Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Blair Witch (Wingard; 2016) Movie • Page 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by OhTheWater, May 10, 2016.

1. bstadtfeld Sep 19, 2016
    (Last edited: Sep 19, 2016)
    bstadtfeld

but does it djent?

Saw this Friday night with a friend. Here's what I'll say, I'm not huge on horror movies at all, I just saw The Conjuring for the first time this summer. But I watched the original Blair With Project at a Halloween party last year and loved it. It was so perfectly creepy and everything was done just right, so when I heard about the reboot I knew I had to see it. My friend who normally does well with horror movies was freaked out but I did fine with it. The jumpscares worked really well with this movie and how modern technology works and added a lot to the first movie. As with the rest of the people in this thread, the last 30 or so minutes were engrossing and the whole time aspect really added to the hysteria. I also didn't like how they showed the witch, but it finally answered the question as to what she looks like and they did it fairly early in the movie. The two forms thing is trippy. All in all, if you enjoyed the first one, so see this one, you won't be mad you did.

EDIT: I just read this article and it's very interesting and explains some pretty intriguing theories on both the original Blair Witch and the new one. Blair Witch's Ending & Original Connections Explained

ChaseTx and michael_gatto like this.
  2. manoverboard365

Trusted

Opening weekend this did $19 million worldwide.

The film's budget was $5 million, and another $20 million spent on promotion. Not a total flop, but probably way less than the studio was predicting.

3. I liked this a lot. Thought it was legitimately scary.

4. So, apparently we didn't see the witch, according to Simon Barret..

5. Jakob Allen

Trusted

I have no idea what he means by that. Maybe that the "witch" is actually an unseen force in the woods, and that the witch we see is only a manifestation or something.
    Guess we have to wait for the bluray

6. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

So this is worth the price of admission? I pretty much only go to the movies to see horror films - Conjuring 2, The VVitch, etc - and it is on my short list of things I'm willing to make an effort for ha

7. Unless you have a killer sound system/home theater setup, I would say so. Horror movies like this are always best watched in a dark theater on a giant screena and with loud speakers. That said, I liked Conjuring 2 and The Witch more.

8. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

Good point. And I really liked the Witch. Just the right amount of scary and unsettling.

Joe likes this.
  9. Jakob Allen

Trusted

For what its worth, I loved Blair Witch, havent seen the Witch, and I absolutely hated Conjuring 2. I found Conjuring and Conjuring 2 to both be unintentionally hilarious.

10. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

How'd you feel about Insidious 1/2/3?

The Witch is definitely worth a watch. Excellent score, and the whole thing is gorgeous, visually.

11. bstadtfeld Sep 28, 2016
    (Last edited: Sep 29, 2016)
    bstadtfeld

but does it djent?

According to Barret, the thing we see is actually another victim of the witch that had been lured to do her bidding much like Lane was at the end of the movie.

12. Jakob Allen

Trusted

Hated the first one, never saw part 2, Part 3 was awful as well. I just dont get the hype around those or the Conjuring movies at all.

13. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

What do you have against Patrick Wilson? :-)

Pretty sure that Darth Maul mofo in Insidious ruined that one for a lot of people. I'd say watch the second one because it really complements the first...but if you hated the first one...never mind haha.

14. Jakob Allen

Trusted

Lol, nothing! I love Nite Owl!

I just dont find those movies scary at all. The darth maul guy was hilarious. The hand clapping thing in Conjuring made me laugh as well, I thought the game the kids play in The Orphanage was much more creepy and effective. Then of course the story Conjuring 2 was based on was a total fraud.

15. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

Never saw The Orphanage. Added to my list.

Okay to put this back on track I am going to talk about how the movie theater nearest to me - where I would see all my scary movies - just shut down and now I have to watch Blair Witch at the mall.

Jakob Allen likes this.
  16. Jakob Allen

Trusted

Nothin scarier than a shopping mall! I got to see BW at an advance screening, with a special agent (he had a badge and was hired by Lionsgate to be there) standing at the entrance who was no nonsense and kicked people out for checking their cell phones even BEFORE the movie started lol. Best crowd I have ever had at a completely full theater. No talking, no phones, no babies. Perfect scenario.

BirdPerson likes this.
  17. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Whoa. I like that a lot. I just wish it played more like that instead what everyone seems to think they saw.

bstadtfeld likes this.
  18. Jakob Allen

Trusted

Is he implying that Elly Kedward isnt actually the witch, but a pawn in an unseen witch's game? Because they made it a point to say Elly had been stretched out, so the "witch" we see obviously is Elly. [\spoiler]

19. bstadtfeld

but does it djent?

That's a theory yes. The film alludes to Elly having her limbs stretched out which would lead people to believe that the thing you see is her, however on Twitter Barrett says, "...and you don't see the witch onscreen, that's someone else!" Keeping with the theme of mystery, the franchise never actually says that Elly Kedward is the witch more that it's thought to be her, which would lead some to believe that the Blair Witch is more or less an ancient evil force. Barrett also said on Twitter, "our DVD commentary will explain a lot, but hopefully without ruining anything, as do we want to leave some elements mysterious", so there's that too. I can't wait for the DVD.

20. Jakob Allen

Trusted

I think that is the case, and I like that. It seemed a little odd that some woman (Elly), who was never even confirmed as a witch, only accused, could bend space and time. I like it a lot more if the "witch" is a force in the woods that can call on others to do it's bidding. It opens the lore up a lot more, and funnily enough, kinda makes Book of Shadows make a little more sense haha