Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Blink-182 – “I Really Wish I Hated You”

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. RaginCajun Sep 6, 2019
    (Last edited: Sep 6, 2019)
    RaginCajun

Better than you, sorry

Everything they put out makes me cringe. And Mark's voice is hard to listen to nowadays. Jerry knew how to make him sound excellent, just look at Weatherman.

Edit: the song is growing on me. I do like when he says "won't you say something" but Matt does help.

Edit edit: song grew on my heavily. I want to delete my whole rant about Mark but his vocals are suspect. However, this song is good.

3. bmir14

Trusted Supporter

This song is a perfect example of what my ears don't like

4. Second favorite so far. Great chorus.

teebs41, David Parke, Micool1 and 9 others like this.
  5. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

Band seems super thirsty for relevance. This is giving me flashbacks to Raditude-era Weezer.

6. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

I'm not as into this as "Darkside" or "Blame It On My Youth," but this is solid enough. Not usually what I come to Blink-182 for, but it's impressive to me that they've succeeded (three times now, IMHO) in taking the Blink template, applying some new textures over it and making it sound relevant for 2019.

Blink-182 succeeded where Weezer failed as far as that is concerned.

There's nothing I would love more than for Blink-182 to release a Dude Ranch, Part Deux. But that's never going to happen, and there's more than a few bands filling that hole for me right now (the Decline, Ramona, Tightwire, Direct Hit!) so I'll just enjoy this for what it is: Smarter-than-average pop-rock with high energy.

7. Dan O'Neill

Regular

I think this might be the first Blink album that isn’t for me. Aw man.

8. tssf92

Not a bad song. Just hope there’s more songs like Generation Divide but at normal length. These songs just sound wayyyy too poppy for me. But if their happy doing it and their fans enjoy it than I’m happy for them.

DaveDalva, E.J., lowlevel0wl and 2 others like this.
  9. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

Could not say this any better.

I really didn't like BIOMY when I first heard it, and now it's an earworm. My old ass wants to hear The Rock Show, part 5 and they don't want to write that. That's OK. Plenty of bands out there fill that void (HELL YEAH DIRECT HIT), so enjoy this and the fact that they're still playing the old stuff.

I'm taking my five and three year old to see them next week, and they're probably more excited than me. We have been playing the edited version of Enema in our house all summer and now they know the upcoming setlist by heart.

10. heymynameisjoe

when the days have no numbers Prestigious

how dare you be so rational! but for real, this.

E.J., RaginCajun and Dan O'Neill like this.
  11. josh-

Twitter: @joshcaraballin

Nope. Hell nope. Completely over this iteration of blink.

12. SFguitar

Regular

It's crazy how polarizing this band is. The comments are always ALL over the place

Raku, Dan O'Neill and Colby Searcy like this.
  13. Phil507

They seem to be doing a better job of keeping the brand alive than Weezer though I think their audience is starting to scoff at these ticket prices given the soft sales of this tour. I'm just surprised how much these songs seem to be attempting to be relevant to the current landscape for a bunch of late 40's dudes.

alkalinexandy likes this.
  14. AMC

Regular

Probably worst blink single ever.

15. AMC

Regular

Weezer has had much bigger singles than blink of late

Raku and Dan O'Neill like this.
  16. Phil507

I think "Up All Night" was #1 on alternative radio (whatever that means these days), no? Agree that Weezer has had a good run of recent records which, for whatever reason, they refuse to acknowledge in recent setlists but that's an argument for another thread.

Orla likes this.
  17. Beside “Africa” what other hits have they had recently? “Can’t Knock the Hustle” peaked the same as BIOMY on alt radio.

ZooZooChaCha and alkalinexandy like this.
  18. alkalinexandy Sep 6, 2019
    (Last edited: Sep 6, 2019)
    alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Don't get me wrong. These songs aren't exactly "in my wheelhouse," but I like them for what they are. If another artist were to release them, I probably wouldn't care about them all that much... But it works.

I'd rather be listening to modern "pop-punk" or whatever compared to these songs, but they're fun. And I really do think it's impressive that they've been able to write something that sounds modern without feeling forced. I would argue that there's no more/less "passion" or whatever in the songs they've released as anything since the reunion.

I've actually heard the ticket sales have been pretty okay for this recent tour... And I say that as a person who "scoffed" at the ticket prices. But even if they were? One bad tour won't torpedo a band's career. They can bounce back pretty easily with the right tour package.

As for the whole "grasping for relevance" thing? Mark and Tom were in their late twenties when Enema of the State was released. Think about the lyrical content of that album and TOYPAJ and tell me it's any less embarrassing than anything they've released for this record thus far. For me, a lot of that stuff is far more cringe-worthy in terms of songwriting to try and fit a certain mold.

I get not liking the style, but I really can't hate on a band for trying to stay current. At this point in their careers they're going to be alienating somebody regardless of the move they make.

EDIT: That just means they're trying. And they're succeeding at what they're trying for.

Jason Tate likes this.
  19. Darth Amory

Sith Lord.

Im just sitting here grinning because I had the best Trio record in a long time and it's weird, I would think a Skiba blink would be my wetdream because blink was my first love of a band at 10 years old listening to All The Small Things and then Rock Show, and with Trio becoming my go-to band besides Circa Survive.

20. somethingliketj

And that's why you always leave a note.

I really agree with the Mark part.

AllenRicketts likes this.
  21. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Do people really think Mark's voice is all that different? He sounds just as monotone on these songs as he did on the self-titled record. That's kinda been his thing since he learned how to actually sing instead of like, half-shouting...

Linton9488 likes this.
  22. Zeke

Regular

I can't understand why people complain - blink has released 5 songs - all of them are still blink, but at the same time different, sound really fresh in 2019.

23. VivaLaPopPunk

Regular

This is awful. I really hope this record turns out to be one that Blink doesn't recognize that they even released it, like NFG doesn't seem to recognize they released 'Coming Home.' The only difference is that 'Coming Home' wasn't THAT bad, especially compared to this garbage Blink-182 has been releasing. I enjoyed both California albums, but this hot garbage.

AllenRicketts and thisisasong like this.
  24. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

In my mind, this could be as big as a FOB single. It’s not the blink I’d personally love but I can easily see this being all over the radio.

25. Slave to the Grind

Mark is 47. Do these lyrics sound like the product of a 47 year old?