Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Blink-182 – “Wildfire” • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 11, 2017.

1. 6/8 is their best song in 14 years. They should ditch the summery pop punk sound, stop with the nananas and the shitty teenage lyrics, and focus on Matt's strenghts mostly. Because both California and these new songs (besides 6/8 of course) make me miss Tom's contribution. Like, okay he's a weirdo who keeps playing the victim regarding Blink, yet he had a knack for riffs and licks. I would've loved to see him work with Feldmann... then of course Tom, with his huge ego, would've decided to record everything himself.

Raku, js977 and Jake Z like this.
  2. ManBearPuig

These guys live on nostalgia. Even the tweet about the song today envoked Enema of the State.

Raku and Petit nain des Îles like this.
  3. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

For all the people that love 6/8 and/or are asking for darker, more mature lyrics...why don't you have more love for the track Rabbit Hole?

I think its their best song since the reformation.

js977, fredwordsmith and PandaBear! like this.
  4. Jake Z

Regular

Agree with a lot of this, and I still love the old pop punk glory days of the 90's and early 2K. So this isn't coming from someone who doesn't enjoy the genre. 6/8 was really good, and I would love more in that vein.

I also agree that you can play punk, even pop punk, and still talk about different subjects. That's evident by how many punk bands still have legions of fans sometimes 2-3 decades later. I like nostalgiac Blink, but not for every single song.

Mark proved he could write a catchy, yet serious, darker album with +44. Skiba's track record is legendary. A record combining the best of Trio and +44, while still having a bunch of punk songs musically, would be incredible.

Will always love Blink. Just my 2 cents.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  5. Schooner

Trusted

God damn Mark Hoppus can make delightful noises out of a bass guitar for someone who always self mocks his bass playing

6. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Wow, this is probably the blandest/most forgettable song on both the deluxe and original album. The true epitome of "absolutely nothing special"

I've really liked every other song though

alex miller likes this.
  7. It's really weird. They moved on from that sound with S/T, then went onto better things, except Tom (not a fan of AVA). I don't get how they can be happy writing generic songs like that.

8. because it sounds nothing like their darkest stuff musically. it could have been on Take Your Pants Off

9. somethingliketj

And that's why you always leave a note.

Huh. I actually really like this one. Sounds like it's straight from TOYPAJ era. Classic Blink vibes.

Serenity Now likes this.
  10. Jake Z

Regular

Now that I actually listened, I really like it musically. Major TOYPAJ vibes, which is great. Lyrics are what they are-but really like the music on this. There is room for both types of songs (6/8 and Wildfire) going forward. They just need to find a bit more balance.

somethingliketj likes this.
  11. Jake Z

Regular

Love that song. I think some people would just more of a balance and diversity, not to ditch all of the fun summery songs.

12. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

.... yeah I'd rather take Neighborhoods over this or pretty much anything off California.

13. honkytonk

Narcissism on narcotics

I miss Jerry Finn

14. Fedmann is a great producer in the sense that he knows how to bring them the energy and the excitement needed, after all this time without releasing music. But in my mind, they should go with someone that could help them push the enveloppe again, because I don't think Feldmann is the right fit for that. Who produced the last two Yellowcard records ?

Raku likes this.
  15. Serenity Now

I agree but I think that works to the track's advantage. This band is not skilled at writing darker stuff. S/T was great, but it was clearly a (lucky) fluke.

Whenever they try to force that same work out now, it just comes off as contrived. For example, see all of Neighborhoods.

6/8 doesnt sound AS bad as that contrived material, but it gets pretty close.

16. Serenity Now

Agree. But i think Rabbit Hole is the perfect blend of fun/summery music and darker lyrical themes. It's their sweetspot.

somethingliketj and Jake Z like this.
  17. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

Neal Avron for Lift A Sail and the last record was self-produced with Neal Aaron involved.

Petit nain des Îles and FTank like this.
  18. ZeoVGM

Regular

"Bored to Death" sounds nothing like "No Future." No idea what you're talking about.

19. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

The beginnings of all those songs are very similar

20. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I liked California, mostly, but I'm understanding the criticisms of that album more and more with each new deluxe track. This is such lazy songwriting, both lyrically and musically. I don't blame Feldmann either - he's produced some great records. I feel like going after Feldmann is just a lazy excuse in that it allows people to avoid placing blame on a band they love.

I also don't think the argument "these are just b-sides, you can't expect them to be great songs" holds much water. Sure, they're b-sides...but the band made the decision to put eleven of them out, so it's absolutely fair to criticize them for releasing shitty songs.

21. yep they all follow similar patterns, the riffs and the licks are interchangeable. what's funnier is they are classic Tom ideas, it doesn't sound like Matt wrote them

Raku likes this.
  22. Jake Z

Regular

Did you like 6/8?

23. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I only listened to it once but didn't like it and don't remember what it sounds like

Raku likes this.
  24. Jake Z

Regular

Ok was just curious. I'm with you in that I enjoyed the album, but I want to see more AK3 and +44 influences. I thought 6/8 was really cool and different and very post hardcore leaning.

25. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I'll give that one another try