Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Black Mirror (Channel 4, Netflix) TV Show • Page 51

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Joe, Apr 29, 2016.

1. I haven't seen this season yet, but the worst Black Mirror episodes aren't bad, it's just that the best ones are really, really good.

ncarrab, ramomcferno and SpyKi like this.
  2. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

I would argue that the worst Black Mirror episodes are actually pretty bad. And at least in a bad episode of a normal show, you still have pre-existing characters/storylines you like that you can latch onto.

3. Anthony Mackie gave the best performance of the season imo. The dead look on his face as he trudges through the mundanity of his life is so sad and effecting.

thesollopsist and ncarrab like this.
  4. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

The acting was the only part that I felt was up to their previous standards pretty much across the board.

riotspray and Argus like this.
  5. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Yeah I finally finished the season last night, and thought Smithereens was good too. Didn’t care for the Miley ep, but overall I thought you guys were too harsh on this season.

6. Oskarr

Needled 24/7

Not to derail, but I just watched Hang The DJ for the first time. Wow. I yelled things at the screen.

7. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

I liked the Miley ep :-O

aoftbsten likes this.
  8. Just watched the Miley ep, actually really liked it. I didn't have Disney Channel while Hannah Montana was a thing, and I never really paid attention to pop music as an adult, so I've always been ambivalent towards the newer generation of pop stars, but I low-key always admired Miley's individuality, and I think a lot of that comes through here.

Doesn't feel a lot like Black Mirror, though, but I guess that's fine.

aoftbsten likes this.
  9. clucky

Trusted Supporter

Just finished Striking Vipers. I think I really liked it but there was also a lot to it that I'm gonna need to unpack. Which is how any good black mirror episode should be.

10. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I’ve now watched Striking Vipers and Smithereens and both were enjoyable. I’ve seen much worse BM episodes.

Not sure when I’ll get to the last episode...comments here and reviews have been very offputting so I’ll be going into it (eventually) with rock bottom expectations.

11. Keith Jameson

overrated lush

The Ashley O episode might be the all time worst episode BM in my opinion-- felt like a poorly made, R-rated Disney movie. Smithereens didn't make much sense to me. Striking Vipers was an interesting look into the future of virtual reality and its implications on sex and relationships.

12. clucky

Trusted Supporter

Smithereens is definitely one of my least favorite episodes. Trying to think of one that was worse and at least Metalhead had cool robots and Waldo was different. This just all felt incredibly boring and predictable, with none of the cool futurism that makes most episodes fun or the absurdity that makes the episodes set in the current level of tech work.

Even if you evaluate it on its own, not as a Black Mirror episode, the tech guy being so over the top 'good' gives it such a sour taste. But also like They try and set up the idea that its the apps fault he was distracted. But a text would've done the same thing. Or any other notification. And instead of addressing it they just have the ceo guy go 'well I got pressured into making the app more addictive I didn't want to I'm really still the good guy here'. It just felt like a giant swing and a miss.

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  13. Argus

Of sugar and ice I am made

I agree. Though there are the occasional happy endings, I feel like the show is at its best when it leaves you feeling a little shaken up about what you've just seen. Striking Vipers and Smithereens focused on topics that had already been (more effectively) tackled in previous episodes, and they didn't really leave us with much as far as "morals" go. Bad episodes are still better than a good deal of the other things one can watch, but there are so many great ones that it's far more noticeable when the show fails to live up to its own standards.

14. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Is a bad Black Mirror episode better than a lot of other things? Sure.

Are there still 1000000000 shows that are better than than this season of Black Mirror? Absolutely.

15. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Name 999,999,999 better?

16. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I feel a list coming but I don’t want to be the one.

17. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Not gonna make a list, but there's plenty of prestige TV out now. The first couple of seasons of Black Mirror were excellent, especially for them to have been released in 2010 and considering some of the themes they tackled. But in 2019, after 4 seasons of the show, these episodes seem like they were written by fans or something.

18. clucky

Trusted Supporter

This... whatever it's called when you take the song but change the lyrics up, of Head Like a Hole in MJ&AT is throwing me for a bit of a loop (reminders me of the mashup with call me maybe) but liking the episode so far.

19. clucky Jun 19, 2019
    (Last edited: Jun 19, 2019)
    clucky

Trusted Supporter

haters can back off this episode is both charming and hilarious.

might be the most fun episode of the series. I still love the episodes that really make you think about the morality of the main characters... but the just plain fun episodes are good too.

supernovagirl and ramomcferno like this.
  20. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Striking Vipers was okay. Didn’t love it, didn’t hate it.

Liked Smithereens a lot.

This Miley episode is so damn weird. I can’t tell how I feel about it. Some of it is cheesy and fun and other parts are just embarrassing. I like the main girl though, she’s good in this and in The Nice Guys.

ramomcferno and Cameron like this.
  21. jorbjorb

7 rings

Actually really enjoyed the Miley episode.

aoftbsten likes this.
  22. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I liked all 3 episodes, but none were close to series best. They also weren't series worse, definitely mid-tier overall. That being said, still solid watches.

I'm ready to be blown away by an episode again though

BradBradley and ramomcferno like this.
  23. irthesteve

There's plenty of memes like this but I kinda just wanted to bump the thread with false hope lol

24. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

what if we're still just in the prequel?

irthesteve likes this.
  25. irthesteve