Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Black Friday (Thursday) / Cyber Monday 2016 • Page 2

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Dirty Sanchez, Nov 20, 2016.

1. okayibelieveyou

Tam Rogic CSC Prestigious

I just want Yeezys

GrantCloud likes this.
  2. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Consumers lose money? Wut?

3. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

I've got an Amazon cart filled. Going to abuse my free Prime shipping by refreshing it all day and seeing what goes on sale and when, while being paid to sit at my desk on a day where I have no work because everyone else has requested the day off. Gonna be great.

pauljgreco likes this.
  4. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

5. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Ken likes this.
  6. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

You read the link, didn't you?

But here:
    what many retailers do is offer lower-quality versions of popular products specifically for Black Friday. These inferior versions are known as derivatives, and they're typically made with cheaper materials and parts that enable retailers to offer them at such low prices.

not all products sold on Black Friday are derivatives. A lot of the products you'll see online and in stores are the same items you'll see year-round, in which case it probably pays to jump on what could be the lowest prices of the year, right? Wrong.The Wall Street Journal studied pricing data across a wide range of product categories, and it found that most items are offered below Black Friday price points at different times throughout the year. For example, there's data suggesting that you're more likely to get a better deal on a new car in April than on Black Friday. Meanwhile, flat-screen TVs often get discounted the most the week before the Super Bowl. And if you're buying jewelry for that special someone in your life, you'd best wait till after Valentine's Day, when you're likely to score the deepest discount.

if your plan for Black Friday is to visit your favorite retailers, either in person or online, and snatch up every product in sight, there's a good chance you'll wind up overpaying for most items and busting your budget in the process.

7. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Idk. Its saying brands are selling crappier products to compensate for the cheap price. Is there data to back that up?

8. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

oldjersey likes this.
  9. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Ken likes this.
  10. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

People are suckers. What's really crazy is that people get defensive over anti-black friday rhetoric.

Turkeylegz and oldjersey like this.
  11. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

I agree that Black Friday sucks for the most part. I've never, and will never, ditch my family on a Thanksgiving for a new toy, and I won't make myself miserable by joining the stampede the day after, either. I dug up another take on this a friend of mine posted last year, though:

Untitled.png

cybele, Chase Tremaine, Eric and 9 others like this.
  12. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

This is a really good point. I never even considered it.

Turkeylegz and electro haikus like this.
  13. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

My black Friday is consisting of going to the party store in hopes of getting Goose Island Bourbon County. Other than that, I'm avoiding all stores.

coleslawed, GrantCloud and Turkeylegz like this.
  14. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I always hit up Target after dinner on Thursday to see what DVDs and BDs they have on sale. I always get some really good deals. Since my birthday is during Thanksgiving week (this year it's on Black Friday), I view it as a birthday treat-yo-self.

My local comic shop also has a nice "Blackest Friday" sale in the morning I've hit the past few years, but that one has fallen off recently: It used to be 33% off everything except new issues for a couple hours before going to 25% off, but now the whole morning is only 25% off. Boo.

Turkeylegz and ChaseTx like this.
  15. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

My wife's opening a new business so we'll be going out to Sears most likely to get all our appliances, and maybe Best Buy for computers/iPads.

16. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

Worked two Black Fridays at a large department store as a teenager, one with a 4 or 5am store open and one working a 12 hour shift from 11:45pm on Thanksgiving till 11:45am on Black Friday. Was also my first day ringing register at the latter one with zero prior training. Simply put, it was hell. Management also made us take our "lunch" before 4am so we would go off the clock during overtime pay hours.

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  17. joey-wan kenobi

Happiness is a warm gun mama

Was just discussing this sort of thing with a client earlier. thanksgiving isn't a universally celebrated holiday, so it's hard to want "freedom of expression and beliefs" yet get pissed when a holiday doesn't give everyone a day off. Not everyone needs that day off.. just sucks that it's all in the name of corporate profiteering though...

18. y2jayjk

Trusted Prestigious

Any good stuff online now?

19. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

Just going to target to try and renew my expired phone contract for a 250 dollar gift.

20. Borat 2: Vengeance

The Pitbull of Chorus.fm Prestigious

Going to get Ratchet and Clank for 10 dollars if its the last thing I fucking do

Turkeylegz, Matthew and Dirty Sanchez like this.
  21. jorbjorb

7 rings

theirs some good black friday deals here in canada lol

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  22. Iamhollywood315

Regular

honestly, you couldn't pay me to brave the mutants of society on black friday to save a few bucks. Also a lot of shit like TV's and what not are just shit models from name brand manufacturers, its better to do research and pay a bit more for a quality product. Then you also get people fighting over bath towels so yeah. Black Friday is crap. Cyber Monday? fuck yes, count me in.

23. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

My wife wanted to go shopping tonight for our son so we hit up Toys R Us, which was surprisingly bearable (didn't even have to wait in any line) and then we went to Wal-Mart which wasn't bad either. After that we went to Kohl's and Target which were both a certified ZOO. Both stores had lines starting at the back of the building. So insane. We pretty much just walked in and then walked out and were home by 9 p.m.

24. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Went to Wal-Mart, Best Buy, and Target just for movies. Made out pretty well and they weren't too bad

lish likes this.
  25. Turkeylegz

Trusted

Made it through today. People can be awful but I am really thankful I have such awesome coworkers.
    Picked up Band of Brothers for $10 cause why not.

coleslawed and lish like this.