Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Black Panther (Ryan Coogler, Feb 16 2018) Movie • Page 35

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by AndrewSoup, May 18, 2016.

1. a nice person

Trusted Prestigious

Finally got to see this today. It was ok, middle of the road Marvel film. I’ll be combing through this thread to see if people had the same issues with it.

TEGCRocco likes this.
  2. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Also the final battle takes place in a literal Underground Railroad

SteveLikesMusic, clucky and Serh like this.
  3. clucky

Trusted Supporter

Same character? Sure they are both super intelligent inventors who design cool tech... but personality wise they are completely different.

4. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

Both wise cracking cocky comic relief.

5. clucky

Trusted Supporter

I guess?

The difference is that Tony is kinda an asshole and Shuri is an ambitious teenager.

fenway89 and SteveLikesMusic like this.
  6. Dodger

“The greatest teacher, failure is”

I saw this again. Didnt hold up as well for me, unfortunately. I still really like it but along with the things I loved, the issues I have were definitely reinforced. I still think the acting, the rich characters, emotion, story, and themes are all incredible though.

The first watch Wright was my highlight, but this time, I really loved Lupita and Duke specifically. Also I think Boseman did phenomenally and dont think he got overshadowed which Ive heard a lot. I love how his guilt for his fathers actions played into his performance. I thought he conveyed his conflict very well, but it was subtle. The moments he needed to show emotion, like when asking Zuri about his Uncle and when he yells at his father he nailed.

7. Nathan

Boseman’s performance was so collected, calm, and restrained. Super rare in a superhero landscape of wisecracking assholes or dark, broody assholes.

8. drewinseries

Drew

He never freezes.

RyanPm40 and Mrplum5089 like this.
  9. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

10. Dodger

wow thats pretty cool. Very similar ruthlessness too. I guess Klaw is Nappa? lol

11. Dodger

So Ive seen this compared to the Lion King, but at least story wise I almost think its the opposite. Here me out. Wakanda is Pride Rock. T'Chaka would be Mufasa (The King beloved by everybody). N'Jobu would be Scar (the Uncle). Simba (heir to the throne) would be T'Challa.

This movie is almost like what would have happened if Scar left Pride Rock to help less fortunate lions that didnt live in Pride Rock and had a child nobody knew about(Erik). Then instead of Scar killing Mufasa like in The Lion King, Mufasa actually ends up killing Scar. Then Mufasa and Rafiki (Zuri) don't take Erik back to Pride Rock and leaves him for dead.

Then unlike Simba who was found by Timon and Pumba, nobody finds Erik. He doesn't live an epicurean, hakuna-matata-like exile in paradise like Simba. He's left in the elephant graveyard (which I guess would be Oakland in this. No offense for anybody who lives in Oakland. Just an analogy.) He lives in fear and pain and fighting for survival. He grows up to resent Pride Rock (Wakanda) and wanting revenge for being orphaned and then abandoned in the wild by his own kind.

I dont know. I feel like thats about as far as I can go with this analogy. Basically, Erik needed Timon and Pumba. He needed to be taught Hakuna Matata. Who knows, maybe if Simba wasn't taught Hakuna Matata, he grows up to become a homicidal lion determined to exact his revenge on the wildebeest since thats who he thought killed his father.

Timon and Pumba are the key to everything. Without them the world descends into chaos.

Timon and Pumba Forever.

fenway89 likes this.
  12. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

If this were true he'd definitely never (kill) friez(a) :(((

/reaching for a joke cause I love dbz

fenway89 and RyanPm40 like this.
  13. Dodger

Not gonna lie. it took me WAY too long to figure that out lol But I appreciate it.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  14. Davjs

Trusted

Saw this last night, I liked it a lot and had a great time. The first waterfall fight was probably my favorite part.

I dipped out of this thread on page 17 because I didn't want to be spoiled, so don't know if any of that had been talked about but there were some parts that felt like a James Bond movie which was cool.

The villains were the best we've had in the MCU so far, up there with Killgrave for me. I loved how we got one super over the top, crazy villain and then one with emotional motivations that you can agree with, adding a cool dynamic to the story. The best of both worlds in one movie.

RyanPm40 and aoftbsten like this.
  15. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

I will say I was pretty surprised to see Claw killed off in this film. I thought he'd go on to be a problem for the Avengers again, but it worked well within the story and fit into Killmonger's character development well.

RyanPm40 and Davjs like this.
  16. Davjs

Trusted

Same. He was so much fun but it played really well into the story so that's ok.

They were both really good villains tbh and were perfectly used.

carrytheweird likes this.
  17. [​IMG]

18. Nathan

Not a real picture/shirt, fun as it is.

[​IMG]

carrytheweird likes this.
  19. Henry

Moderator Moderator

RyanPm40 likes this.
  20. stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

That was great. I can't believe I watched the whole thing, but it was that good.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  21. Definitely the best part about Black Panther. T'Challa is probably the most humble superhero on screen.

Davjs and Nathan like this.
  22. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

23. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

24. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I really want to see how the Wakandans react to Thanos and his army and what that experience means for the future.