Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Blast From the Past: Old AbsolutePunk.net Best of Lists • Page 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 27, 2020.

1. theredline

Trusted Supporter

Wow. Some of this doesn’t seem as long ago as it actually is!

[​IMG]

Bartek T. likes this.
  2. theredline

Trusted Supporter

[​IMG]

3. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

Ooooooh that's a good one. Still love that record and all the stuff Nick has done since as Cassino.

sosplatano likes this.
  4. We were dumb lol.

Craig Manning likes this.
  5. kpatrickwood May 28, 2020
    (Last edited: May 28, 2020)
    kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

Hahah I remember that day well! I was in college and lived across the street from a record shop, so I called ahead to make sure they put copies of both of these aside for me. I liked in Reverie for the most part as well, but felt like Sound The Alarm was kind of a reaction to the hate In Reverie got when it came out. Both of those albums have held up pretty well. And speaking of holding up, I still let our an audible MMMMMF when the drums kick in on "If Tragedy's Appealing..." Fuck I wish Moneen was still making records.

Also, that's awesome about your review being picked up. Do you still have it anywhere? I'd love to check it out.

Bartek T. likes this.
  6. WasteSomeTime

Regular

I loved most all of the artist on this playlist and the albums, just weren't my favorite songs from any of the albums (but still great songs)

Bartek T. likes this.
  7. Jason Tate May 28, 2020
    (Last edited: May 28, 2020)
    Hell yes! Thank you! This was exactly what I needed to finalize everything. I can't believe you saved this, that's incredible. Going to go edit it in now.

8. soggytime

Trusted

Should we just start posting our personal top 10s of those years here? I like a good trip down memory lane

9. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

would it be the list you made that year, or the list you’d make for that year now? it’s cool to see the differences

10. soggytime

Trusted

I wasn't making lists back then but it would be interesting to try and remember exactly what your favorites were at the time compared to what you think is the best now

11. They've only gotten better since, IMO.

zachmacD likes this.
  12. That 2012 and 2011 list are full of stuff that I remember but don't remember at the same time. Like that band.

13. Yep. I've been thinking about Transit a lot lately, for better or for worse lol

14. abear182

Regular

Really miss that band!

Thought they where super underrated and have a very solid discography.

15. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I wonder if I can dig up the lists I made back then. I think I started making lists in 2005, but a lot of them have been lost to MySpace pages, blogs, dead music sites, etc.

16. Yeah I only have mine from 2011 onward. I was dumb and didn’t keep text back ups for years and years. Sigh.

17. sosplatano

Regular Supporter

Haha I know that's weird but I also found your personal lists from 2005-2011! I use to save them every year. I'll send them to you in a minute

18. Woah! When I was being an idiot and not backing up anything, @sosplatano was being amazing and having my back. The best Time Machine before I was even using a Mac. This is incredible.

19. sosplatano

Regular Supporter

Haha no problem, I'm glad it ended up being useful.

anonimito and scottlechowicz like this.
  20. Craig Manning

You don't happen to have my Myspace blogs in that archive of yours do you? Haha

21. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

Love that ;D and I agree, from Saves The Day's point of view they definitely tried to get back on track, although to me it's a shame when albums fall that path of "In Reverie" or "Walking On A Wire", where people tear the bands down for not sounding a certain way, while those are great albums too.

As for my review, I'm sure I could retrieve that when I visit my parents, I should still have it hidden there ;d though it is only in Polish, and well, to be honest it was cool to have a bit of it printed somewhere, but I was like 18 and I'm sure I wouldn't be too proud of the quality of my texts from back then ;d just found out some years ago that sometimes it's better to have a nice memory of something being a job well done hahah, then to be able to come back and see it whenever, and realize it actually isn't good hah

That's nice! You know, some of those are not my top favorites from a given album as well, just what I thought would serve the list best, I think. Sometimes also because of what they don't have on Spotify, like Hidden In Plain View's "Life In Dreaming", I was left with no choice but to use "Bleed For You" off of some compilation. But it still is an awesome song ;D

22. sosplatano

Regular Supporter

LOL no, sorry! I do have your list from 2012 (??) and then from 2017 to now.

23. In an incredible turn of events, a reader actually had saved all of my personal best of lists and sent them to me. I didn’t have anything earlier than 2011 and I thought these were lost to time. I am extremely happy to be able to add them back into the Chorus.fm database for posterity.

These are a nostalgia trip. I’ll have to write more about my decision making process, from what I can remember of these eras, at some point, but for now I’m just happy to have them back on our “End of the Year” page.

24. Craig Manning

So it's your fault Everything in Transit was so low on the 2005 staff list?!

Steeeve Perry and anonimito like this.
  25. lol.

as the only one it appears with fall out boy AND motion city sound track AND academy is on his list you can shut your mouth

JRGComedy and Craig Manning like this.