Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

blink-182 - NINE (September 20, 2019) Album • Page 10

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by SmithBerryCrunch, Jul 19, 2019.

1. JeanRalphio

Regular Supporter

This is solid.

The opening to Black Rain feels like a Connor 4 Real track tho

2. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

I love Black Rain but lmao

DefeatTheLow and jorbjorb like this.
  3. tomtom94

Trusted

Listened twice through. Pin the Grenade is very good. The album ends really strongly actually. I think there are a few too many mid-tempo choruses but the really good stuff is really good.

4. TheJMan

Trusted

Agree 100%. I don’t think blink could or will ever make an album better than those 4.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  5. drummerAVA

Trusted

No Heart to Speak Of... that chorus is a ripper!

6. Kuri44

The First Time and On Some Emo Shit would be fantastic singles

7. Mort Michaels

Father, Son, and House of Gucci

Album is outstanding, but I still think Untitled still beats it in the variety category. Someone else mentioned how many mid-tempo choruses there are and I can see that. Mark’s vocal melodies have also felt really....safe? Not sure the word for it. It’s been happening since the reunion and on Simple Creatures. I think it really shows on songs like Runaway when Matt’s verse is so much stronger and more interesting.

Fantastic output, still. Far above California. BIOMY is a top song on here. If it wasn’t a single, it would be getting more love. Breaks up the sound on the album a lot.

8. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

still can't stand "i really wish i hated you," that written-to-a-grid shit is kryptonite to me when applied to this band. i'm not as down with "hungover you" as most of y'all, the lyric kinda ruins it for me. continually pleasantly surprised by "black rain" and "no heart to speak of," generally skiba really brings it. but i can't see liking this more than untitled no way

9. sawhney[rusted]2

Considering that untitled came on album 6(?) of the last lineup, glad we have something as strong as NINE on round 2

this doesn't touch the levity and lightning in a bottle that was captured on that album, but they're well on their way to capture something special in the future

MRose24 likes this.
  10. 333 GANG

ACAB

There are some mighty bad takes on some songs in here that I will refrain from highlighting and just say that this album is great.

pbueddi, falafelmywaffle and koryoreo like this.
  11. NJPunkMusic

Die rad.

Still havent heard the album yet, just the singles and "I really wish I hated you" twice and only half paying attention cause I was in the office. Are people speculating its about Tom?

12. Ronald.

Trusted

I see this as a bridge between the training wheels on California and the potential for this iteration to give their best shot at an untitled level departure. I hope this album gives them permission to get really weird. All of the very poppy radio songs have grown on me in context to the album. (minus Happy Days) I don't prefer them, but it is cool to see Blink capable of doing it without sounding unusual.

13. 333 GANG

ACAB

They shouldn’t be. The lyrics make it very clear its not.

14. koryoreo

Trusted Supporter

This is great. I loved California, but this album absolutely slays and is a vast improvement.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  15. tomtom94

Trusted

Say that again after you've read my fanfiction

16. Mort Michaels

Father, Son, and House of Gucci

What do you mean by written-to-a-grid?

17. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

"Blame It On My Youth", and "Pin The Grenade" are tops for me

18. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

anyone else feel like happy days and heaven sound like the same song tho

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  19. sawhney[rusted]2

One of them should’ve been cut but I can’t decide which

20. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

or at least,
    not next to each other,
    at the beginning of the friggin record

21. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

I think the second half of this is stronger but on the whole it’s a lot more consistent than California, no bad songs here. Only gripe is the verses outshine the chorus on most songs. No Heart is the clear favorite for me after a couple listens.

22. sawhney[rusted]2

I might try to do a reworked tracklisting/ordering for this

23. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

for me, california had both higher highs (cynical, Rabbit hole, BUILT THIS POOL cmon) but also lower lows, songs that I absolutely skip (los angeles woof)

Allhailburnzy likes this.
  24. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Few albums in recent memory have as large a range between best and worst as California does for me. I adore half and abhor half of it. Sober, Left Alone, and Los Angeles were my top 3 from California.
    it’ll take some time to see how they compare to the best from Nine but yea no skips at all on Nine and the top tier is really crowded.

25. DesolateEarth

Birb

Los Angeles is one of the best songs on that album though.