Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Blink-182 Confirmed on XXXTentacion Track Listing • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Dec 3, 2019.

1. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

I feel like in order to make a strong statement, it will need to be more than just "not listening" to the song, because that does not solve the issue. The issue is that Blink finds this completely okay and someone needs to enlighten them that this is NOT okay. Plus, this isn't a Blink album, people not streaming the album won't do shit because this song doing well or not won't affect Blink's status/profits/legacy one bit.

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  2. DandonTRJ

~~~ヾ(^∇^ Supporter

Boyd Rice and/or Death in June, probably.

serotonin likes this.
  3. somethingwitty

Trusted

Is anyone really surprised? We live in a country where Chris Brown is still openly accepted and plays to sold out arenas across the US.

Brent, AllenRicketts and palebluedot like this.
  4. prattsy

Regular

For a band (or brand) that has unbelievable familiarity and cash flow that will never ever be a problem, this is as massive as a fuck-up I've seen in music this year. There is literally ZERO reason to align with trash. Not that there ever is, but blink has had their career - they don't need to be reaching for increasing awareness or getting some extra cred. It just looks fuckin stupid. I'm now fired up too

5. soundclash

Regular

Doug Pearce from Death in June that was on “I Found Away”

6. daldalian

hopelessly yours, Alabama

Wasn't there a time before where Travis worked with a problematic piece of shit?

Or was it this same piece of shit?

Either way, absolutely disgusted at a band that influenced my life in countless ways and that I would expect better from.

7. ZeoVGM

Regular

Incredibly disappointed in the band for this, assuming they know about his past.

8. Zip It Chris

Be kind; everyone is on their own journey.

This is "Brand New" level disappointment for me...the day the Jesse Lacey stuff broke, i got rid of everything related to the band in my music library, went through playlists, deleted saved records, even snuck one of their cd's out of my kids room and tossed it. With Blink...i just don't know. XXX was a horrific individual that harmed people in criminal ways. Horrible ways. Gotta let this sink in.

Brent likes this.
  9. somethingwitty

Trusted

I think I’m more concerned that a large amount of people in this country are still fans of this guy.

How was this guy not cancelled when Weinstein, Aziz, Cosby and others were being held under the microscope for their gross transgressions. Is there a different standard to be cancelled in hip hop? I mean, how the fuck is Chris Brown still having Top 10 hits?

Is there just no shame in the hip hop community?

Brent and AllenRicketts like this.
  10. soundclash

Regular

It’s not a hip-hop issue. People still listen to all sorts of artists who have done horrible things. If Brand New announced a tour today I’d bet money it would sell out.

11. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Aziz is touring the county. Weinstein has a private booth at restaurants across NYC. These people are not being held accountable across the board. Josh Brolin, an abuser, is Thanos.

tyramail likes this.
  12. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

Well then...did not know that. No excuses whatsoever then.
    This isn't Brand New level for me because they aren't the ones doing the acts. That to me is a big difference. I think this is super shitty, don't get me wrong. I can't imagine why they think supporting an artist like this is ok. But Jesse Lacey violated underage women. The songs we sang along to and loved could have been about those very women he was abusing. That just gives me chills. Doing a collaboration with a piece of shit human being and somehow being a fan of his, I strongly dislike it, but it's not "dead to me" territory yet. It is a big red flag though.

Zilla, Brent, IAmMikeWhite and 2 others like this.
  13. CyberInferno

Agreed on this not being specific to hip-hop. This is a fame + money + power + entitlement thing. We've seen tons of examples of this in the #metoo movement across Hollywood and all types of music.

14. Zip It Chris

Be kind; everyone is on their own journey.

Very true, good point.

15. DerekIsAGooner

So assuming that this weekend...

I'm a middle school teacher, and I can say that from what I've seen from my students a lot of young people simply don't care who a person is. If they like the music, they'll listen. I imagine Blink would have hopped on this collaboration in a heartbeat because it exposes them to a whole new market/fan base.

However, I'm not saying this to blame them. I'm saying this to shine a light on why. They haven't been taught that these things are not okay. They need us - adults - to show them that when someone they admire does something horrifically wrong that harms another person that said person is no longer worthy of our trust or support. And furthermore, continuing to associate yourself (or work with, in Blink's case) sends a message of complicit acceptance and approval for that person's actions.

Those of you who choose not to support Blink over who they associate themselves with and/or promote, thank you. Thank you for sending a message to the younger generations that this isn't okay.

Audrey Horne likes this.
  16. Joseph Pepe

I wish Blink were aging more like their heroes The Cure and just do whatever makes them happy instead of trying to play the pop/co-write game. And that's coming from a professional pop/urban producer that does that 60 hours a week,

AllenRicketts and Serenity Now like this.
  17. soundclash

Regular

Entitlement is really the crux of it. Blink (and other artists who choose to work with horrible people and speak up in support of them) might face some backlash from doing this, but it’s not going to end their careers. Most people simply just don’t care and play the “separate art from the artist” card.

18. CyberInferno

Right...I can do this to an extent, but it has its limits. Especially with music which I consider to be far more personal than movies or TV. That being said, Mel Gibson, Kevin Spacey, and numerous others can go fuck themselves.

19. torres

Regular

The Get Up Kids could use more fans, so just switch over and support them going forward!

Four Minute Mile = Dude Ranch

Something To Write Home About >= Enema Of The State

Kicker EP & Problems > All Blink-182 releases with Matt Skiba

I won't argue that the band's releases in between Something To Write Home About and Kicker are stronger than Blink 182's releases in the same time frame, but if you are into obscure stuff, than you'll dig the Get Up Kids!

20. The Get Up Kids are fantastic and all, but I wouldn't say they're comparable to Blink in terms of their general sound. Still though, great band that could use some new fans, haha.

torres likes this.
  21. weird post

also on a wire is the best tguk album probably

torres and chilllll like this.
  22. elphshelf

100% made of farts Supporter

Some people also don’t follow the personal/public lives of people they like closely, so they miss when things like this come up.

23. torres

Regular

I make weird posts, I'm kind of awkward

24. soundclash

Regular

Also a factor. I wouldn’t know about a lot of things if it weren’t for the forums here. Really just boils down to people simply not caring when it’s in regards to someone as big as XXX, Chris Brown, etc.

25. Ska Senanake

Trusted

There is. A lot of people in the hip hop community hate him. Fuck the record labels for continuing to promote this criminal's music.