Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Blink-182’s “Bored to Death” Hits #1

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

Serh likes this.
  2. ianzandi

Regular

Listening to the album leak right now, surely going to by at least in my top 5 albums of the year. San Diego and Left Alone are highlights so far but the whole thing is so friggin great. I already preordered, so I dont feel that terrible for listening early. I'm glad they are finding success again after all these years

Daniel182 likes this.
  3. ZeoVGM

Regular

The album is so good.

Serh likes this.
  4. dzyjay

Regular

Damn, album is great!

5. Shenevercalled

Newbie Supporter

I feel like Skiba really shines in San Diego it's amazing!! Kings of the Weekends is also a freakin' jam. A lot of it feels like Motion City Soundtrack which makes sense being lead by Mark

Daniel182 likes this.
  6. hongfong00

The sky had blackened with carrion birds. Supporter

Nice!!! that Lumineers song is really annoying.

Woohoo! likes this.
  7. gabe

gabebravo.com

The new album feels like a breath of fresh air.

Jason Tate likes this.
  8. FakeGyllenhaal

Damn that's really crazy, I had no idea this song was getting played. If you would have told 15 year old me that Blink would be topping charts in 2016 I would have called you crazy but also would have been really fucking stoked.

9. Shenevercalled

Newbie Supporter

I agree with the album feeling like a breath of fresh air. It is also a very honest album. The emotions are properly portrayed. Their isn't any BIG special message or idea behind the songs, the songs feel like they were written from such a good place.

10. BringsTheAwesome

I haven't listened yet, but I have listened to the three songs released thus far. The album is preordered and July 1st can't come soon enough. I'm so happy Mark, Matt and Travis are making music together. And to top the charts? That's icing on the cake. Well done, guys!

11. drummerAVA

Trusted

Album is sounding pretty weak, as I expected it to be... Nothing special.

There are a couple of nice sounding tunes here-and-there with a shining, tradeMARK (see what I did there?) bass riff, Travis is great as always, but when Blink's sounding like Florida Georgia Line on a track... that's just... lol... Idk, the term, "rock-bottom" comes to mind.

Typical pop sounding record, missing the Blink edge... and it's nothing against Skiba, and I know Tom gets a lot of hate around here, but he's literally SO important to the Blink sound... It's just so sad that the band has stooped to this point.

12. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

Ilan, is that you?

13. drummerAVA

Trusted

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  14. BringsTheAwesome

Whoa. Someone with AVA in their screen name saying a blink record is weak without Tom?! No bias at all going on here!

slimfenix182 and Dan O'Neill like this.
  15. Trying ... not ... to ... laugh.

slimfenix182 likes this.
  16. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Stopped reading after Florida Georgia Line

17. drummerAVA

Trusted

Yeah, it's a hard pill to swallow isn't it?

18. BringsTheAwesome

Or complete bullshit on your part. I'll let you be the judge.

19. Eml182

Regular

So, you wouldn't say that Los Angeles sounds like a mix of Time To Waste and Burn by Alkaline Trio? Because that is exactly what it sounds like. Throw in some cosmic synth, which is a TOMmark (see that I did there?) and I fail to see your point.

20. drummerAVA

Trusted

So wait, you're telling me that "Sober" doesn't sound like some Country/Pop bullshit? I don't even listen (and can't stand to listen) to Country music or FGL for that matter and from the few times I've had to sit through one of their tunes, I can tell you that, melodically, it sounds just like them... lol

The album just sounds over-polished, monotonous and recycled in parts, in the worst way... and I liked +44 back in the day too. Maybe I just don't like Feldmann's production... it's like I've heard all of his tricks all before, with other bands he's worked with.

Regardless, this record was engineered for mass appeal, and obviously it is doing well... Cool... but it doesn't mean I'm going to pretend I like it just because it's a tried-and-true, formulaic, radio-ready album and has Blink-182 slapped on the front cover. Blink was so much more than summertime radio-hits and sold-out amphitheaters to me.

21. Eml182

Regular

C'mon- recycled? Tom recycled so many riffs on Neighborhoods!

slimfenix182 likes this.
  22. drummerAVA

Trusted

And the verses of "Bored to Death" don't sound like "Weatherman" and maybe another track or two by +44? People act like recycling old material is a problem exclusive to Tom... and I was also referring to the very "All Time Low" sounding melodies and rhythm guitar though-out some of these songs, what has become typical Pop-punk songwriting.

It's all just very "Feldmann." Nothing that hasn't been done before... There are some shining Blink moments, don't get me wrong, but they're spread fairly thin if you ask me.

But hey, this is all my opinion... Nobody has to see it how I see it, or agree, I'm just not really impressed with the direction. For a band that always pushed their sound forward, this just all feels like a big-time regression to me, like they finally sold out.

23. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

Always pushed their sound forward? Enema simplified their sound immensely after Dude Ranch. TOYPAJ was pretty much a sequel to Enema. Neighborhoods did not progress from Untitled. There's two times their sound progressed: Cheshire Cat to Dude Ranch and TOYPAJ to Untitled.

24. theredline

Trusted Supporter

Cool that somebody's radio station is playing this. Not any around me!

25. drummerAVA

Trusted

It really depends on how you look at it. There's much more to consider than just musical simplicity/complexity, I'd argue...