Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

BlacKkKlansman (Spike Lee, August 10th, 2018) Movie • Page 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, May 10, 2018.

1. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

They never did any shot that clearly showed the bomb under the car from what I remember. Only implied it from her going next to the car. It was poorly edited/shot.

2. They definitely showed her put it on the car

GrantCloud and aoftbsten like this.
  3. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I thought where the bomb was placed was pretty clear, the scene itself just felt kind of bland and rushed. The way it was filmed and edited lacked the same tension that the previous 30 minutes had built up.

4. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

OotyPa and Tim like this.
  5. FrenzalRob

Melbourne, AUS Supporter

Loved this. Whoever said earlier that the Flip attending the Klan meetings scenes were tense, was right. The character of Felix and his arrogant intent to "weed" out anyone who wasn't with the Klan was stupidly funny as much as it was a tension builder.

Topher Grace was fantastic, and the Klan initiation/Black Power contrast scene was such a powerful, amazing moment. Agree with whoever said that the bomb scene was anti-climatic. The mood was so tense up until that point that I felt the payoff was very little.

Complete silence from the audience during the real footage at the end. Floored.

6. OotyPa

fall away

Watching this in 15 minutes.

7. MysteryKnight

Prestigious Prestigious

What a great and powerful movie. So many great scenes. I agree with everyone who said the car explosion scene seemed rushed and poorly cut, I didn't realize she ever placed the bomb under the car. I do love how they showed the real footage from Charlottesville, that was powerful.

And I really liked the numerous times they took a dig at present day politics, like when they said America "would never elect someone like David Duke"

8. iCarly Rae Jepsen

"not all cops" is certainly a take

9. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

unsurprising. disappointing, but i do think the text of his films stand on their own, and are nuanced and complex enough that they hold a lot of value in the way they've addressed police, race, and gun violence.

It's also the old adage, that films about race from non-white directors are held up to infinitely more scrutiny than white films from white filmmakers, even when they're about race.

Connor likes this.
  10. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

Really did not like this

kidwithhelmet likes this.
  11. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

The acting was pretty bad throughout. It often felt like there was supposed to be a joke or humorous line where there really wasn’t or the joke simply fell completely flat (I also expected it to *have* way more jokes than it did). I hope most of it were things that actually happened because if not then so many moments make absolutely no sense at all. There were so many shitty pandering lines, like I audibly groaned when Ron said there’s no way some blatant white supremacist could ever become President of the United States.

The final cross burning scene, which was really well shot and menacing, should have been the actual ending. The Charlottesville videos, though by themselves are obviously very disturbing, did not at all evoke in me whatever the rest of the world seems to feel. Like, in no way is it profound or even creative to explicitly point out that white supremacy is still very much alive in America and the police as an institution has not fundamentally changed. Nobody going to see this movie is going to be genuinely challenged by that idea. The whole movie just went back and forth between defeatist cynicism and jerking itself off

12. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

13. I didn’t take it as something that was supposed to be profound, creative, or challenging? It pretty clearly was just Spike’s way of ending this movie about an interesting story in a way that didn’t make it seem like “yay! racism is fixed now!” I think it was effective in getting that across to people who may have otherwise left the theater feeing really positive about what they just watched.

The cross burning would have been a suitable ending in itself though, absolutely agree with you there. I was actually surprised when the film kept going.

chewbacca110 and Connor like this.
  14. Kuri44

Watched this last night. Not nearly as good as I was expecting it be, which was disappointing as this film had a lot of potential, but ended up feeling rushed and bland.

15. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I finally watched it and I thought it was fucking fantastic

Ken and Jake Gyllenhaal like this.
  16. iCarly Rae Jepsen

17. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Idk how I felt about this