Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Billy Talent – “Afraid Of Heights”

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 13, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. TDenverFan

Regular

I like it a lot. I feel like these guys are one of the most underrated bands.

Album comes out July 29th

3. skurt

Sleekest of beaks. So Good.

Album of the same name comes out July 29th via The End records and you can preorder it here: Billy Talent Choose Store

Jordan "Ratbeard" Hastings of Alexisonfire was the session drummer for the album and temp tour drummer, while Aaron Solowoniuk is on hiatus from complications with his MS.

Love the new track, hoping for some jams like Viking Death March on the album.

4. tomtom94

Trusted

It sounds like something off Billy Talent II but with that bit more restraint and maturity that comes with age.

It's pretty good. Doesn't grab me as much as Viking Death March (which single-handedly sold me on Billy Talent as a band a few years ago) but then again it's not that type of song.

FTank likes this.
  5. Fox83

Trusted

It doesn't really pack much of a punch for a Billy Talent single. It reminds me of a song that could have fit on III a lot though, which grew on me over time. I'll always check out anything these guys release.

6. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

I really enjoy this. Underrated band. People don't know what they're missing out on.

7. chickenlover

Said I'm okay, but I know how to lie.

Didn't like it at first listen. Was kinda boring. Now I think it's okay, even catchy, but still it's a little bit of a letdown for me.

I really really like that guitar riff though!

8. CMilliken

Trusted

Somehow I completely forgot about this band. Dig the song.

9. Buscemi knows best

You owe me a Sausage McMuffin

Didn't know they had new music on the way, awesome!

This song doesn't do much for me on its own, it lacks the punch and energy I expect from Billy Talent. Can see it working just fine within the album, though. Will definitely buy.

10. redwing91007

Next Show - Foals April 22nd

Been a big fan since just after II came out. Also being a huge Alexisonfire fan (clearly) I'm pumped to see what Ratbeard is going to bring to the table on this. I know they all have a great relationship and I'm expecting great things.

11. kidwithhelmet

WELCOME THRILLHO Supporter

Was really expecting to dig this, and didn't. Oh well it's prompted me to spin S/T!

12. ReiAndCoke

Come to Canada ha. You're guaranteed to hear Billy Talent on the radio 5 times per day. Not that I'm complaining.

smoke4thecaper likes this.
  13. redwing91007

Haha ya they are well represented here and play arenas

14. GetUpAndrew

Constant horror and bone-deep dissatisfaction.

Really good track, for me.

15. FloatThroughMe

Regular Supporter

So excited for this album after hearing this single.

16. ReiAndCoke

Billy Talent actually made me wonder what bands in other countries are absolutely massive in their homeland, but outside of their own country aren't really half as big (I'm aware that Billy Talent are definitely a "known entity" elsewhere, hence this news post).

For example, in Canada The Hip could sell out arenas any day of the week, but I'd guess they haven't been played regularly on mainstream radio in the States in decades.

Would be kinda cool to see a list of "monster" bands in their homeland who never really broke out elsewhere.

17. smoke4thecaper

One band I love, the Living End, are massive in Australia, but not in North America.

I'm a fan of a few Canadian bands w/ zero presence or popularity in the US though. I'm always urging people to listen b/c I want them all to tour here too hahaha

Spencer Rhoton likes this.
  18. DallasSF

Biffy Clyro is one that seems to be massive in Scotland/The UK, but can't break through in the States.

Stereophonics too, maybe (not sure how big they are these days over there).

For Canada, I know Arkells, Tragically Hip, Hedley, don't have near the same following stateside.

ReiAndCoke likes this.
  19. redwing91007

A few that come to mind:
    Enter Shikari - UK
    Foals - UK (they are headlining Reading but are the 3rd band on the bill for a Cage the Elephant tour...)
    Biffy Clyro - UK

Not exactly in the same vein but Volbeat is MASSIVE in Denmark compared to NA

20. DallasSF

Foals just hd themselves a #1 modern rock hit in the States with "Mountain At My Gates". Didn't do what "Do I Wanna Know" did for Arctic Monkeys, but it helped.

21. redwing91007

It still took them 4 albums to get anywhere in NA when they have had quite a bit of success in the UK for years. They are finally getting the recognition they deserve but it's still a long road to match what they have achieved overseas.

22. ReiAndCoke

Ya, Biffy Clyro are awesome. Until a couple years ago I'd never heard them on the radio. I'd heard of them but didn't know their music. After hearing Black Chandelier I went back and started listening to their older stuff and it's awesome -- new single is kinda shit sadly.

23. smoke4thecaper

Twin Atlantic is pretty big in the UK, no? I enjoy them (yes, even the last "arena rock" album), but like Biffy, they don't have a big following here.

24. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Really liking this. Was always a casual fan, but am definitely getting into this one.

25. Audrey Horne

Regular Prestigious

My excitement for their releases is always hampered by the fact that they never tour the us. I've only gotten to see them once when they were opening for MCR years ago.