Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Birds Of Prey And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Cathy Yan, February 7, 2020) Movie • Page 9

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

What a bitchin’ good film, y’all.

Serh and ghostedaway like this.
  2. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

SteveLikesMusic likes this.
  3. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I enjoyed watching this movie

scottlechowicz likes this.
  4. Tim

I don't get into Harley Quinn material that often, but when the character works for me, my goodness does she work. (On that note, if you wanna read a great comic reimagining her as a runaway hanging out w/ drag queens & battling gentrification, go buy Harley Quinn: Breaking Glass by Mariko Tamaki & Steve Pugh.) I really love what Margot Robbie has brought to the character. Glad I only gotta wait a year & a half to see her again in The Suicide Squad.

Really into how they did Black Canary. The coolest looking Canary this side of the Annie Wu series (from the Batgirl of Burnside era). Love that she had the cry, & love that they referenced her mother (even though the timeline doesn't fit for said mother to be in the JSA w/out comic book shenanigans). Feel like she was in some ways the heart of the story, or maybe more accurately the soul? If they attempt a new version of Justice League w/ the DCEU remnants, she should be on the team. Though, I'd probably rather have more Birds of Prey than an improved Justice League.

I love how cool yet awkward Huntress was. Some great laughs from her. Cassandra Cain was dope, would love to see more of her (even though the cool Batgirl & Orphan costumes from the comics totally would never mesh w/ this version of the character). And, yeah, Renee Montoya was delightful, too; not really a weak spot in this ensemble.

Shakriel and ghostedaway like this.
  5. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

in the neighborhood of $4m thursday

6. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

I love how much Huntress / Mary reminded me of an evil ex in Scott Pilgrim, with the trying to be badass but cheesy line delivery thing...oh the tables have turned

7. Tim

The whole naming herself thing also had some fun Star Lords meets Arrow vibes, lol.

8. Tim

Also, someone please get me a screenshot of “voted for Bernie.”

9. Tim

Another post ‘cause why not, but, I liked how Cathy Yan decided to use aesthetic cues from the gosh awful [Academy Award winning film] Suicide Squad, when she totally didn’t need to, but it totally worked. Wonder if James Gunn will do so as well in his movie. Flashing logos & information onscreen is a fun device.

And, another fun device was the whole opening animated origin rundown, which is something more comic book films should consider playing with. Not necessarily in animated form (though other ways of meshing animation into live action superhero films would be cool), but just different ways of dumping information at the start in an entertaining way.

10. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

I only watch 1 out of every 20 or so comic book movies that come out.

Chances I'll still enjoy this/be able to follow it?

11. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Did you see Squad? That's really the only movie it references, even that you don't need to know much about. Just the back story between Harley and Joker.

12. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Didn't see Suicide Squad and don't really know the back story between Harley and Joker, or anything about Harley for that matter. Just considering seeing this because I have A-List and there's not much else left playing that I haven't seen already.

13. Tim

Anything you should know is very casually explained as the film goes along. If you’ve literally never watched a comic book film before in your life, you should still be fine.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  14. This was a lot of fun. Very hyperactive for better and worse. The action is creative and well executed, which was what I was looking forward to the most and appreciated. Enjoyed pretty much all the characters. Huntress was my favorite. Ewan McGregor was so over-the-top and really entertaining. This version of Zsasz was a little weird, idk if he's like that in the comics. I liked Anthony Carrigan's portrayal of him in Gotham a lot more.

BackyardHero11 and RyanPm40 like this.
  15. seeing this tomorrow night

16. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

tonight for me!

17. Tim

I want @Henry to watch this movie.

18. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I'm probably going tomorrow or Sunday. The positive reviews have me in. I'm a John Wick Stan, so I'm in.

19. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Didn’t really care for this unfortunately, actually kind of surprised its getting the praise it has but glad to have supported it, hope it does well, and glad to see other people digging.

20. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Harleen Quinzel said blue lives don't matter
    Huntress and Black Canary are so hot I'm gonna die
    I was worried there would be no birds but then Doc had birds
    the music cues are so good I'll forgive the Hit Me With Your Best Shot cover
    Ewan playing a sociopath supes flamboyant isn't cool, he was great but no reasons for the villains to be gay, and I don't knw what Chris Messina was doing with his voice haha
    Margot did a good job of keeping Harley relatively grounded, she was def intentionally cartoonish at times I think she literally quoted Bugs Bunny in the jail sequence, but overall I think they did a good job making her human and I think Margot did a good job showing how she was leaving an abusive relationship
    I have not seen the movie with the motherfucking creep who mailed everyone condoms but I was able to follow along just fine

RyanPm40 likes this.
  21. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

In the same boat, Harley is too over the top and cartoonish to be solo (I absolutely hate the sleepover line when they’re all in fear of dying). I was hoping one of the Birds of Prey would be able to be kind of the audience’s perspective and keep her in check, but that never really happened. The script as whole bordered on being “Kick Ass” level of terrible, but thankfully without the misogyny.

The slow-mo action scenes felt overdone in “Wonder Woman,” why are they still doing that? Also, the slow, brooding cover song - if there was a time to break the fourth wall, that was it.

Ewan and MEW were great. The whole ensemble has a ton of potential. I’m glad to support the movie and hope it means more female-centric/directed CMB. But this didn’t do much for me.

22. iCarly Rae Jepsen

also what is going on in Gotham that at least 2 children of wealthy families saw their parents/family murdered as young children eventually leading them to be vigilantes haha

Colby Searcy likes this.
  23. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

had a blast at the cinema

24. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

This was a lot of fun but thought the pacing was all sorts of off in the beginning with the flashbacks. Mary was awesome as huntress and the jokes landed really well. I love how much fun Margot and Ewan had playing their roles.

25. iCarly Rae Jepsen

I just realized this is basically a less sociopath Uncut Gems
    [​IMG]
    This is how I win