Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Blink-182 – “I Really Wish I Hated You” • Page 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Micool1

Trusted Prestigious

I like/love all 5 songs released so far. Excited for this record!

2. theredline Sep 8, 2019
    (Last edited: Sep 8, 2019)
    theredline

Trusted Supporter

I like the music of both the new Blink and AVA. I wish the lyrics from both bands would reflect where they’re at age-wise more (because I’m an old man). I love bands with older members whose lyrics change and grow with them (Descendents, Alk3, MxPx, etc). Be a punk band but don’t get stuck in a state of arrested development. All that said, I’m sure I’ll still give both a spin.

3. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I'm honestly flabbergasted that anyone thinks these songs don't sound like blink. Like or dislike whatever you want but this is as Mark Hoppus-y a song as I've ever heard.

Jason Tate and BTDandFeelingThis like this.
  4. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

Spotify has Enema edited completely; I also purchased it on iTunes a long time ago before my son was born. He's been listening to the Sparrow Sleeps versions of these songs for half a decade now.

I think that's the only album that's fully edited, but the rest of their common setlist doesn't have a lot of profanity in it to begin with, so I just play the normal versions for my kids.

5. Mike J

We talk too much / We talk in circles

Jason has censored me from saying anything constructive about Mark's overly-processed vocals on this song, which are particularly noticeable when intercut with Matt's soulful rendition of the main vocal at the end. For my sake, I hope Jason has earned enough shill points to land another thank you in Blink's liner notes.

thisisasong and AllenRicketts like this.
  6. ^lmao

7. thebencarter

I think it's a bit lost lyrically but I like the production.

Sometimes I think the same with new Weezer songs but then River's explain's what he meant when he wrote the song.

I don't know about this song tho. It seems like their just placing phrases together

8. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

I would love to hear more of your opinions in the A1 thread: Dat SA1nt NA1Te da Gr8 4 People from A1 Wh0 R Gr8 • forum.chorus.fm

9. MidDave

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

Thank you for fighting back against this slander.

VanderlyleCrybaby likes this.
  10. dadbolt

Prestigious Prestigious

I see your argument and agree that artists can pull from past experiences or hypothetical ones and write songs around those.

that said, they should have went back to square one if this incel/nice guy shit is the best they could come up with:

I love you, but I hate you when you're with someone else
    And I want you wrapped around me, but I don't trust myself
    I drove by your house, but you don't live there anymore

and

I can see that you've had enough
    I can see that you're giving up on me
    I can see that your hands are up
    I can see that you're giving up on me(emphasis not mine, copy and pasted from genius on mobile)

I hate the way that you're better off, better off
    I numb the pain but it never stops, never stops
    Wish I could say that I'm better off, better off now

and just the whole wanting to hate a former partner bc they left you is kinda tasteless coming from someone pushing 50 but maybe that’s just me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

11. Slave to the Grind

I don't think people would be as critical of these lyrics if they had not shown the ability to mature lyrically like they did on Self-Titled and Neighborhoods. California and now this appear to be regressions lyrically.

Zach and AllenRicketts like this.
  12. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

You’re only envious because the only way your favorite band will ever mention your name will be in the text of a restraining order.

#BringBackTina

Ken and Jason Tate like this.
  13. somethingwitty

Trusted

This song is truly bad. PATD and FOB already have the 8-16yo Radio Disney market covered...its shocking that this is really the music Mark, Travis, and Matt want to put out. It’s borderline embarrassing...

AllenRicketts and thisisasong like this.
  14. orangehorizon

Trusted

This has to be the worst Blink song ever.

AllenRicketts and thisisasong like this.
  15. SFguitar

Regular

The lyrics are pretty juvenile, but it's catchier than everything on California.

16. ZeoVGM

Regular

Definitely the best song so far.

17. You know, my take aside, it is fascinating how wide the fanbase is that you can get literally every reaction under the sun.

18. AllenRicketts

Regular

This is exactly right. Even This is Home is more lyrically sound.

19. VivaLaPopPunk

Regular

I've always personally enjoyed Coming Home, but it seems NFG never recognizes it.

20. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

I'm turning 36 in November so, as much as I can appreciate certain moments of my high school/college days, I am rarely in the mood for super-nasal pop-punk. Coming Home is a nice break in the constant processed distortion that floods their discography and they let the hooks breathe a little more too.