Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Black Mirror (Channel 4, Netflix) TV Show • Page 49

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Joe, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Hallenson Jun 6, 2019
    (Last edited: Oct 9, 2023)
    Hallenson

What do you think they could have done better with Striking Vipers to make it better? I agree, the potential for greatness was definitely there.

2. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

A greater focus on the dynamics of sexuality and gender within the VR world and how they do or do not overlap with physical identity, bringing the wife into that role playing aspect to see if she was into it like she was at the bar and if they could reclaim their passion in that world, maybe some quick story about the game company having to patch the sexual aspects of the game due to any number of issues. There are tons of possibilities.
    Also I know it’s really not what the episode is about, but a fighting game where you feel pain sounds like an absolute nightmare.

3. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Sorry, but this season sucked.

In fact, this show has kind of been a shell of it's former self since it "came to America"

Brent likes this.
  4. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I liked Bandsersnatch a lot. I totally bought into the meta elements and the responsibility of consumers theme. I don’t think they’re guaranteed to totally be beyond the point of relevance since they just put that out, but I do think this season was a big letdown compared to previous highs and the fun of messing with the format so recently.

It took me forever to catch up, and I’m not sure if next time they come out I’ll watch it all the day it drops or just wait it out.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  5. ramomcferno

Mystery is the secret ingredient Prestigious

I liked all of the episodes this season but didn't love them like I have in the past. I felt like Smithereens was my favorite.

6. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Only watched striking vipers and just thought it was okay. Easily could have been 30 minutes I feel like.

7. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

I think maybe Charlie Brooker doesn’t have as many good ideas as we thought he did

Brent and riotspray like this.
  8. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Or the same length but cut down the start by quite a bit and actually show them processing what happened instead of a bunch of time skips.

9. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

Watched these last night. Not too sure how I feel about any of them. Vipers was definitely the best executed. Smithereens feels too easy for this series. The Miley one I like the concept I guess.

ramomcferno likes this.
  10. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I feel so bad that the poor protagonist got totally sidelined even in her own story. Girl just can’t catch a break.

12. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

13. y2jayjk

Trusted Prestigious

The Miley ep lol

14. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Just watched the miley ep. maybe the worst one theyve done but it was worth a few chuckles.

Brent likes this.
  15. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

The cool thing about Smithereens is you can figure out where it’s going ten minutes in but it goes on for another hour anyways

Brent and EASheartsVinyl like this.
  16. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I liked Striking Vipers. With the initial concept, I was expecting it to turn into some standard mid-life crisis let's start a fight club storyline. Did not at all expect it to dive into questions of sexuality and gender. Didn't quite reach the level of greatness I had hoped, but I thought it was well executed and interesting overall.

teebs41 likes this.
  17. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

I enjoyed the episodes but it didn’t blow my mind like the early seasons. I’d say this is the weakest season so far.

Brent likes this.
  18. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Every other season has had at least one all-timer, and this is lacking that to make up for everything else being mediocre.

I actually kind of want a future episode that is totally kid friendly now.

19. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

Liked all three.

Striking Vipers: this was probably my favorite. Wish it went deeper into their relationship and whether they’ve always had feelings for each other that they felt they couldn’t express due to the heteronormative expectations placed by society, especially onto young black males. They briefely touched on it with the kiss before their fight, and Anthony Mackie really sold the moment where he hesitates before denying any feelings, but I wish it was more of a focus.

Smithereens: probably one of the low key scarier examples of technology in the series, with the social media site being able to get all the guys information before the police could, and how the FBI just immediately trusts them. Predictable storyline but holy shit the acting was phenomenal.

Rachel, Jack, and Ashley Too: gotta echo the DCOM comment earlier, but I loved DCOMs growing up so I appreciated this. The whole sequence where the girls sneak into the house posing as exterminators was way too sitcom-y, but Miley was great and the end credits where she’s performing Head Like A Hole made me grin. Worst of the 3

ramomcferno likes this.
  20. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

It would have made sense if it was clearly imitating a DCOM - which I think they were trying for - but it wasn't enough to make it seem overtly intentional, so it was just kinda in the uncanny valley realm. Like they did a good job with that kind of thing with the cheesy sci-fi theme in the star trek episode.

domotime2 and EASheartsVinyl like this.
  21. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

That opening for Callister was so good.

Jacob likes this.
  22. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

...is DCOM a widely used term? I just had to do some serious googling to figure out what y'all were talking about lol

imthesheriff and Jacob like this.
  23. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

It’s widely used among super cool people who are hip and with it.

Brent, kbeef2, RyanPm40 and 2 others like this.
  24. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Lmao that makes sense, I am none of those things ;)

Must be a newer term? My 25 year old and 22 year old little sisters watched Disney movies all the time when we were kids like HS Musical and Camp Rock and definitely never threw that term around heh.

riotspray likes this.
  25. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

If anything it’s an older term, lol. Or not even a term, just the only fitting acronym. I stopped watching them in like 2002 and I’ve only ever called them that. I was a huge nerd for them though so I’m sure I’ve discussed them more online than most people...

RyanPm40 likes this.