Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Blast From the Past: Old AbsolutePunk.net Best of Lists

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 27, 2020.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

When I re-designed the new website and put together the new “End of the Year” feature page, I added a bunch of old lists from the AbsolutePunk days as well. They’re a lot of fun to read back through and remember the albums, remember the arguments, and see which ones have held up and which ones are hilariously all over the place.

I have incomplete staff lists from 2011 and 2012 that I was able to put together from ancient emails. I’m still trying to see if I can track down what I’d need to get those completed.

more

Not all embedded content is displayed here. You can view the original to see embedded videos, tweets, etc.

whoh likes this.
  2. bmir14

Trusted Supporter

Well i can tell you 2005's top album is spot on

3. abear182

Regular

Wow super impressed that +44 & New Found Glory among others beat out MCR in 2006

pbueddi and Christian Romero like this.
  4. Really enjoyed this! Absolutely did not remember some of these albums ranking so highly back in those days (Saves the Day, both Sound the Alarm and Under the Boards). Also, can’t believe Paramore’s Brand New Eyes was the same year as Daisy and Beggars. What a trip!

kpatrickwood likes this.
  5. Also...is it bad that a ton of the 2005 list is still on constant rotation for me?!?

6. benschuyler

Regular Prestigious

Dear lord 2005 was an incredible year for music.

7. tyler2tall

Trusted Supporter

Everything In Transit’s placement shocked me hahah.

K0ta, Pepetito, bobby_runs and 3 others like this.
  8. Craig Manning and Jason Tate like this.
  9. That answers the spots I was missing -- will go add that to the site.

Bon Iver - Bon Iver
    The Wonder Years - Suburbia I've Given You All And Now I'm Nothing
    Transit - Listen & Forgive
    The Horrible Crowes - Elsie
    Frank Turner - England Keep My Bones
    The Dangerous Summer - War Paint
    La Dispute - Wildlife
    Fireworks - Gospel
    New Found Glory - Radiosurgery
    Blink-182 - Neighborhoods
    Thrice - Major / Minor
    I Am The Avalanche - Avalanche United
    The Story So Far - Under Soil and Dirt
    Other Lives - Tamer Animals
    Living With Lions - Holy Shit
    Manchester Orchestra - Simple Math
    Childish Gambino - Camp
    Balance and Composure - Separation
    The Rosebuds - Loud Planes Fly Low
    A Loss For Words - No Sanctuary
    The Roots - Undun
    Thursday - No Devolución
    Foo Fighters - Wasting Light
    Drake - Take Care
    Red City Radio - The Dangers of Standing Still
    Florence + The Machine - Ceremonials
    Pianos Become the Teeth - The Lack Long After
    St. Vincent - Strange Mercy

(Only 28 because there were ties.)

10. sosplatano

Regular Supporter

Incredible. And weird that Fall Out Boy didn't even make it

11. WasteSomeTime

Regular

Whats weird is Paramore's Riot not making 2007

12. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

Hahah the first thing I thought to myself was also "...I don't really remember anyone liking those Saves the Day albums that much..." I guess people were just super relieved they didn't sound like In Reverie. :shrug:

I do remember Sound the Alarm coming out the same day as The Red Tree though, and while I was more excited for Saves, Moneen blew them out of water for me with that one.

Bartek T. and KennyBloggins like this.
  13. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Yeah obviously everyone has differences in opinion and I could name a bunch of albums on these lists that I would change but Everything in Transit being 22nd in any year is hard for me to swallow.

Edit: ok and The 59 Sound being behind Forgive Durden is unacceptable haha

14. sosplatano

Regular Supporter

Also missing Commit This to Memory in 2005. I think there were just too much pop-punk classics to handle

Bartek T. and Dave Diddy like this.
  15. cherrywaves

Trusted

2005 list is really good

Bartek T. likes this.
  16. Kuri44

Are these like official official now? Cause I remember in the forum for this topic some members thought maybe the lists posted there were incomplete and possible ranking issues, for example, CTTM not being on 05 list

17. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Define The Great Line not making the 2006 list is a glaring omission.

18. There's been a weird backlash to almost every Underoath album I remember. And at the time harder music wasn't as representative in the staff. My guess is it was right under the 30 cutoff.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  19. failinginplace

Regular

I remember Define The Great Line being a (positive) massive shock for a lot of people wondering if they would lean into the pop-side of things more after They're Only Chasing Safety, and my impression from then was the reception was huge and enormous excitement.

20. failinginplace

Regular

I'm here to echo this. Half of those albums are still essentials for me. This was the year that at SXSW there was a tooth & nail stage with Anberlin, Mae, mewithoutYou, waking ashland, and then on another stage was Copeland, Lovedrug, and Armor for Sleep. It was insanely cool.

KennyBloggins likes this.
  21. Jason Tate May 27, 2020
    (Last edited: May 27, 2020)
    I remember the leak and people hating it because it wasn't They're Only Chasing Safety. It ended up being massively popular and a lot of people had to eat their words. Which was enjoyable for me. It's always been my favorite and holds a special place in my heart. I remember doing the all site/skin takeover for that one a Decemberunderground the most vividly.

22. Jacob Tender and anonimito like this.
  23. Jason Tate and anonimito like this.
  24. ben mears

This is cool. Looking back at who is still relevant and what albums have held up over time.

25. SFguitar

Regular

The biggest omission is ADTR's Homesick not making 2009