Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Blair Witch (Wingard; 2016) Movie • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by OhTheWater, May 10, 2016.

1. angel paste

grey hairs, get out of me zoots! Prestigious

I didn't mean it as a knock on him, I'm actually curious to see what he does.

2. Laura

Bozo did the dub Prestigious

Going to an early showing of this next Wednesday. I'm really looking forward to it. The original is still my favorite theatre experience and I'm a big fan of Wingard's.

angrycandy and ChaseTx like this.
  3. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Alamo Drafthouse? I just got the email for that. Definitely going to reserve a seat if there are any left on Friday

Laura likes this.
  4. Laura

Bozo did the dub Prestigious

Yep! I got two so let me know if you can't get one. Better to give it to a horror fan than drag a coworker along.

5. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Oh well I'm definitely going and wasn't planning on bringing anyone so that would work out great!

Laura likes this.
  6. Full Effect Ed

...In F*cking Full Effect Prestigious

Just got back from an advance screening in Baltimore. Yeeeaaaaahhhhhh...

Believe the hype.

7. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

Wow. Pumped.

Wish they didn't even have trailers for this.

It's legit scary?

8. jmwhit04

May Your Music Break My Eardrums Prestigious

Fuck. I want to see this movie so bad, especially in a movie theater, but it's like, man I already get a little creeped out walking through my house in the dark all alone.

9. Full Effect Ed

Yes, it's legit scary.

Once the second act picks up, the jump scares are placed perfectly
    Once the third act begins, all bets are off

That ending...

kyle and jkauf like this.
  10. Nyquist

I must now go to the source Supporter

Someone spoiled the entire movie on another forum and yeah the third act sounds crazy.

11. Full Effect Ed

That really sucks man, I'm sorry some dickhole spoiled it for ya

12. Nyquist

Yeah it was one of those things where they just sort of blindsided me with it in the midst of a post that had nothing to do with it. I am a little bummed I don't get to experience it for the first time without full knowledge of what's going to happen, but I'm still excited to see it and am happy about the positive reviews.

13. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

I have 4 free passes to see this tonight but all of my friends bailed. Still considering going solo but I'm kind of scared ha.

14. Full Effect Ed

The smartest thing Lionsgate could've done was kept this secret going until it came out to the public. I was already on board when it was "The Woods" because I'm a big fan of Wingard & Barrett's work, but if I went to last night's screening without knowing what it really was...yeah that would've been amazing. I wish I was at that Comic Con screening so bad.

I Am Mick likes this.
  15. chris

Trusted Supporter

Sooo stoked for this. Didn't even realize it was Wingard/Barrett, You're Next is some of the most fun I've had with a horror movie like ever

16. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I agree. While it would obviously be revealed online / all newssites on Day One (or earlier, with these prescreenings), it would have been so cool. I was super excited when it was the Woods, weirdly was kind of bummed when I found it it was a Blair Witch sequel. Going in with no idea what the danger was would have been incredible

17. Full Effect Ed

I'm a two hour drive from Burketsville so Blair Witch is kind of a big deal around here, I even attended an advance screening of the original when I was 15. This film definitely delivers.

joe.boy.fresh. likes this.
  18. Nyquist

I agree it would have been neat if they managed to pull off keeping it a secret that this was a sequel until opening night. Obviously you can't convince 40% of the population anymore that it's real like the first one, but hiding the sequel under a different title is a pretty good trick. They took the secret pretty far regardless and it is neat that we'll be able to look back on this one and tell the next generation that they tricked us again by promoting the sequel as "The Woods" for a while.

19. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I'm happy I snagged a "The Woods" poster from work

gonz (Alex) likes this.
  20. chewbacca110

I hate to rain on the hype parade but I thought this was just alright. As someone who loved the original, some of this was a treat... Hearing about the legend again, certain night time instances, sounds etc.

21. stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

Why are the reviews not good? I'm worried.

22. chewbacca110

The only way I'd recommend this movie is: did you like the first one? You'll like this.

I didn't think anything was special about this but it was cool to dive back into the mythology of the witch and Burkittsville. It gave me chills of nostalgia because I adored TBWP when it came out.

23. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Man, I had such high hopes for this and was disappointed. Kind of cool the direction Wingard takes it, but mostly feels like a heightened 2016 retread of the original.

24. Nyquist

That's the main criticism I've read about and also that I'm concerned with. It's interesting, when that second film was rushed to theaters the studio had stepped in and completely altered the director's (Joe Berlinger) vision (including forcing him to add in a bunch of violent murder footage filmed at the last minute in Berlinger's backyard). He said he made a drastically different film because he felt that sending another group of young people into the woods to be stalked and murdered would be redundant. After its release and disappointing reviews he left a fairly detailed description online of his original intentions, essentially mapping out a director's cut fan edit for those who might be interested in recreating it. Someone followed his instructions and it is definitely a very different film. I still don't know that I would call it great, but I do think it's better and the studio did not understand or want what he created.

So now here we are all these years later and we have a very soft reboot sequel that is essentially what Berlinger was trying to avoid. I'm still excited because I was a fan of the original and I love the nostalgia and I like Wingard, but the retread aspects do have me a little wary. That and, as mentioned before, I got completely spoiled so I know what to expect going in so that's kind of a bummer.

25. iam1bearcat

i'm writing a book, leave me alone.

the original is my favorite horror film "of all time" and the scariest movie i have ever seen. no matter how many times i watch it or when i watch it (summer day, all the lights on, with people, etc) it scares the shit out of me.

people screaming in empty dark spaces always has freaked me out. and the way the film makes you imagine what's happening is better than ever being shown something in my opinion.