Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Birds

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by theagentcoma, Dec 31, 2023.

1. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

The older I get, the more I pay attention to birds. I blame it on the boardgame Wingspan. I'm out here in the backyard ignoring my daughter in her swing because I'm trying to use an app to call a duet with a ruby-crowned kinglet. I got so stoked when I found out a great horned owl lived in our backyard at night. And I gave up a golf match to ID a bunch of waterfowl that were all over the course.

I think I'm gonna get a birdfeeder and binoculars, just get lit and watch the show. Try to ID 100 birds before the end of 2024.

What's everyone's favorite bird story? Best story gets a 30% off coupon for the Steam version of Wingspan

2. dylan

Most-liked person on chorus Supporter

man fuck birds

3. theagentcoma

@mods ban this man

JoshIsMediocre and Brent like this.
  4. MidDave

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

…aren’t real

5. JRShoenberger

Trusted

The designer of Wingspan just released a game about the Soviet attempt at domesticating foxes, and it’s fantastic. The Fox Experiment.

theagentcoma likes this.
  6. Allthegiganticthings

Regular

Wowww it’s wild that this thread is here at this time. So I just read ‘Bird Therapy’ which is a nice read about the author’s troubles with mental health and developing a form of therapy that involves bird watching to connect with nature, self, others, etc. Decent read but more interesting is that I’m sitting here drinking my morning coffee and looking out the window for birds. Don’t see any so I impulsively pick up my phone, go to the chorus forums for the first time in a bit and this thread is the very top one. It’s all a simulation, man! And maybe birds are in on it.
    Anyways, I love birds. My white elephant gift for someone this Xmas was a feeder that suctions to a window for great viewing.
    And, my late sisters nickname was bird so I have one tattooed on my arm.

That’s it, thank you for coming to my Ted talk.

7. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

My dad was a birdwatcher and told me all about birds, now that he's not here to tell me about them (and now that we're in a house) it's made me more interested in putting out feeders and a bath

8. PureBlueSF

Regular Supporter

theagentcoma likes this.
  9. Allthegiganticthings

Regular

theagentcoma likes this.
  10. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

I'm not paying three benjamins to watch birds eat.

Allthegiganticthings likes this.
  11. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I have pet chickens. HIGHLY recommend.

12. Halitosis Jones

Too lazy for Fajitas

Corvids are cool and smart and full of personality.

Mockingbirds are dicks who try to fuck with every other bird.

theagentcoma and Brent like this.
  13. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Do the chickens have large talons?

14. theagentcoma

I've seen that, seems pretty daunting but I'm nowhere near as experienced with board games as you. Her new mushroom game on KS looks freaking awesome:

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...signed-by-elizabeth-hargrave-and-mark-wootton

Love this. I need to get a feeder so I can 'backyard bird' casually lol

I remember you mentioning this before, crazy how birds connect everything and everyone

Fucking Dustin likes this.
  15. Garrett

IMG_5110.jpeg

16. theagentcoma

lmaooo I was looking at log books for bird sightings on Amazon and this review haha

upload_2024-1-2_9-24-6.png

JoshIsMediocre and Garrett like this.
  17. additional_pylons

Regular

Weird question, but are they loud? Our city allows it but I worry I'd bother the neighbors.

18. Garrett

They can be at times, but generally they’re lower levels of noise/quiet. They have over 100 vocalizations. The loudest is generally the “danger!” alarm and the “just laid an egg” laugh. But if you stick with hens, it’ll mostly be just inter-flock vocalization at a pretty low volume.

additional_pylons likes this.
  19. Halitosis Jones

Too lazy for Fajitas

Sometimes I randomly remember that birds are technically dinosaurs (they are not the descendents of dinosaurs, they are dinosaurs). I have known this forever but it still kind of blows my mind every time I think of it.

JoshIsMediocre and theagentcoma like this.
  20. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

my mom got us a bird feeder with a camera on it and in 3 days all we got were fat squirrels that ate all the food.

21. Halitosis Jones

Too lazy for Fajitas

Yeah in my town you're allowed hens, but not roosters for noise reasons

I have had neighbors who had chickens, and generally I can hear them in their backyard from a couple streets away.

22. additional_pylons

Regular

Gotcha. 100 vocalizations is wild! I feel like it'd probably be fine where we're at. Def would stick with like 2-3 hens, just enough to have a decent supply of eggs around

23. Garrett

It also greatly helps reduce food waste. What they don't eat, composts as fertilizer for our garden beds.

24. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

I have 3 different bird tattoos, a raven, male and female cardinals and a hummingbird.

25. theagentcoma

ok

JoshIsMediocre and imthegrimace like this.