Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Birth of a Nation (Nate Parker) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Nathan, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

October 2016

"At this year's Sundance, no film had more hype behind it than Nate Parker'sThe Birth Of A Nation. The film - written and directed by Parker, who miraculously raised $10m to get the job done - dramatizes the life of Nate Turner, who famously led a slave rebellion in Virginia all the way back in 1831. The film won both the Grand Jury Prize and the Audience Award at Sundance, and has already been generating Oscar buzz for all involved."

2. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Bummed we gotta wait that long, but I'm sure it's for awards season. Gonna be a tough watch.

3. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

4. Looks good

5. Nathan

[​IMG]

6. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Pretty powerful poster.

7. iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  8. Nathan

Gut-wrenching. It will not be easy for me to justify seeing this, if possible at all.

9. iCarly Rae Jepsen

sigh

10. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Yea, I don't even know how to react.

joe.boy.fresh. likes this.
  11. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

I guess I can't see this movie without being a bad person now

12. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

I wonder how this news will affect the film's Oscar chances. After the last two years having been so controversial for lack of diversity, I expected this film to sweep pretty much every category it would be eligible for (Best Picture, Director, Actor, Screenplay, etc.). Then again, this is the Academy, the same body that gave Roman Polanski best director in 2002.

It's definitely not an easy situation to navigate. On the one hand, he was acquitted. On the other hand, he was a college athlete at a time when it was somehow even easier than it is today for people to get away with sexual assault on college campuses (athletes especially). I wanted to see the film as well, was really looking forward to it, but now I don't know how I feel anymore. I guess the accuser's brother accomplished his goal in bringing this to light. At least he did where I'm concerned.

13. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I don't think that's the implication, as I think we can all choose to separate the art from the artist. I will likely still see this, as it looks to be a very important piece of work. But I think I will wait to do it in a way where the director doesn't earn my money.

14. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

i can't word in this a way that makes me look good, but i've separated art from the artist before, and unfortunately it looks like ill have to do the same again. Especially with this movie.

15. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

I can't get over that he wrote this with the co-conspirator. That to me is real fucked up. This is all a horribly tragic scenario however you shake it.

16. Dominick Aug 17, 2016
    (Last edited: Aug 17, 2016)
    Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

I'm not going to watch a rapist's film. It would be rewarding men who destroy lives and that's something we should be against. Obviously, people are free to do as they wish, but I would just suggest this: there is a social context for this film, namely the uprisings and open struggles of African-Americans, living in the afterlife of slavery, for a recognition of humanity and the rights conferred upon that category. Black women started Black Lives Matter and have been at the forefront of the movement from the beginning. What does it say about our support for them as women, if we aren't willing to act upon that claim?

17. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Not trying to excuse seeing this (haven't decided yet, but @Dominick makes a great point), and I say this in ignorance as I still need to read up on the case, but does it look like he did it? I'm aware of the woman's suicide as well.

iCarly Rae Jepsen and Dominick like this.
  18. chris Aug 17, 2016
    (Last edited: Aug 17, 2016)
    chris

Trusted Supporter

I mean, the incident itself is confirmed took place, the argument being that Parker maintained that it was consensual, which we know is impossible given that the victim was passed out. Seems like a large part of the innocent verdict was based on her consenting to engaging in sexual activity with Parker previous to the assault (like the day before or something) but if you read the transcript in the Jezebel article about the situation, even that instance seemed like she was pressured into it. I mean universities today are still fucking up when it comes to properly defining and educating consent, I can't imagine it was much better in the late 90s

edit: This is the article I'm referring to

19. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Yeah, plus he kept going to the victim's dorm and harassing her for pressing charges

jkauf likes this.
  20. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Thanks for the info/link.

Yuck.

chris likes this.
  21. Jakobindeed

My Whole Life is Thunder Prestigious

I don't think I can justify seeing this now even though I wanted to. The saddest part of it is knowing how well this will probably do despite all of these accusations, Hollywood has showed us time and time again that it does not care about the victims in situations such as these and abusers have a platform to continue making work despite having committing heinous acts. I understand separating art from artist and that the story being told in this film is important, but I can't sit through this knowing a woman is dead because of the actions of the director and writer.

22. Nathan

23. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

There is no reason....but I'd be a liar if I told you I wasn't going to see this.

24. Nyquist

I must now go to the source Supporter

I am currently in the midst of a conversation with a black, female friend on Facebook about this and I am struggling to talk about this with her because I am a white male and I am afraid of both whitesplaining and mansplaining and I just don't know how to respond correctly. Basically, she posted a link to the trailer and said she couldn't wait to see this movie and I posted a link to an article about the rape case stating that I had personal issues with the director. She then responded with:

"That has nothing to do with the movie. He was acquitted, I have already tweeted my issues. I will still see this movie."

So then I tried to fumble a response centered around the point @Dominick made above to which she responded with:

"That's you, you don't have to if that is how you feel. I notice that, number one, it's quite odd that he made this movie about a slave rebellion and this scandal was dug up to discredit the film. People only love slave movies when it shows at lease one white person trying to help out the the slaved Africans. This movie does not have anything to do with the case."

I don't know where to go from here, again as a white male. Should I just drop this?