Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Blink-182 – California • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Eml182

Regular

I used to have this problem, but the truth is that producers help write a lot of songs and we never hear about it and don't care. Placebo effect in full force.

If you haven't already, check out John then Mark/Matt's track by track breakdown - helps with the context and may make you feel better.

slimfenix182 likes this.
  2. CMilliken

Trusted

Yeah I've watched that. It was interesting. I'm cool with producers helping. I know that goes on a lot and there are reasons some bands work with the same producers. It's more brining in other artist that can really change the sound or lyrical content of a band that bugs me.

3. rst

Regular

What do you mean when you say "classic," do you think TOYPAJ and California are better than the self-titled? Strongly disagree that the self-titled turned Blink into a band they weren't, i dont even understand what that really means either.

The original trio is Mark, Tom, and Scott.

Jared Luttrell likes this.
  4. Yes I do think this album and TOYPAJ are better and more enjoyable than self titled

AshlandATeam likes this.
  5. parkerxcore

Somebody's gonna miss us Supporter

I just wish the last song on the record was California. Too many feels when it kicks on and than I have to hear Brohemian Rhapsody. Still digging the album though!

6. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

This guy gets it

7. timcsheehan

Regular

ive never really listened to Alkaline Trio but i really enjoy Matt's parts on this. Which Alkaline album should i start with?

8. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Good Mourning

Daniel182 likes this.
  9. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

Agreed. This is a great album for a first-time Alkaline Trio listener.

FTank likes this.
  10. MikeC18

I love this album. My favorite tracks are probably "Cynical" and "Rabbit Hole."

Serenity Now likes this.
  11. CMilliken

Trusted

Was wondering the same thing. Looks like I'll start with Good Mourning.

KidLightning and Daniel182 like this.
  12. Tbh this is the only Matt Skiba has ever done that I've enjoyed and I've given AK3 plenty of chances. I'll probably try again too.

13. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

From Here To Infirmary and Good Mourning

Ryan likes this.
  14. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

This is a great place to start and then go forward. After that, you can go back to Goddamnit and Maybe I'll Catch Fire, which are my 2 personal favorites. And this is probably a controversial opinion around here, but you can skip From Here to Infirmary entirely.

CMilliken likes this.
  15. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Love the record, I'd take off Los Angeles and San Diego though

16. Daniel182

How dare you! Haha.

KidLightning likes this.
  17. Elder Lightning

I know I'm in the minority, but I cannot stand that album.

I won't even bother to tell you what my least favorite Alk3 song of all time is. I can't hold back. It's "Private Eye". It makes me want to rip my ears off.

18. Daniel182

I'm actually not the biggest fan of that song either. But I love Infirmary.

19. MikeC18

I'll take it a step further. I know this is an unpopular opinion from what I've read but...

I think Agony & Irony is my favorite Alk3 album.

wakaflockajamez and KidLightning like this.
  20. Daniel182

Ahhh, you guys may actually be the worst.

21. Elder Lightning

My favorites will always be Goddamnit and Maybe I'll Catch Fire because they were the first ones I heard way back in high school when I started getting into this type of music. After that I'd go with Good Mourning and then maybe Agony & Irony or Crimson. But those are my top 5 in some order. For whatever reason A&I is my favorite album to listen to on rainy summer days.

22. Elder Lightning

No, "Private Eye" is the worst. :-p

Daniel182 likes this.
  23. Jared Luttrell

Regular

Honestly I prefer Untitled to this album by a long shot. Not really sure how you can say "they tried to be a band that they aren't" when they've had serious songs previously (Adam's song, Stay together for the kids). Is it possible that just maybe that was who the band was at the time of writing Untitled? Regardless, this album is growing on me but it's probably going to be 3rd on my list of Blink albums.

fran.182 likes this.
  24. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

He means the band went away from their strength, which they did

25. heymynameisjoe

when the days have no numbers Prestigious

on point review @Drew Beringer. i couldn't agree more. i also didn't know martin johnson helped with california but it makes perfect sense.

FTank likes this.