Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Blast From the Past: Old AbsolutePunk.net Best of Lists • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 27, 2020.

1. zachmacD

Trusted

crazy to me that Lydia's Illuminate got the number 1 spot for 2008. Doesn't seem like many people around here, or in general, know them. They could've been huge

2. failinginplace

Regular

hilariously they are on twitch right now talking about this exact thing

to your comment, your recollection is going to be infinitely more accurate than mine, maybe i just remember a few specific threads rather than the overall reaction which you would have seen. but watching people eat their words is always nice :)

3. failinginplace

Regular

That's because their first album This December It's One More and I'm Free and then Illuminate as the follow up were masterpieces and they toured like crazy and had a pretty sizable following. It's just that everything after Illuminate didn't follow up to the creative levels of the first two albums and there was a hard fall off. There were some changes in the band line up and some creative shifts that contributed to this, though I'm not sure how the timeline works out.

Hot take: I thought Maria Sais De Sicilia was better than Mindy White

Leftandleaving likes this.
  4. ooooo my newsletter this week might revolve around this

failinginplace and Jason Tate like this.
  5. the biggest shock to me is how low the Paramore albums are (Riot didn't even crack the top 30 in 2007)

RileyWitiw and Jason Tate like this.
  6. I need to do a top ten wtf from some of these and try and figure out why. There’s some doozies.

iiiii623498 likes this.
  7. I was certain the self-titled was gonna be in the top 10 but didn't even crack the top 20 - just wild

8. stories

lucid dreaming. Supporter

surprised to see sleeping at last on the 2006 list. not much news posted about them but ryan's still making tons of great music.

Patterns in Traffic likes this.
  9. jeff.dart

Regular

What a year 2005 was. Would put nothing is sound from switchfoot on there too. And sherwoods debut lp.

Bartek T. likes this.
  10. KissTheBottle

Newbie Prestigious

I championed Ruiner so hard in 2005 and seeing this list again makes me wonder how I even found them with so many classics dropped in a 12 month period.

Bartek T. likes this.
  11. I thought this was absolutePUNK what is this Souppan Stevens guy doing on this list

12. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

I’ve heard 6 albums from that 2005 list but with all the love in this thread I might check out some

Jason Tate and Bartek T. like this.
  13. Toner

A Welshy in London Supporter

I joined AbsolutePunk in 2005 as a wee little 18 year old so this is like looking back through my formative musical journey with these websites.

A friend actually asked me recently how I got in to Rocky Votolato and I couldn't work it out. It must have been from here after seeing Makers at #6 in 2006!

I'm going to have a lot of fun sifting back through these lists. It'll be interesting to see how some artists that I am now in to ranked from back when I didn't know them.

14. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

That album was insanely beloved that year. I remember how loud the hype was on the website. I think it’s hard to remember it like that now, since Illuminate proved to be the swansong for that version of the band. None of the Lydia records since really sound anything like it.

15. sosplatano

Regular Supporter

@Jason Tate Hey I just found out I had saved the 2012 list if you're wondering about Taylor Swift.

01. The Menzingers - On The Impossible Past (Epitaph)
    02. Japandroids - Celebration Rock (Polyvinyl)
    03. The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten (Mercury)
    04. fun. - Some Nights (Fueled By Ramen)
    05. Frank Ocean - channel ORANGE (Def Jam)
    06. John Mayer - Born and Raised (Columbia)
    06. Make Do And Mend - Everything You Ever Loved (Rise)
    06. Yellowcard - Southern Air (Hopeless)
    09. Anberlin - Vital (Universal Republic)
    10. Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d city (TDE/Aftermath/Interscope)
    11. Every Time I Die - Ex Lives (Epitaph)
    11. Hostage Calm - Please Remain Calm (Run For Cover)
    13. Misser - Every Day I Tell Myself I'm Going To Be A Better Person (Rise)
    14. Title Fight - Floral Green (SideOneDummy)
    15. Converge - All We Love We Leave Behind (Epitaph/Deathwish)
    16. P.O.S - We Don't Even Live Here (Doomtree/Rhymesayers)
    17. Grizzly Bear - Shields (Warp)
    18. Passion Pit - Gossamer (Columbia)
    19. The Tower and The Fool - How Long (Run For Cover)
    20. Basement - Colourmeinkindness (Run For Cover)
    20. No Trigger - Tycoon (No Sleep)
    22. Deftones - Koi No Yokan (Reprise/Warner Bros.)
    23. Code Orange Kids - Love is Love//Return to Dust (Deathwish)
    23. Taylor Swift - Red (Big Machine)
    25. Alt-J - An Awesome Wave (Infectious)
    25. Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball (Columbia)
    27. Joyce Manor - Of All Things I Will Soon Grow Tired (Asian Man)
    27. The Ghost Inside - Get What You Give (Epitaph)
    29. Propagandhi - Failed States (Epitaph)
    30 . Macklemore & Ryan Lewis - The Heist (Self-released)
    30 . The Killers - Battle Born (Island)

16. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

That top 3 in 2012 is RIDICULOUS.

OTIP & Handwritten might be in my top 5 albums of all time.

Craig Manning likes this.
  17. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

I joined AP back in 2005 when I landed my first job in high school. It was an office job and I had waaaay too much downtime. AP was how I filled it. Thanks for putting this together, it was fun looking back through all of the years.

Jason Tate, Bartek T. and Toner like this.
  18. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

2012 was a fantastic year for music. I loved discovering stuff on the site that year.

Why didn't we used to break the ties?

SEANoftheDEAD likes this.
  19. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

2005 and 2007 were great years of music.

20. kpatrickwood May 28, 2020
    (Last edited: May 28, 2020)
    kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

To dive back a little deeper, here's my stab at what the ap.net top 10 for 2004 might have been based upon what I remember being talked about most at the time.

Jimmy Eat World- Futures
    Say Anything- ...Is A Real Boy
    Green Day- American Idiot
    MCR- Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge
    Straylight Run- Straylight Run
    Midtown- Forget What You Know
    Underoath- They're Only Chasing Safety
    The Killers- Hot Fuss
    Head Automatica- Decadence
    Probably the Spiderman 2 soundtrack or some shit

Edit: NFG- Catalyst and Northstar- Pollyanna probably would have around there as well.

21. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

i for one am surprised to see +44 so high on the 2006 list while not even seeing 'Louder Now' represented

SEANoftheDEAD likes this.
  22. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

oh hell yeah, you've just reminded me of that one huge release day for me! I absolutely loved "Sound The Alarm" (and I didn't care how it sounds compared to "In Reverie", I kinda fell for "In Reverie" quite easily as well). It was the first album I reviewed for an online web-zine here in Poland that got picked up to be featured in a bigger magazine. It was so cool, I was still in high school hahh! but like you're saying, Moneen still blew it out of the water, that sound had a huge influence on me and I actually hadn't listened to them much prior to "The Red Tree".

23. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

Also I see lots of mentions of 2005 as an important year here, I think it was THE MOST important year for me if it comes to shaping my taste in music ;d I was already on ap.net, though now looking at the list I'm surprised with some I kinda forgot when reaching back to my memories. Five years ago I made a playlist called a "decade throwback" and as it is quite massive, it still misses a few bits. Now that would be a 15 year throwback, so still quite cool, I did revisit it in full like a month ago and it was still so much fun.

Check it out if you want ;D it features a small span of a few different musical outputs, sequenced together carefully to bring an enjoyable trip down memory lane ;d As well as 2/3 of the ap.net list as it seems, though I blatantly forgot some important records, however I remember not placing Cartel or Gatby's and a few others due to of them not being on Spotify at the time - and I'm not coming back to this list after it's done.

2005 Decade Throwback, a playlist by fuelingthefire on Spotify

24. sosplatano

Regular Supporter

Northstar - Pollyanna would have certainly made it too.

25. Make Do and Mend, there's a band I may have never thought about again if it weren't for seeing that 2012 lists. These are so cool to look at.