Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Blink-182’s New Album May Feature Grimes, Lil Uzi Vert, and Pharrell • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Ska Senanake

Trusted

Wishing well is the best!

Raku and fredwordsmith like this.
  2. musicguy87

Maybe I’m in the minority but a DED follow up sounding album would be nice. Love that EP.

Raku likes this.
  3. huntercrunch

Regular

I have three thoughts on this.

1: I'm starting to think that Travis is the one in the band who has actually changed their direction, more so than Mark, Matt or even John Feldmann. I assume he's the one who had the idea to tour with Lil Wayne, and doing all of these collabs with hip-hop artists. I definitely think none of those were Mark or Matt's ideas.

2: I don't really care who's collabing with them as long as the music is good. This news doesn't bother me a bit. I'll die (probably) alone on the I like Matt in blink and don't want Tom back hill.

3: and lastly, in response to the person who blamed their lack of mainstream success lately on Tom being gone (which isn't even true, considering California performed significantly better than Neighborhoods did, and its singles actually got played on radio), do you actually think that Tom would sound great to the average radio listener and Matt and Mark won't?

I guess Matt's voice is probably a bit too gritty, and Tom's voice is warbly and awful, so Mark easily has the most radio friendly singing voice of the 3.

hongfong00, alkalinexandy and .K. like this.
  4. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Band initially got big on Mark’s voice.Dammit, Josie and What’s My Age Again?

I will add that from interviews it sounded like Travis made them have more songs on California than they initially planned and I am all for that.

huntercrunch likes this.
  5. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

This band is the definitive answer to the age old question of “is it better to burn out or fade away?” Always choose burning out.

Raku likes this.
  6. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Band is still making great records. Mainstream interests and radio may have changed, but that always happens. No need to chase that at this point.

7. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

I would counter politely - I think for hardcore fans, that is absolutely true. I myself am a Mark fan first and foremost.

But do you think those are bigger songs in the mind of the average, radio-centric (or meme heavy) fan than I Miss You? First Date? All The Small Things? Those are Tom songs in the chorus, if not the bulk (or all) of the song. And that’s where I think it matters most, both for casual fandom and for radio airplay. ATST was just in a goddamn BMW commercial, for crying out loud.

Raku likes this.
  8. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Just saying that the initial push was singles with Mark’s voice, and they really really took off when What’s My Age Again? All The Small Things was just a huge follow up. Hardcore fans knew they had two vocalists. General fans learned they had two vocalists and I think both guys have had lots of success. Man Overboard. First Date. Songs they do together like Stay Together and Miss You.

Losing one of two key voices and original members is hard, but Mark’s vocals should not go under-credited. Also, major credit to music MTV and those Blink videos.

fredwordsmith likes this.
  9. rofl

In a Blink thread of all threads? Never change

10. ZeoVGM

Regular

This doesn't really make sense. You're implying that Nine flopped so bad (which, it should be noted, is hyperbole) that they're back in the studio quickly. It's normal for a band to be working on music almost two years after they finished their last album.

.K. likes this.
  11. ZeoVGM

Regular

This is a stupid post.

You made a stupid post.

12. thisisasong

My favorite band of all time continues their downward trejectory as I continue to get older. Nine had a few good songs on it and I still maintain that if you take half of California and half of Nine you have a solid album.

But good lord those album titles are horrendous and unimaginative.