Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Birds Of Prey And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Cathy Yan, February 7, 2020) Movie • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Love the aesthetic.
    Love some of those shots of Harley, like w/ the dog & when she's apprehensively raising her fisticuffs.
    Love that there's apparently some random musical number for no good reason.
    Love Black Canary's look.
    Love that ridiculous zoom in on the guy whose legs got wrecked, which looks like it could've been in Punisher: War Zone.
    Love the other characters' reactions to Harley.
    Love the random crime stuff, which feels the way I want a hypothetical Sinister Six film to feel.
    Absolutely love Harley handing Cassandra a cartoonish stick of dynamite like it's nothing.

Between this & Venom 2, next year is gonna be such a good year for comic book movies that just really go for it, w/out taking themselves too seriously (while also avoiding the Deadpool temptation to pause constantly, look at the camera, & be like, "hey, look, I'm funny").

2. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Really, really sucks we're not actually getting a Birds of Prey movie. Oh well.

3. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I'm 50/50 on this. There was some stuff I just couldn't stand in that trailer.

4. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Yeah not really into what I saw from the trailer.

5. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Very uninteresting trailer

6. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Without Margot as a star and producer this literally wouldn't exist

But I understand not being into the tone

RyanPm40 likes this.
  7. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

If there's a surprise Poison Ivy cameo it'll all be worth it for me

8. Tim

xapplexpiex and scottlechowicz like this.
  9. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

I think a lot of people like the cast, but it doesn’t look like they will have near the screen time as Robbie.

Anthony_ likes this.
  10. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I've had a huge crush on MEW for years and Harley is my fave DC character. Those two things are not going to be the problem.

SteveLikesMusic likes this.
  11. Anthony_

Yeah the problem is that this amazing cast that everyone loves is getting pretty clearly sidelined in what is ostensibly supposed to be their own movie

12. NJPunkMusic

Die rad.

this is a big meh

13. xkaylinh Oct 1, 2019
    (Last edited: Oct 1, 2019)
    Even with the gray-area bad-guy protagonist in Gotham similarity, somehow this feels like the antithesis of the Joker movie, which I have been growing less and less excited for the closer we get to its release. I'm down for a Harley and Friends movie, Margot is great in the role, and like, in general. If it does well, hopefully it means we might get more of the other actors/characters in the future. I'm hoping this is a bit more nuanced thematically than "girl power is good."

edit: oh is it perhaps because Joker is "white man vs. society" and this is "women vs. patriarchy?" "Emancipation" is in the title hmmhmm

FlayedManOfSF and Tim like this.
  14. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Tim likes this.
  15. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

100% yes.

Tim likes this.
  16. I'm into it. Looks like a ton of fun. I love the look of the movie and, and the action looks pretty good (loved that dropkick shot haha). Not exactly sure what the story is, but I'm more excited for this now than I was initially.

Tim, Kuri44 and scottlechowicz like this.
  17. I'm Harley Freakin' Quinn ehhh so cringey

18. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

So is he ever actually going to wear a black mask?

19. Kuri44

Yeah this looks like a good time.

Tim likes this.
  20. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Yeah this looks fucking great.

Surprised that others seem to be digging it too

Tim likes this.
  21. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

The trailer has me excited. And from what I heard, the movie was supposed to focus on Harley Quinn, so idk why there’s all the confusion.

22. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

The amount of hate this trailer is getting from men around Facebook is astounding.

23. FlayedManOfSF

Trusted

If the movie is half as good as the aesthetic we're in for a treat.

xapplexpiex likes this.
  24. Anthony_

It was originally announced as a Birds of Prey movie that she happened to also be in. Then they revealed the official title and everyone was confused because we thought we were getting a Birds of Prey movie. Also it's still called Birds of Prey for some reason. If they had just called it "The Fantabulous Emancipation of Harley Quinn" then there wouldn't have been any confusion/disappointment. I was originally really excited for a Birds of Prey movie so it's disappointing that it's not what it seemed like it would be at first.

25. Tim

I dunno, if Gail Simone sees it as a Birds of Prey movie, then it's a Birds of Prey movie.

As someone who's tired of the MCU, especially Stark, getting all up in my Spider-Man, I get how a Birds of Prey story w/ this much Harley would frustrate longtime fans of that property. But at the same time, this pretty clearly is a Birds of Prey story, just centered on a character & actress w/ more broad appeal (somewhat like Wolverine anchoring the X-Men, or how Deadpool would've driven X-Force had that materialized). Who knows where this ends up going in the long run.