Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Billy Joel Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cshadows2887, Mar 7, 2016.

1. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Don't need an official wiki bio. He's The Piano Man. He's had more hits than some entire record labels.

2. Snewt

Does whatever a spider can. Prestigious

You have inspired me to throw on The Stranger. I love the hell out of that album.

mattfreaksmeout and cshadows2887 like this.
  3. cshadows2887

Phenomenal album. I will never understand how "Vienna" wasn't a big hit

stnewton likes this.
  4. cshadows2887

"Everybody Has a Dream" went up a ton in my esteem today after 20 years of knowing every word. All of a sudden I was listening to how well Billy sings gospel and was just wowed

5. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

LOVE Billy, Scenes from An Italian Restaurant was my introduction to him via my mom many years ago, what a hell of a song

mattfreaksmeout likes this.
  6. cshadows2887

There are so many things to love about that song but the real moment of genius is that transition into the instrumental break where Richie Canata just WAILS on the sax

7. irthesteve

True beauty

8. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

I'm still coming off the high of seeing him live in Saturday. He put on one hell of a show, and his voice sounded as perfect today as it did on record 40 years ago, unreal. His live band was extremely tight as well, some incredible horn players on stage with him. The whole thing felt surreal and even after 2 and a half hours straight, I didn't want it to end. I don't have enough good things to say about that show. Setlist below...

Billy Joel Setlist at Lambeau Field, Green Bay

mattfreaksmeout and cshadows2887 like this.
  9. cshadows2887

After a long time of saying his politics were private and not something he wanted to lecture his audiences about, he wore a yellow star of David on his suit at his Garden concert. Dayum.

mattfreaksmeout and irthesteve like this.
  10. quietwords

RIP EmoPunkKid28: 2002-2016 Prestigious

Simple, powerful way to make a statement. Love it.

Seeing him a week from today at Fenway. Fifth time seeing him, third at Fenway. Can't wait.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  11. lina555

Regular

Really great musician) I like him)

12. Love Billy! So so many good tunes.

13. cshadows2887

Happy 40th birthday to The Stranger, one of the greatest albums ever made.

14. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

The Stranger is probably my favorite album from the 70s. You could actually put that album on and tell people it was a greatest hits album, and they'd believe you. But no, it's actually just one amazing album. Scenes From An Italian Restaurant is one of the best songs ever written, period. Seeing that one live is more a spiritual experience than Piano Man for me, and seeing Piano Man is already pretty damn spiritual.

ChiliTacos and irthesteve like this.
  15. quietwords

Just scored tickets to his Fenway show this summer. Will have seen 4 of his 5 shows there. And he's playing on my birthday this year. It's gonna get silly.

16. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I'm also going to my 4th show at Wrigley out of 5.

Well technically he played in like 2009 with Elton John, but 5 since he made it an annual thing. It's so fun to have this to look forward to every year, I hope he just keeps on doing it.

17. quietwords

Same. It sounds silly but without going into detail (again), the shows mean a lot to me.

mattfreaksmeout likes this.
  18. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Not silly at all! I was raised on his music, so this is the second time I'm going with my family which makes it really cool. His shows really have a special feeling to them.

19. cshadows2887

One of my all-time favorite fuck-yous in music history:

For anyone who doesn't know the context: the Grammys gave Sinatra a Legend Award and then cut to commercial in the middle of his speech. So Billy decided to make a point during his performance.

20. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

SuddenUrgeJoey likes this.
  21. Mark III

Formerly Someone Else

Perfect timing. I've been on a Billy Joel kick the last few days

22. irthesteve

whoaaahhh really? I mean, I really hope that the fact that he doesn't release new music means that this will be great, but I am cautious....

cshadows2887 and mattfreaksmeout like this.
  23. Atticus5143

Trusted

This is a wild development. Never thought i’d see the day.

chewbacca110 and mattfreaksmeout like this.
  24. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Really curious to hear more about what led to this. A flash of inspiration? A specific reason he wrote this song? Will it lead to more? I just hope he did it because he had something to say, rather than external pressure, because I've always found it kind of beautiful how he decided he had said all he needed to say.

irthesteve likes this.
  25. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Didn't realize he actually released a song in 2007 as well though