Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Blink-182 – California • Page 5

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Will Montei

California has about 3 tracks I'll listen to again. Neighborhoods wasn't a great album, but at least they were trying to do new things. California is like comfort food that doesn't sit well. It's never going to last past 2016 because it's a return to form a decade too late.

morte likes this.
  2. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

After some reconsideration, I ended up trying it out as follows:

1. Cynical
    2. Bored to Death
    3. She's out of Her Mind
    4. Sober
    5. No Future
    6. Home Is Such a Lonely Place
    7. Kings of the Weekend
    8. Teenage Satellites
    9. Left Alone
    10. San Diego
    11. California

It's fucking amazing. I haven't tweaked a tracklist in awhile, but I might have to do it for this one, because it's just a much better listening experience.

3. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Not since Golden Record? haha

4. Craig Manning

Yeah, I did it like three times in 2013. In retrospect, 2013 was just a shitty year for music* and I was trying to compensate.

*I realize no one else thinks this.

5. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Haha that's what this year is for me. I liked 2013. I like 2015 the most in recent memory though.

6. Craig Manning

This year was kind of that for me until I got the new Butch Walker album. Now it's awesome. 2015 was definitely the best year in awhile. I don't like years like this/2013 as much because they're so stacked with huge "consensus" releases and not enough other stuff gets its due. In retrospect, I fucking hate my 2013 EOTY list.

7. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah, I agree. 2013 had a lot of good releases that I didn't find until later, but I still think it was a pretty stacked year. It didn't necessarily have a ton of albums I love, but it had quite a few that I like and still listen to.

8. Craig Manning

The "albums I still listen to" list is pretty short from 2013. There are definitely a handful I still love, but I'd struggle to come up with 5-10 that could have made even my top 30 last year. For example, I think I ranked the first CHVRCHES album in my top 15 that year. I thought their second record was just as good and I didn't even consider it for my top 30 last year.

9. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

That might be true of me too since last year was so unbelievable. This year, though, something near the back end of my 2015 top 30 would probably have a legit shot at top 10.

10. Craig Manning

My number one at mid-year wouldn't have been in my top five last year. My number one now, however, is probably my favorite album of the decade so far, so things are looking up on my end. There are a lot of albums I really like this year, just not that many that I love. I'll probably end up with a list where I like my last 10 more than my last 10 from 2015, but where the top 10 pales in comparison.

11. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah, that's the kind of list I have from 2013. If you're talking about The 1975, would that really not have made your top five last year?

12. Craig Manning

The 1975 was only my number three or four at mid-year, depending on which list you look at, haha. And no, it wouldn't have made my top five last year. I'm not sure where it would have ended up, honestly. Last year's top five was my favorite top five I've had since 2004, and 2004 had probably five albums I'd have in my all-time top 50. Three of them are top 10. I really liked last year.

FTank likes this.
  13. Will Montei

I'm surprised you took out "Rabbit Hole." That song not do it for you?

14. Craig Manning

I kind of hate that song. Easily my least favorite on the album.

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  15. Will Montei

What about it do you hate? Lyrics? Melody?

16. Craig Manning

Really both. I think it has the worst chorus on the record, and the "fall down the fucking rabbit hole" line just sounds to me like a kid who just learned how to swear for the first time.

FTank likes this.
  17. morte

Regular

I agree. California is definitely a step backwards creatively, however it looks like that's what most people wanted from Blink.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  18. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Sad but true.

19. morte

Regular

I knew I would not agree with this review when I read this line:
    "While 2003’s Blink-182 was esteemed as the trio’s Mature Record, it turned Blink into a band they weren’t."

It seems Tom was the one who pushed the band forward.

20. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I think the band had to evolve since (IMO) Take off Your Pants was one safe ass/just ok record for them to release as a follow up to Enema. Untitled really was the band meeting their potential.

What perhaps got lost along the way was Hoppus and Barker thinking the fans wanted the revival of joke songs and straight punk songs with little experimentation. Maybe they're right since the record is shaping up to be a hit for them but either way I definitely disagree with that line in the interview 100%. I think the band regressed with California.

morte likes this.
  21. jols

Trusted Prestigious

they wanted to make a mature record even with TOYPAJ. the label had different plans though. they consciously decided to limit outside influence on the next record

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  22. hongfong00

The sky had blackened with carrion birds. Supporter

I don't think they regressed with California, I think they needed to make an album like this. Their last two albums are a little dark (which isn't a bad thing).....California is refreshing. I don't care to analyze whether a band has progressed or regressed, as long as they're making music they want to make.

FTank likes this.
  23. rst

Regular

lol, this is so incredibly stupid. Just because people are ignorant of something doesn't mean that it makes something true that is not. There are TONS of fans who know who Scott Raynor is. He was still the drummer when the band broke through the mainstream with Dammit. He played on two full lengths with Cheshire Cat and Dude Ranch, it's not like he just played on some random ep.

24. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

There's no need to be this obtuse and antagonistic.

heymynameisjoe likes this.
  25. heymynameisjoe

when the days have no numbers Prestigious

[​IMG]