Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Blink-182 Apparently to Feature on Posthumous XXXTentacion Album

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

According to Sounds Music Group CEO, Solomon Sobande, Blink-182, Lil Wayne, Lil Nas X, and many more will be featured on the posthumous release from XXXTentacion:

There’s a healthy amount. Tory Lanez and Mavado; there’s a country song featuring Lil Nas X. One of the most surprising is Blink-182 — one of Jah’s favorite bands.

I’m not sure if this is a Travis Barker feature, or if the entire band is on a track, but to say this is disappointing to see would be an understatement.

2. elwayinthe4th

pop-drunk.com

3. TheJMan

Trusted

Not that it makes it any better but hoping it's just Travis and not the band as a whole. Travis unfortunately doesn't seem to care about working with artists like this while it would be very disappointing to see Mark agreeing to do this and having his band name associated with a known abuser.

4. Is it really not obvious how I feel about these things at this point? I feel like I've been pretty clear for years now how I think bands and artists that lend their voice and platform to abusers is wrong for a large number of reasons.

Brent, Mary V, currytheword and 4 others like this.
  5. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

I mean, even if it’s just Travis, Mark is still complicit for being in a band with an abuser apologist and that’s not a good look.

6. DandonTRJ

~~~ヾ(^∇^ Supporter

Not that I disagree with you, but does that opinion change or soften at all when the abuser is dead and therefore no longer able to (1) profit off the association or (2) parlay it into a position of further power over fans?

7. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

An abuser is an abuser. They shouldn’t continue to get praised and contributions from other artists just because they’re dead. That doesn’t absolve them from being shitty and that’s not a legacy people should want to continue.

Mary V and sawhney[rusted]2 like this.
  8. TheJMan

Trusted

I don't disagree with you. Unfortunate that some people don't have any morals or choose cash over them.

tyramail likes this.
  9. Not when all of their fans, specifically women and gay fans, have to see how little that abusive behavior apparently meant. Think of all the abuse survivors that have to see this from their favorite band and what that might mean to them.

10. Zach

Trusted Supporter

Odd thought process there to say the least. Is a murderer still thought of as a murderer after they die? Lol

If your answer is yes, then this isn’t any different

Dirty Sanchez and tyramail like this.
  11. DandonTRJ

~~~ヾ(^∇^ Supporter

We usually talk about deplatforming abusers under two justifications -- the moral component (not endorsing abusers) and the practical component (not placing abusers in a better position to abuse). Obviously the moral justification never goes away, but I hadn't fully considered that a practical component remains after the abuser's death as well (vis-à-vis the impact seeing an abuser's legacy validated has on the abused). That's why I asked Jason, and I'm glad to have seen his answer.

latortuga likes this.
  12. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

Why wouldn't they be?

13. Zach

Trusted Supporter

We are in agreement, sorry if that wasn’t clear haha.

I was just saying a murderer is a murderer even when dead, an abuser is still an abuser even when dead

Daniel182 likes this.
  14. Zach

Trusted Supporter

Wasn’t trying to be a dick or anything, just throwing my simplistic view on things in there for those like me!

15. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

Got it! Yes we agree. Sorry, I thought you were using that argument on the other side, haha.

16. razorburn

Trusted

I’m pretty sure it’s just Travis, which still doesn’t make it okay.

17. Audrey Horne

Regular Prestigious

Travis already collaborated with him while he was alive so that wouldn't make it "surprising." That would also make it pretty odd for the person to go out of their way or have a mix up to say it was the band specifically.

18. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Gross. Very gross

Raku likes this.
  19. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Booooooooo

Raku likes this.
  20. Tata Toothy

Regular

Travis loves that money. He’s worked with shitty people in the past and will continue. As long as it makes his wallet bigger he doesn’t care what these guys do.

Brent and Raku like this.
  21. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I glanced over his bio on Wikipedia for what it’s worth, because I know very little about him. I found this line interesting “When Onfroy was six years old, he tried to stab a man attempting to attack his mother”. It sounds like violence, rightfully used (as in self defence) or absolutely wrong (to hurt harm or intimidate and so on) was a regular part of his short life.

22. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Just as long as they don't talk to his kid, then they deserve hell.

23. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

What does this add to the conversation, K.

Watch him ignore this but engage with every man in the thread instead ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

24. bdoyle0182

Even if it was just Travis, mark would have had to have approved that they use the blink-182 name. Just saying.

Raku likes this.
  25. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Benefit of a doubt: Xxx’s manager conflated Travis with Blink. But either way, it sucks. As others have said, they don’t mind working touring with a problematic band or a XXX apologist/collaborator. They only care if someone’s done something to them personally.

Raku likes this.