Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Billy Talent Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Gnarly Charlie, May 12, 2016.

1. Gnarly Charlie

Good guy, but a bad dude

Just announced their new album, Afraid of Heights, due out July 29.

bd007h likes this.
  2. bd007h

chorus.fm's resident Meg Myers fan #GoSabres/Bills

I like the few songs I've heard from these guys but I can only take the lead singer's voice in small doses haha.

With that said the new song is pretty good.

3. skurt

Sleekest of beaks. So Good.

Love this new song, hopefully there drummer can rejoin them soon.

4. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

Song is v good. Like it a lot. More people need to be turned on to Billy. Underrated band.

5. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

Solid bunch of dudes and great band. Love me some Billy Talent.

New song is solid stoked to hear the rest.

Sidenote: Kingdom of Zod and Chasing the sun are 2 great underated tracks. Especially Chasing the sun would be interesting to hear more tunes like that one on the new record.

6. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Always thought I should listen to this band more. I've really dug everything I've heard from them.

DejaMoi likes this.
  7. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

Devil in a midnight mass still rips. Awesome as a first single and album opener as well.

8. allastud

Regular

Being from Canada its funny to hear them referred to as underrated as they are HUGE up here.

9. bd007h

chorus.fm's resident Meg Myers fan #GoSabres/Bills

I'm American but I'm sure the same could be said for Our Lady Peace (my favorite band).

10. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

I thought they broke up.

First album rules. Haven't listened to 2 in years and that's as far as I got.

11. Gnarly Charlie

Good guy, but a bad dude

Louder than the DJ

12. skurt

Louder than the DJ was a bit of a grower for me but i enjoy it now. There is live videos of Big Red Gun from the weekend floating around as well.

13. Gnarly Charlie

Good guy, but a bad dude

It's missing the harsh vocals but I dig it

14. abear182

Regular

Can't believe this band is so small in the US.

Here they're headlineing a festival in Germany last night!

15. y2jayjk

Trusted Prestigious

i still listen to the first album a ton to this day

muttley likes this.
  16. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

First album is so good.

17. y2jayjk

Trusted Prestigious

Actually I dig Billy Talent II as well. Totally gonna go see them in September here

18. Gnarly Charlie

Good guy, but a bad dude

This new album is pretty good so far.

19. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Was listening to II the other day. Was very disappointed in III, and never listened to Dead Silence.

Optimistic for this.

20. Gnarly Charlie

Good guy, but a bad dude

Dead silence is great. 3 gets better with more listens. This new album doesn't have as much of an edge as dead silence or their early stuff but I like it.

21. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

22. Jack Wilmott

Self-described freestyle wizard poet.

It is odd that they are fairly unknown in U.S. They are big in the UK too. Not as big as Germany.

I actually probably rate 3 as my favourite record but there is so little in it for me. Surprised people don't rate it. Both 3 and Dead Silence took a while to grow on me though.

I don't think this band has done much wrong though. Very unique sound.

23. tomtom94

Trusted

So, anyone listened to Afraid of Heights and have any thoughts?

I've listened to it once through and it's pretty good. I reckon Louder Than The DJ is the best single they've released since Red Flag. Not sure it's quite up to Dead Silence yet as an album but it's definitely got more of the Viking Death March / II anger.

skurt likes this.
  24. skurt

I have been really enjoying it, really great listen all the way through. February Winds is an incredible song,I don't care for the reprise of Afraid of Heights and deleted it so February Winds acts as the closer. Ben sounds awesome, Ian's backups are stronger than ever. Jordan did a great job filling in on drums.
    My current Standouts: February Winds, Louder Than The DJ, Big Red Gun, Ghost Ship of Cannibal Rats and Time Bomb Ticking Away.

That said, I genuinely don't think there is a bad track on this record and it flows really well to me. I feel it is a great mix of Dead Silence/II while still being uniquely it's own.

25. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

This album is pretty damn good. Always been a pretty big fan and wish they received more attention in the states. Never understood why they never caught on.

skurt likes this.