Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Blink-182 Debut at Number One on Charts • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 10, 2016.

1. noKings

Regular

Was going to say, I bet the physical sales would be high due to all the old school fans wanting to have every Blink album in discography.

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  2. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I must say I was so wrong about this album. After hearing some of the first 3 or 4 songs released, and listening to a lot of fan feedback, I was starting to think that a) the album wouldn't be any good and b) the album would flop in the mainstream and I'm so glad that I was wrong about both.

The album is very, very solid. I've probably listened straight through 20 times by now and haven't gotten sick of it at all. One of those albums for me where every day you have a new favorite song. Really pleasantly surprised to see how high the sales were for them as well. Really happy for them.

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  3. gabe

gabebravo.com

Because California is GREAT. When was their last number one album?

4. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Yeah I think Views is hot garbage but If You're Reading.. is straight fire IMO.

Anthony_D'Elia likes this.
  5. kidinthebushes

Trusted

They said in an interview that they would hopefully be in Europe next summer.

6. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

It has some great tracks ("9," "Hype," "Weston Road Flows," "Still Here," "Grammys," and "Views") but other than that it's way too long and has too many tracks that are either boring or just cringeworthy (those dance songs are trash). Nowhere near as great as his last album/mixtape/whatever he wants to call it.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  7. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

TOYPAJ

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  8. sweitz03

Really dig the album, though i find it insane that they have only been playing 3 songs off of it. Its an album tour!

9. This is their best album since TOYPAJ too

FTank and Dan O'Neill like this.
  10. Kizwiz

Regular

Is the higher sales than Neighborhoods really a testament to its quality?

This album has been marketed so much better. I've seen campaigns everywhere. Nonetheless, a very well deserved spot. Album is great and grew on me more over time.

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  11. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

In this case yes. Neighborhoods was pushed in my market (Chicago/Midwest) quite a bit, including radio push with Up All Night and Wishing Well, California's just a better record with better songs

12. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I like California but I think I enjoy S/T and Neighborhoods more as a whole if only cause they are far more interesting. I'm sure I'll be in the minority on this one but after spending time with the new record- it's shortcomings become more apparent with every listen.

13. honkytonk

Narcissism on narcotics

Really stoked for these guys. Overall, California falls a bit flat for me but I've enjoyed it this past week nonetheless. Fun harmless summertime album. After all the drama this past year, it's great to see these guys triumphantly return to the top of the charts. Well deserved and I'm really happy for them. See you in August!

14. withchappedlips

#nothingiseasy

Glad I'm not the only one with the Drake opinion. If You're Reading This pulled me in so hard, just about every track was killer. I went to my first hip hop show as a result of how much I loved that album. Views is really long and it feels as long as it is. There's some memorable moments, but it is just so not what I expected or wanted from him.

I think Bored To Death is one of the best songs to describe the blink-182 sound in general. It does not surprise me that it has helped propel this album higher than Neighborhoods was. I loved Neighborhoods and I miss a lot of things about it - as I've stated prior. I think California appeals to a wider range of blink fans than Neighborhoods would have, and I think the fact that it has a phenomenal first single... it's a great release.

15. carouac

Newbie Supporter

Agreed. I never totally understood why Neighborhoods failed to click with so many Blink fans. I think it's a pretty solid album. I'm trying like hell to like California and the track ratio is better than when I started with it(I initially liked the first two tracks and that's it). It's a fun enough summer album but the production is just too sterile and the lyrics seem to have too many tepid/placeholder lines for me to really cozy up to it.

Still glad it knocked VIEWS off. I like Drake but Views is his worst solo project to date.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  16. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

100% agree with you (especially about Views). I really dig most of Neighborhoods. Some songs haven't aged well with me but certain tracks like "This is Home", "Mh 4.18.2011", and "Up All Night"- I still love.

I just wish California wasn't so.. safe and boring at times. I dig it for a fun Summer record but I don't see myself coming back to it years down the road.

17. elphshelf

100% made of farts Supporter

Cue Sad Drake.

18. RoKKeR

The Fly

Wow, this is awesome. Well deserved and congratulations.

19. Zip It Chris

Be kind; everyone is on their own journey.

Agreed, for the most part the lyrics don't bug me, but I put myself in Marks sons shoes...'Dad, why are you singing about kids my age?" Still love the record though and have played parts of it every day since it came out.

20. parkerxcore

Somebody's gonna miss us Supporter

I keep re-listening to Views thinking it'll catch on, but it just doesn't

Anthony_D'Elia likes this.
  21. goation

Regular

I love that album. I still listen to it pretty regularly. I can see why more old school fans who didn't really care for S/T don't like Neighboorhoods, but for fans who really enjoyed S/T, I don't see how you couldn't like Neighboorhoods.

This new record isn't sitting well at all with me. I doubt most people will really like it in a few years. I think most people just like Blink and are happy to have a new record that they think "sounds like Blink again".

Essie and mattylikesfilms like this.
  22. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

So awesome for them. Great album!

23. TFT87

Regular

I agree with others that are doubting the longevity of this record. It's nice that it sounds like classic Blink, but it's missing the great lead riffs (Rock Show, Dammit, Man Overboard) that this band's known for (at least prior to the S/T).

24. Amber

ambsgotback

MATT SKIBA HAS A #1 ALBUM

Glad I got to be a part of this. Well Blink, see you in 19 days

gabe, Dirty Sanchez and marceting like this.
  25. fran.182

Regular Prestigious

#1 in Canada as well. Lots of top 5s and top 10s all around the world. Happy! :)