Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Blade Runner 2049 (2017) Movie • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Ferrari333SP, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Morrissey

Trusted

You don't know what objectivity versus subjectivity is, then. Sicario is a bad film. Ferrari333SP said it is a fantastic film. That is how opinions work.

2. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I liked Arrival, though it has some issues. I haven't seen any other Villenueve.

3. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Again, no. There are plenty of objectively good films that I recognize as such but dislike anyway. I just don't frame those opinions as definitive facts. I say "I hated X film" or "I thought X film was awful." I don't say "X film was horrific." I've said this many times before, I don't think it's a radical concept.

fenway89 likes this.
  4. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I haven't seen any of his movies pre-Prisoners, but he's 4/4 of the ones I've seen.

5. Nathan

If someone says "X film was bad", is that not their opinion?

6. Anthony_

No, that's not a statement of opinion. "I thought X film was bad" is a statement of opinion.

fenway89 and scottlechowicz like this.
  7. Nathan

What is the difference? If I say "X movie was bad", clearly it's because I thought the movie was bad. It is my opinion it was bad. If someone disagrees and says "X movie was good", clearly they feel differently. The world keeps spinning. There are further debates to be had if people disagree, and that's where you can actually have an interesting conversation. Policing people's language and opinions doesn't do anything.

8. Anthony_

I don't know, I just don't think it's that big of a deal to ask. But I get when I'm outnumbered so forget I said anything, my bad.

9. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

This is nonsense. Is there that much of a difference between saying "I thought this film was bad" and "this film was bad"? Just use common sense that someone's post about a film is an opinion.

10. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

What. You need to see Prisoners and Enemy. Not sure how you thought Sicario was bad though.

fenway89, beachdude42 and CarpetElf like this.
  11. Schooner

Trusted

Blade Runner was out last year of school English exam study piece so keen to revisit this film
    Great cast. Great director

12. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

What didn't you like about Sicario, if I may ask?

13. FrenzalRob

Melbourne, AUS Supporter

PREACH.

(Yet super sensitive college students like to think otherwise.)

14. Nathan

I meant purely this scenario, I don't like the context you took my words into.

FTank and FrenzalRob like this.
  15. FrenzalRob

Melbourne, AUS Supporter

It was a joke, and you are correct in how it applies in this scenario. Sorry, didn't mean to misrepresent your point.

16. Morrissey Dec 19, 2016
    (Last edited: Dec 19, 2016)
    Morrissey

Trusted

Sicario is in a long line of films that purposely use real-life events and situations as backdrops for politically and thematically empty genre work. Nothing meaningful about the drug war, America's complicitness in creating the violence, or Mexican attitudes toward the cartels is dealt with on a meaningful level. It is just a setting for his action film.

CarpetElf likes this.
  17. Victor Eremita

Not here. Isn't happening. Supporter

The idea of this is awful and that trailer didn't help.

18. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Looks like we had different expectations for that film then, as personally I didn't care that it didn't cover any of that. Instead I was more interested in the main female character herself, and how she dealt with the situations she was presented with

fenway89 likes this.
  19. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

Feels like I walk into a grey cloud every time I open one of these threads. The world can't possibly be that bad a place to garner such constant negativity.

I'm a big fan of Villenueve and am always excited when top talent explores the cinematic riches of a world we want to see more of.

20. I liked the tone of the trailer, it fit well with the original. I'm excited for this.

Schooner likes this.
  21. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Yeah I'm also excited for this judging by at least the people involved and that teaser.

22. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

R rating confirmed.

23. angel paste

grey hairs, get out of me zoots! Prestigious

Apparently he's in talks to direct Dune next? Crazy how fast he's getting handed iconic sci-fi franchises haha

24. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Would be nicer if he wasn't helping perpetuate the need to make sequels and reboot everything and use his clout to bring more original ideas to Hollywood.

Joel likes this.
  25. angel paste

grey hairs, get out of me zoots! Prestigious

he just release Arrival...? Dune's only adaptation at the moment is also not very ideal.

coleslawed likes this.