Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Blade Runner 2049 (2017) Movie • Page 22

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Ferrari333SP, Aug 24, 2016.

1. NitrateDawn

Regular

Finally saw this and yeah, it's freaking great. I was more excited as a Denis Villeneuve fan than a Blade Runner fan. I like the original but I think it has some pretty major flaws. This to me expands on it in almost every way for the better. Only thing I really didn't care for was the soundtrack and I'm curious if others feel that way.

2. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

It was certainly loud and made me think motorcycles were about to run me over

3. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

I really loved this. Never saw the original. It stands alone just fine! I wanted to see the original before going to see this one, but it was my boyfriend’s dad’s birthday and seeing it was all he wanted to do. But man. I love Villeneuve. Every shot felt resonant. The colors and lack thereof in some places. I had no idea what I would think of this and I’m so happy. Can’t wait to see it again.

4. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

You the best, Paul

5. Jason Tate Oct 24, 2017
    (Last edited: Oct 25, 2017)
    Quite good. :thumbup:

Actually weirded out by some of the things people took from the movie. Unsure what they watched.

beachdude42 and Anthony_ like this.
  6. 715creeks

Meet me in Montauk

Could you elaborate?

7. dlemert

Trusted

Deakins is def. gonna win his Oscar for this but it would be a crime if the production designer doesn't also win one.

8. secretsociety92

Music, Gaming, Movies and Guys = Life

Remember how we were hoping the Asian market would help this films Box Office woes? Well that didn't happen, opened to a mere $7.6m in China on the same weekend Geostorm made $34.1m as a comparison.

9. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Fuck. I was hoping there could be some excuse that this could be playing in theaters again down the road

10. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Awards season is the only hope now, and we all know how the Academy treats Sci-fi

11. Dog with a Blog

Maybe if it’s nominated for an Oscar. I knew we used to show all the Oscar nominated films again back when I worked at the theater. I’m hoping for the same cause I really want to see this again but there are like 4 movies I want to see right now

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  12. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I could see Villanueve get a director nom, and Deakins for cinematography...but I'd be surprised (and thrilled) if it got a best picture nominee

13. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Fucking finally getting the chance to see this tomorrow. Glad my theater is still showing it judging from the numbers

flask and Bloodsucker II like this.
  14. Great insight into the sound design and score of the movie.

ship90 likes this.
  15. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

I wouldn't expect it to pick up many noms

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  16. Your Milkshake Oct 30, 2017
    (Last edited: Oct 30, 2017)
    Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

Awesome!

Now you gotta see the first one too!

17. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

whats the originals major flaws?

18. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I think literally the only issue I had with the original was Deckard coming across as a little rapey.

I Am Mick likes this.
  19. Dog with a Blog

I never saw it as just “a little rapey” to be honest, I saw it as straight up sexual assault, and I assumed it was framed like that intentionally but it was definitely unwanted by Rachel. He goes in for the kiss, she backs away, he tries again, she gets up and goes for the door, he aggressively closes the door, slams her against the counter, and literally commands, “say ‘kiss me’” and then they have sex. I don’t have an issue with rape/sexual assault being portrayed on film, it’s a real thing that happens in life, but issue is in how it is framed. The music in this scene betrays what is happening on screen. Deckard is forcing her into sex and there is smooth noir jazz overlayed, suggesting a sort of mutual sensuality to the scene that really isn’t present. I love Blade Runner, and I always saw this scene as a way of asking if it really was sexual assault even if she’s a robot. like, at what point do we apply morality to machine? But the more I think about it, it’s the music in that scene that is a really really odd choice and makes me think that it isn’t supposed to be seen as sexual assault, even though it totally is. This is a product of the 80’s so it was probably supposed to be framed as Deckard being macho and showing that she really did want it, but seen through a modern lens, it is 100% sexual assault.

I guess one issue this brings up with the sequel is that their love-child is not really a product of love at all.

20. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Yeah, I think the music and the way it seems to end up as a mutual thing by the end of the movie (maybe I misread this part?) makes me think it maybe wasn't meant to come off the way it did. I looked at it the way you described it as a product of the 80's and just badly done macho seduction. Never even thought of it being done purposefully to pose a question, that's an interesting idea.

I Am Mick likes this.
  21. Dog with a Blog

That’s just what I thought when I first saw it cause I couldn’t believe that they’d actually have the main character do that without some sort of narrative purpose, but the more I think about it, the more I’m starting to doubt that. I mean, that question can still be asked because of this scene, but it’s far more likely it’s just 80’s “macho seduction” as you put it, which is a good term. If they just removed the music from that scene I think it would do a lot for it because it would frame his actions for what they are

SpyKi likes this.
  22. Your Milkshake Oct 30, 2017
    (Last edited: Oct 30, 2017)
    Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

Did 2049 touch on if the replicant offspring were a design choice by either Tyrell or Wallace? I can't remember if it was stated. The film seemed to mostly push that it wasn't a design choice from the majority of Wallace's dialogue and with the whole evolution of replicants whatever stuff.

I do remember Wallace implied that Rachael may have been made by Tyrell and planted in front of Deckard for him to fall for her. But it seemed like it was merely an empty assertion or he was fucking with Deckard.

Is it intentionally ambiguous idk.

I just don't really like the idea/story of that whole thing at all. And I don't like that it's Deckard's offspring.

23. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

I imagine Tyrell did it by choice if so, Rachael was his creation after all.

24. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

Can you think of any good reason why Tyrell would want Deckard to be a part of that?