Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Blink-182 – “I Really Wish I Hated You” • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 6, 2019.

1. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Depends on how you define "hits." For legacy acts, the tendency is for radio to play the new single a whole bunch and forget about it when the record cycle is over... By that definition, I don't think either act really has had anything on the last two records except maybe "Bored to Death" and "Africa."

But if you go by how their core fans react to the newer stuff? A bit less quantifiable, but probably a better metric in terms of how much people are willing to continue supporting a band... I think Blink is in a better position.

2. koryoreo

Trusted Supporter

I preferred almost anything on California to any of the songs released so far. Its not bad, I just won't really like any of these songs all that much. Super repetitive, boring choruses for the most part and the best song released so far is super short.

orangehorizon and Ska Senanake like this.
  3. Maverick

Trusted

My least favorite of all the singles released so far. Still certain Nine will be better then California anyway.

4. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

Coming Home is the best NFG album

5. Zach

Trusted Supporter

That first chorus was huge, but everything else was just not good. Bummer, hopefully there’s at least one or two songs on the album that I’ll like.

Like someone said, these lyrics are cringy as hell. Hard to believe that the same person who wrote the lyrics for Untitled wrote these lyrics.

As long as they’re happy to be playing them, I guess that is what matters most. Still holding out hope that there is a jam on the album somewhere!

6. sammyboy516

Trusted Prestigious

I’m kind of surprised people hate the way this sounds much. That said, these lyrics are extremely inauthentic and juvenile, and not in that cute Blink way. Isn’t Mark almost 50 and happily married?

7. SFguitar

Regular

There's a ton of co-writers on this album. Who knows if he even wrote these

Raku and Zach like this.
  8. DooDooBird

Trusted

I don't hate the chorus of this song. It's catchy and people will probably enjoy it. But Mark sounds embarrassingly bad in every verse of every one of these new songs. I dunno if it's the lyrics or just his voice in general that just makes me cringe.

AllenRicketts and RaginCajun like this.
  9. Zach

Trusted Supporter

Yeah but you’d think Mark would be like “this is garbage” and have them write something better if it’s going to be released under Blink-182

Raku, AllenRicketts and SFguitar like this.
  10. Stevie

Regular

I think it’s time they dropped the “Punk” from “pop-punk” like fob before them. The vocal melody is quite clearly written by someone else and the lyrics are forced and meaningless. It’s catchy as hell but with no depth or feeling :(

11. This is fine but I do feel that lyrically on the singles for this record, and a trend that had roots on California, was this push towards less personalized lyrics. Obviously these lyrics cover emotional content, but it's hard to really understand why Mark and Matt would sing this, or what it would be about. It just feels divorced from who they are in an odd way I can't quite place. So not bad, but nothing to really hold onto besides a sing-a-long. My anticipation for NINE at this point is pretty lukewarm.

Maybe once I hear the record the pieces will fall into place, but right now I'm just not really sure what this band wants to be or say. They're clearly not trying to rehash the past, but it's not quite clear what the future of the band is supposed to look like or represent.

thisisasong likes this.
  12. Freezon

Regular

Where do you find the edited version of their music?

13. ZooZooChaCha

Trusted Supporter

I recall the exact same thing being said about California when the singles were being released. Just replace California above with Neighborhoods and DED.

Raku likes this.
  14. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

I think people would be a lot more into this song if Chvrches put it out.

15. Ska Senanake

Trusted

It's just bad.

Raku likes this.
  16. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Am I the only one who hasn't really dug these new songs? I love California to this day but, these just aren't hitting for me. It really comes off like they're trying too hard and maybe that's it, but nothing has stuck with me.

17. Zach

Trusted Supporter

No, there are dozens of us

dadbolt, Ken, Raku and 3 others like this.
  18. tssf92

Their only big single recently was a cover song so....

19. davecerv

Once again, just not for me.
    However, this song in particular really doesn't feel like they wrote it at all..
    I know many will enjoy it though.

Raku likes this.
  20. AllenRicketts

Regular

I think it's strange when people defend NuBlink writing pop music es their "evolution" or some adjacent term. Like these songs are so inauthentic and hollow, they're clearly not writing from the heart so what would be the difference in just writing a pop-punk record? If they're going to be forcing something, it might as well be good. That said, this record seems to actually have some cohesive direction so I guess so far it's technically better than California.

21. 333 GANG

ACAB

How could you possibly have any idea if they’re writing from the heart or not? Stop making shit up to reinforce your dumb narrative.

22. AllenRicketts

Regular

Because I'm assuming that Mark isn't ageless and is actually a married, grown man and not the teenager he'd have to be to write lyrics like these. Also, what narrative? I just don't like this iteration of blink and have opinions about it. Relax.

23. slimfenix182 Sep 8, 2019
    (Last edited: Sep 8, 2019)
    slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

I feel like nobody in this fanbase had a problem with them writing about raining on days like the prom, first dates, watching girls soccer practice, or teenagers needing to vote in their mid-20's. But now Mark writes a breakup song "omg isn't he happily married! Disingenuous!"

Band has always written plenty of songs for their fanbase that have nothing to do with them.

24. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Not really the style of music I'm into. It's okay and once again a catchy melody.

Darkside is still by far my favorite out of all the songs so far.

25. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

Coming Home is one of the more listenable NFG albums.

fredwordsmith likes this.