Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Blink-182 Score First #1 UK Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 8, 2016.

1. btr

Trusted Supporter

Yes. And i'm guessing some from any touring they do as well

2. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

Congrats to them, album is cool as hell.

3. theredline

Trusted Supporter

That's such garbage. You quit the band. You did none of the work on the album. And you still get money? If I quit my job they stop paying me. Ridiculous.

4. btr

Trusted Supporter

He started the band and there's a bunch of legal things tied into the name and music. And according to him, he's legally still in the band. Who knows all of the details but it's not like he was employeed by blink, he created it

5. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

Mark has also confirmed that Tom is still "legally" a member of the blink-182 enterprise but that he is not a currently active member of the band.

6. joey-wan kenobi

Happiness is a warm gun mama

It's always crazy to me to think of bands as business ventures, rather than solely artistic outlets. I'm not even sure what made me think of that, but it's funny to see that blinks success post-tom will still create financial gains for tom.

7. Tom Lee

Regular

Music sales from California will not make any income for Tom, as he has no writing credit on it whatsoever. He probably still earns from some things like merch and stuff however, and old music sales.

8. btr

Trusted Supporter

He has ties with the name though

9. Tom Lee

Regular

He'll still get royalties (radio play, etc.) from older Blink material that he co-wrote; but none from California. He is owed nothing from music that he did not have a hand in writing.

10. btr

Trusted Supporter

I understand that he didn't write it but they're using a name in which he helped found and is still legally involved in. He has ties to the name which is why you'd think he'd recieve royalties. It's no different than him making money off of merch or anything else that uses the brand name blink-182, whether new or old. I would really love for someone to explain the actual legalities behind their contract. Stop asking the same interview questions over and over and find out how much of a cut Tom gets

11. theredline

Trusted Supporter

Exactly. You don't give a guy royalties from something he had no hand in creating.

12. jeff.dart

Regular

There are a lot of potential singles on this record. I could also hear sober and left alone as singles too. Los angeles would make sense for a second single for the reasons you mentioned though. Love that song.

13. Tom Lee

Regular

Legally, Tom should have no rights to anything from California (or anything related), regardless of his ties to the company/business of Blink-182. But as he is the primary/co-songwriter for much of Blink's discography; he will still receive songwriting royalties from his songs that are played on TV, radio, etc. He will also earn performance royalties from whenever his songs are performed in a live setting - i.e. on Blink's upcoming tour: when Matt sings his songs, Tom will earn royalties from these songs (which is usually collected from the venue by a performing rights company (such as PRS in the UK), which is then paid forward to the songwriters). BUT, Tom will not earn any income directly from the tour, or the new album. Things like merch can vary, and will depend on the deal Mark and Travis made with Tom (or his manager) to continue under the name. That, none of us will really know aside from them.

14. joey-wan kenobi

Happiness is a warm gun mama

Turns out the question wasn't that dumb, as it most likely will take a music lawyer to know for sure. haha