circuit. Makes sense to keep promoting the same album that people are familiar with rather than trying to introduce a whole new album right now. Very excited for this, interested to hear the new songs especially.

9. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

A whole record basically? Count me in. California was such a summer jam for me, listened to it the other day and it still rules

atticusfinch likes this.
  10. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

I liked this album a good amount when it came out but I don't find myself going back to it too much. I am looking forward to hearing the bonus stuff however.

11. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

California was so boring for me. I dug a couple songs but most of them were not good in my opinion.

HueyLewis and zachzacchero like this.
  12. Anticitizen7

Please be kind. Like actually kind though.

Probably just business reasons, there's still money left in California.

This read has me considerably more excited for the deluxe edition.

13. aniafc

Trusted

Yep. Overall very forgettable for me.

"San Diego" is the one I return to most.

14. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

"San Diego" is honestly great. I dig "Cynical" and "Left Alone" as well.

There's a handful of songs that I liked upon first listen when I ignored the juvenile lyrics such as "Kings of the Weekend" and "Rabbit Hole" also. Like you said, pretty forgettable. I'd rather have another Neighborhoods than this. That record, while a little scatter brained due to Tom recording separately, was far more interesting to me than California.

carlosonthedrums likes this.
  15. California was hit or miss to me, it didn't feel like Matt's potential was fully used.

Turkeylegz and bradsonemanband like this.
  16. Sybil

Regular

That would be the ballsier, correct, move imo.

17. goation

Regular

They don't want to bury the money still left in California.

Ditto. Although I can't blame them for being smart on the business side, it's just frustrating to hear as a fan.

18. Jay Evan

I've Made A Huge Mistake

I am curious as to why this is so "frustrating" for fans. We get 14 new tracks on an album titled California Deluxe, where is the frustrating part?

Schooner likes this.
  19. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Some days I'll love this album, some days I forget it exists, but new music is always good. They've had such a huge year, glad they're going to give it one last push.

20. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I had pretty low expectations for California and must say I was very pleasantly surprised with the album, and I'm one who prefers more darker, serious (self-titled) Blink to their more teeny pop kind of music. I listened to this album a lot over the summer. Don't go back to it as much, but the times it does come on, it still holds up pretty well.

Steve_JustAGuy likes this.
  21. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

I mean, no matter what, people are going to check the new material either way.

Hopefully its great

22. honkytonk

Narcissism on narcotics

I'm happy to see Blink continue their success, and they were great when I saw them in August. California was fun and catchy, but it just didn't feel like a sincerely crafted album in my opinion. I didn't find myself coming back to it once summer ended. Matt was pretty much the best possible replacement but I miss Tom's presence ahaha. I'll check these songs out for sure, but if it sounds like an extension of California then I don't know how much I'll listen to them in the winter. Totally summertime music.

Nick Martin likes this.
  23. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

When though? When?

24. Nick Martin

There are no answers. Only choices.

I come back to California from time to time. There were some solid tracks on the album ("Cynical," "Home is Such a Lonely Place," "The Only Thing That Matters"). Overall, the album was a good summer album - not perfect by any means, but still something that managed to capture that nostalgic and fun blink feeling while helping to usher in a new direction for the band ("Los Angeles"). For me, there were several tracks that threw off the flow of the album or just didn't fit. "Sober" and "San Diego" didn't cut it, and "Brohemian Rhapsody," while fun, should have been a hidden track ("California," as cheesy as it is, felt like a good album closer).

All that being said, I'm excited to hear more from blink and will be picking up the deluxe edition. As others have said, I hope that Matt will have a greater presence on these new tracks and help push the boundaries of their music, which it sounds like may be the case from this article.

25. Nick Martin

There are no answers. Only choices.

Thanks for catching this. This is something I've struggled to articulate, and this captures it perfectly. It's a good, fun album, but it just doesn't feel like the other albums - everything seems geared to be a pop radio hit (the "whoas" - thanks, Feldmann). It lacks sincerity at times.

I haven't had a chance to see them live with Matt, and from what I've watched on Youtube, their shows look fun, but it seems more like a business arrangement on stage - keeping the songs going. The intimacy seems to be lacking. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't know.